My Bhut Jolokia Plant

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
PanChango

My Bhut Jolokia Plant

Post by PanChango »

I love growing and eating chilies. Each year I grow a few different varieties, smoke and dry them.

This year I am growing Bhut Jolokia and Red Savina Habaneros along with some mild New Mexico peppers.

My ghost plant is almost waist high and loaded. I am pretty excited about this plant and wanted to post a pic. I am hoping for over 100 peppers from this one.

Any other chili gardeners/heads?

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have done Jalapenos for years and this year I am tending several Habanero plants. I'm sure I could google it and learn lots, but do you have any tips for drying your peppers?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

Hey Landon last year I pulled all my cayenne plants the day before first frost, I want to say it was Oct. 14. I hung the from a light fixture that was in the same room as my woodstove for a couple of weeks...they are still sitting in mason jar in the kitchen right now perfect, hot and ready to eat.

On a side note I am growing the "hottest pepper in the world" the Carolina Reaper. We didn't start it till late so I don't know if we'll get peppers off of it though.
Military // PM 2 // Endura // Delica // Stretch // SE Tasman // SE Hawkbill Ladybug
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Very Nice. I tried to grow reapers, but the plants got hit by frost and didn't make it through.

I use a cheapy food dehydrator. IIRC, it is a Mr. Coffee dehydrator that I bought at Walmart over a decade ago. It was under $20 at the time.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

My neighbor is from Guadalajara Mexico, so he gave me some seeds. There are unknown as far as the real name (I asked & he didn't know), but they are hot & have a great flavor. They're about 1" long when fully grown, a smaller type, but very nice to cook with. Anyone know what they're called? I've kept this plant alive for about 4 years now. I cover it when we have frost, but it has done pretty well this year again and is setting more now.

Ned

Post by Ned »

Cool thread, I grow peppers every year; last year I grew lots of Jalapenos, and Cayenne, this year I'm only growing Serrano and orange bells..neither is doing well for some reason. Very sickly looking plants.. :(
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Love hot foods but ghost peppers are past what I enjoy. I used to get into some crazy hot sauce but lost the taste for it and lean more towards spicy than hot now. I practically grew up in a garden but didn't inherit a green thumb so I'm not very good at growing things. I've been told it takes a very mean person to kill a cactus and I've never had one live for longer than a few months lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

When I lived in Texas I grew Thai Dragon peppers. I loved those and they produced a LOT ;) Here in Ohio our season is much shorter and I haven't had good luck with them.

Like David, I've kinda moved away from that "burn you to ashes" level of heat but still enjoy Sriracha on lots of things.

Ken
玉鋼
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I was conditioned to eating hot stuff from an early age. My father was a chili fanatic and brought many varieties of seeds back with him while working over seas. Everything doesn't have to be screaming hot, but I like a bit of zip to most of what I cook.

Here's a pic but it's a little hard to make out. Bottom Right is Yellow Cayanne, Next to it is a pair of habanero plants, green beans to the right, New Mexico Chilis and buttercup squash in the background.

chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Last year on a whim planted a serrano plant and it went swimmingly! Made some home made hot sauce with it and it was really delicious. This year I have a habanero, poblano, thai, and jalapeno plant in the garden. The weather has not be too awesome for growing habaneros so they are coming along slowly, but the poblano and jalapenos are looking good!
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I usually grow a few plants. This year, I'm trying to get my Manzano plant (Capsicum pubescens) to fruit for a second year. It wintered over last winter in my basement and it sprung back to life this spring. So far, only minimal flowering, however. I fear that it won't give me any yield this year.

Manzano is a truly beautiful plant - totally different species than Capsicum Annuum, Capsicum Chinense, and Capsicum Frutescens. The flowers are purple, the stems are thick, woody and hairy. And the fruit is bright red and shaped like an apple. It also has a different kind of heat than any other pepper I've ever eaten. Very strong and it grabs you by the back of the throat - it isn't a tongue-burner, but it will get your attention!

TedP

I don't have a pic of this year's anemic specimen... but here's a picture of one of my first Manzano plants:

Here are some pics of my pepper garden from years' past:
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

chuckd wrote:Last year on a whim planted a serrano plant and it went swimmingly! Made some home made hot sauce with it and it was really delicious. This year I have a habanero, poblano, thai, and jalapeno plant in the garden. The weather has not be too awesome for growing habaneros so they are coming along slowly, but the poblano and jalapenos are looking good!
My habanero plants were a little slow to start as well, but have recently come into their own. Most of my mild plants aren't doing much of anything this year and it is pretty disappointing. I picked two Jalapenos but now the plant has no new ones on it. Only one of my four New Mexico plants is doing anything. The rest still look like Charlie Browns Christmas tree.
phillipsted wrote:I usually grow a few plants. This year, I'm trying to get my Manzano plant (Capsicum pubescens) to fruit for a second year. It wintered over last winter in my basement and it sprung back to life this spring. So far, only minimal flowering, however. I fear that it won't give me any yield this year.

Manzano is a truly beautiful plant - totally different species than Capsicum Annuum, Capsicum Chinense, and Capsicum Frutescens. The flowers are purple, the stems are thick, woody and hairy. And the fruit is bright red and shaped like an apple. It also has a different kind of heat than any other pepper I've ever eaten. Very strong and it grabs you by the back of the throat - it isn't a tongue-burner, but it will get your attention!

TedP
I only once tried to winter a Chile Tepin plant due to the long growing season it requires. It died midway through the winter.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have grown some Ghost Peppers, but they didn't turn out as nice as yours look.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Finally starting to ripen. First one...