Would you pay over $1000 for a knife?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

Would you pay $1000 for a knife?

Yes
45%
No never
55%

Total votes: 60

Johnnie1801

Would you pay over $1000 for a knife?

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Recently I have seen a few knives that cost well over $1000, most notably from the Japanese company Rockstead. I can see myself one day buying a knife for $400-$500 but I don't think I could ever justify paying more than that. One of the reasons I like Spyderco so much is that they deliver a bang for every buck, they make quality knives for a great price. Rockstead state on their website that the ZDP steel that they use will never have to be sharpened, well isn't part of the fun of owning a knife to maintain it and sharpen it? Are these $1000 knives basically for serious collectors or very wealthy individuals who want to show off? I think I'd have to buy an insurance policy every time I took one of these knives outside, lol.

So what do you guys think would you pay over $1000 for a knife?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I draw the line at $150.00 on ANY knife!!! Thats it!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

If the knife is right, I could see myself paying that for a knife. I doubt I would invest in a $1000+ "art knife", but a hand made functional tool, yeah it could happen. I almost paid $950 for a Jeff Horn custom a while back, but I chickened out.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

If I could score one of Brad Southard's customs, I'd pay $1000. It would have to be the right design and materials, but yeah, I could see myself paying that much.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

No thank you. I probably wouldn't enjoy using it. It's all relative I think though. To some people $1000 is not that much money. That's a big chunk of change for those that live week to week.

I'm very happy with the value that can be found in the $75 - $175 range.
Military // PM 2 // Endura // Delica // Stretch // SE Tasman // SE Hawkbill Ladybug
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I have, and would do so again. However, I would not pay that kind of money for a production knife, or even for a less than one of a kind custom.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

It's being said that the correct price for something is whatever the buyer agrees to pay.

That said, for me a knife is a tool, and all and every single one of my large knife collection are users.
:cool: If you wanna pay a grand for a cutting tool well, it's up to you.

It's really funny to notice how over 99% of the expensive knives (+ $500) across the web are pristine shelf queens which are hidden in a vault.
:rolleyes: The only really expensive knives that I have seen widely used and abused are mine, so for me the average joe who pays that grand for a blade will never ever use it. And it's a real shame to pay that kind of cash for a tool that will never be used.
Stay Sharp!
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I used buy $1000+ customs fairly regularly. But then I bought a house, got married, etc. Fun money was redirected to much more important things. I would still buy one, but it would have to be very special to me.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

$200 is pushing it for me. $1000 for a gun is another store. After all, it has more moving parts.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

LC Kid wrote:Hi Folks!

It's being said that the correct price for something is whatever the buyer agrees to pay.

That said, for me a knife is a tool, and all and every single one of my large knife collection are users. :cool:

If you wanna pay a grand for a cutting tool well, it's up to you.

It's really funny to notice how over 99% of the expensive knives (+ $500) across the web are pristine shelf queens which are hidden in a vault. :rolleyes:

The only really expensive knives that I have seen widely used and abused are mine, so for me the average joe who pays that grand for a blade will never ever use it. And it's a real shame to pay that kind of cash for a tool that will never be used.
Why? I can understand that collecting may not be your personal cup of tea, but if something brings pleasure every time one looks at it, is that not a legitimate form of pleasure? After all, people pay that much and more for paintings that will never do anything more than hang on a wall, sculptures that will spend their lives sitting on a shelf, antique firearms they'd never think of shooting, and coins and stamps that they'll never even touch directly for fear of devaluing them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yes, it is amazing the things people would rather have than money.

The only way I'd spend a grand on a knife is if I won over $100,000,000 on the lottery.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
ourgon

Post by ourgon »

Yes, if I have free $1000 and knife is custom from Bob Terzuola. :D
:spyder: Street Bowie
:spyder: Street Beat
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Starmate 440V
:spyder: Police SS
:spyder: Endura IV FG
:spyder: ClipiTool
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

the knife waiting for me in the mail at home sells for 1000-1200........

The one I traded for it cost 950- 1000 after getting the maker to modify it ....

I have one on order that will cost me $3000 made by Stan Wilson (non flipper flipper)

Sooooo Yes
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

jmh58 wrote:I draw the line at $150.00 on ANY knife!!! Thats it!! John
I'm with you on that. So far $150.00 is the most I've paid for a knife.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Nope.. Knock a zero off and cut that in half and that's about where I'm at.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Not to wander too far off topic but this reminds me of what someone said once to me, and I would like your responses, please. A person critical of knives saw that I bought a Spyderco folder, and the price was like sixty dollars at the time. They told me "You selfish, do you know how many hungry people that could have provided for? You should have bought a 10 dollar knife, and used the rest to feed those people instead." What would you say to this?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Nothing. I don't talk to idiots unless I'm getting paid.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

I draw the line at about $300. Though I've wanted a Busse knife for years. I just can't rationalize spending that much on something right now.
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
Jax

Post by Jax »

Yes
If it was something I wanted and was truly enthusiastic about.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I voted no because at this point in my life I have yet to see a knife that's worth that kind of money for what I use a knife for. Maybe if Sal himself sat down with me and designed a one off custom exactly how I wanted it, and made me a few spare blades for future replacement, then I'd pay that much. It's just hard for me to justify that kind of money when I have this Manix 2 at 1/10 the price and it cuts the way it does as long as it does.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David