Traditional pocket knife quest for Christmas possible

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Traditional pocket knife quest for Christmas possible

Post by jackknifeh »

I have always loved traditional pocket knives even though for most use I prefer Spyderco's. I've gotten then sold a few Case's, etc. because I just found myself not liking them. So I have decided to get another one (since I don't have any right now). This time however I'm only interested in something that is beautiful (to me). Blade steel quality is also important but I don't expect to find anything with M4 or anything like that. What I would buy today if I had the extra cash is one from the selection of GEC 4" (closed) stockman's on the following link.

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/81/?sort=alphaasc

Any input on knives and/or places to get then between now and Christmas is invited and appreciated. Cost of course is a consideration but NOT the final determiner. Unless I have an opportunity for a great deal or price I plan on spending what it takes to get something I'll enjoy carrying and using. Anyway, I'd appreciate any info from those who are more familiar with shopping for more traditional knives. I'm pretty picky though. I've already gotten knives like this but the desire to carry them didn't last. They've all been too small or something.

Jack
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Can't really say much on that knife, but as far as traditional knives go, I've been in love with this Johnny Cash Case ever since it came out. I'll probably buy one someday if I ever have spare funds.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

There are a few that GEC makes that are pretty large. The Ben Hogan, The 2 built on the #54 pattern which are the Big Jack and the Harness Jack are good examples.
If you want to go really big...the Whaler, Lumber Jack and Roughneck are the way to go too.

Lots of places to buy that are excellent to deal with. I deal a lot with Gary over at http://www.northwestknifecompany.com/ He is a really nice guy and his prices are among the best.
On the hunt for...
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have a Canal Street Cutlery knife with D2, which I consider a quality steel. The knife seems like very high quality to me. They have been making the cannitler knife with different scales in batches of 100 all with D2 blades. Knives ship free sells them. The main blade is also very thick, it must be at least 3mm stock, probably 4mm, but the swedge and everything make it feel like it's thinner.

G Sakai also makes a SAK style knife with a large ZDP blade. I believe I posted a review in a thread about a better swiss army knife. I can find it if you want me to.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I really like the looks of Knives ship free's own name brand Northwoods.

I just looked and they have a variety of steels for them. I see one with D2 blades, 420 HC (I'm not sure what HC is the equivalent to), 1095.

I should email him and ask if he plans to do any in super steel.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:There are a few that GEC makes that are pretty large. The Ben Hogan, The 2 built on the #54 pattern which are the Big Jack and the Harness Jack are good examples.
If you want to go really big...the Whaler, Lumber Jack and Roughneck are the way to go too.

Lots of places to buy that are excellent to deal with. I deal a lot with Gary over at http://www.northwestknifecompany.com/ He is a really nice guy and his prices are among the best.
The 4" closed stockman model is as big as I've ever wanted or really bigger than I normally want. These type knives I never really wanted anything big. In the past I've considered 3" closed a nice size. I've never seen a traditional style pocket knife strong enough to be considered even close to the strength of a GB, Manix2, etc. So, for knives like that I will carry them. Then the smaller knives I like the Manbug, D'fly, etc. So why get one traditional knife with only small blades or large blades. Also, the larger handle and a smaller blade as in the Delica wahr also made me think a 4" Stockman handle would give me a more secure grip even when using the smaller blades. This is the only reason I have considered a handle as large as 4". 3.5" has always been my absolute max. I have a Case small stockman that I never carry. I just prefer the Manbug. And this issue is HUGE for me in EDC folders. One hand operation. I have bacome a LOVER of this feature. When I need to open a bag of dog food I can grab the top of the bag with one hand and at the same time have my Chaparral or Stretch or whatever out and open AT THE SAME TIME. Without one hand operation I have to get the knife out then open it with both hands, then grat the bag and cut it open. I know this is actually a minor deal but whenever I don't have a one hand usable knife I always wish I did. Personal preference. The old "if only one" question were asked of me the first qualification for me would be a knife that can be opened with one hand.

But, I have always loved the more traditional knives and want one. I want several Spyderco's because the model types are so varied I can have a tool that is much more desirable for a given cutting task. The traditional knives that interest me (2-3 blades, 2.75"-3.5" closed) just don't give you the blade variety or strength I get when carrying a Manbug, Chaparral and GB (EDC set example). So, for a traditional knife I am thinking one a bit larger than I've looked at and/or bought in the past that will give me a variety of blade sizes along with a solid handle feel is a 4" Stockman. I have also considered a congress model with 4 blades. Also, since I won't be doing any "work" with the traditional knife I want it to be pretty with natural materials for the handle slabs. Stag or bone and I love stag. I've looked at the site you mentioned and will look some more. I also have settled for the most part on GEC because I like the half-stop feature when opening or especially closing the blades. Also I've heard great things about their quality.

This is where I am in the decision process. I can't get the GEC stockman I'd get if I could get it today because of a lack of money. This funds shortage for this will give me time to shop. Or, I may loose the desire to get one altogether. I'm like that. :o

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Donut wrote:I have a Canal Street Cutlery knife with D2, which I consider a quality steel. The knife seems like very high quality to me. They have been making the cannitler knife with different scales in batches of 100 all with D2 blades. Knives ship free sells them. The main blade is also very thick, it must be at least 3mm stock, probably 4mm, but the swedge and everything make it feel like it's thinner.

G Sakai also makes a SAK style knife with a large ZDP blade. I believe I posted a review in a thread about a better swiss army knife. I can find it if you want me to.
Donut wrote:I really like the looks of Knives ship free's own name brand Northwoods.

I just looked and they have a variety of steels for them. I see one with D2 blades, 420 HC (I'm not sure what HC is the equivalent to), 1095.

The Northwoods some of the brands that seem to pop up when looking for "Queen knives" look good. Isn't Canal Street Cutlery in the same "family" of knives as Queen. Same company owners or prior owners or something. :confused: :confused: :confused: I have a Queen small lockblade with D2 and I like the steel. The lock sorta works but I could easily force it closed without releasing the lock. The small Queen is a nice little knife without any of the normal F&F you expect, even for a $50 knife IMO. However, I really do like the little knife. You can open it one handed. Not easily, but it's doable. I've watched a few videos on KSF and like the Northwoods. I don't know much about it but I have stayed away from even looking at a knife blade with 420 steel even if it is supposed to have HC (high carbon). I may be wrong for thinking that way. I've never used it.

Jack
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

New to this forum but been lurking for a while, for some reason this thread has spoken to me, I have a few traditionals but by far Northwoods is my favorite, here is my Freemont Jack in Camel bone, awesome knife with unbelievable walk and talk not to mention easy opening pinch.

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Donut wrote:I really like the looks of Knives ship free's own name brand Northwoods.

My bro got the Hawthorne wharncliffe with green micarta last week. Sick little slippy.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Jack,

I have only been back into traditional slipjoints for a short while, but I have been reading and learning tons. For my money, if I was in your position, looking for a "beautiful" knife... the Northwoods line would be where I looked first.

Madison Barlow

Indian River Jack

I don't know if you are looking for a single or multi blade, but these are beauties to me. Side note.... mammoth ivory is much prettier!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DeathBySnooSnoo

Just an FYI....Northwoods knives are made by GEC. The quality is excellent.

Also, that Madison Barlow is one big knife.
On the hunt for...
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:
Also, that Madison Barlow is one big knife.
It is, but I love the look of it. Just my style.

Ken
玉鋼
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Jack, for one hand yet traditional looking, I recall something called Kershaw double cross.
Perhaps fitting into your requirement:http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... cus-blades
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

anagarika wrote:Jack, for one hand yet traditional looking, I recall something called Kershaw double cross.
Perhaps fitting into your requirement:http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... cus-blades
I have owned, used and broken both of the Kershaw models (doble duty and double cross). IMHO, they are not assembled as well as many other traditionals I have used. The blades all developed serious bladeplay and were barely usable by my standards.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

farnorthdan wrote:New to this forum but been lurking for a while, for some reason this thread has spoken to me, I have a few traditionals but by far Northwoods is my favorite, here is my Freemont Jack in Camel bone, awesome knife with unbelievable walk and talk not to mention easy opening pinch.

First, welcome to the forum. Interesting your first post on the Spyderco forum is regarding other type knives but tha't perfectly fine. :)

That is a beautiful knife. I've always wondered what using a wharncliff blade a lot would be like. Never tried though. Not as the primary blade shape I mean. I'm pretty sure I want two or more blades for this purchase though. Of course I'm not typeing (or thinking) in stone.

xceptnl wrote:Jack,

I have only been back into traditional slipjoints for a short while, but I have been reading and learning tons. For my money, if I was in your position, looking for a "beautiful" knife... the Northwoods line would be where I looked first.

Madison Barlow

Indian River Jack

I don't know if you are looking for a single or multi blade, but these are beauties to me. Side note.... mammoth ivory is much prettier!
http://www.knivesshipfree.com/great-eas ... ialized-b/

Above is the first knife listed in the model I'm leaning toward at the moment. They have a seperate picture for every knife with stag so you can see THE knife you buy. Not just "stag" and the one you get won't look exactly like the picture. But the mamothivory is gorgeous. Not many mammoths running around lately. Wonder about cost. Will check but still, what's available on the model (stockman, congress, etc.) I want is possibly hard to match from one day to the next. I've emailed GEC about me buying the one perfect knife (I know, humorous :) ) and the reply was they may only make an established model in a few knives of a handle material they only get a little of. I'm sure this is a known factor in these type knives. Or maybe only having a limited amount of a given handle material may be why Spyderco may release a sprint run with that material that results in a limited number of knives like sprints do. Just a thought without knowledge. :) I have lots of thoughts without knowledge. :) This fact is known! :)

I appreciate all the input guys. I do NOT want to buy a lot of traditional pocket knives. So, as much info as I can get is great. It's harder to shop for what you don't know exists.

Jack

edit
I removed a statement I made in error. If you didn't notice, forget it. :)
DeathBySnooSnoo

The thing that is against Northwoods...the price. I think that because they are small batch production, they cost more to produce, and as much as I really like the guys at KSF (I've talked to a couple and they are really great guys) their prices aren't the best...so that ends up making the Northwoods knives a little more expensive than you might see for a similar GEC. I believe that the Madisons Mammoth are around $200.
On the hunt for...
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I highly recommend that you join the Case Collectors Club. You can find knives on there from one month old to over a hundred years old at good prices. You might even be able to trade for something and not even spend any money. They have buy sell trade threads a general thread and other knives we like thread. I ever saw a Spyderco Military on there a while back its $150 for life or $15 year.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

jackknifeh wrote:First, welcome to the forum. Interesting your first post on the Spyderco forum is regarding other type knives but tha't perfectly fine. :)

That is a beautiful knife. I've always wondered what using a wharncliff blade a lot would be like. Never tried though. Not as the primary blade shape I mean. I'm pretty sure I want two or more blades for this purchase though. Of course I'm not typeing (or thinking) in stone
Thank you for welcoming me Jack, its appreciated, and it is funny my first post here is about traditionals, I only recently got into spydercos but am totally hooked, I think I've purchased close to 20 within the last 9 months :D .

Northwoods are a little spendy but man are they nice and they make many multi-bladed pieces, they also seem to hold their resale value well on the secondary market especially the ones with limited runs.

Dan
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'll tell you that my Canal Street Cutlery has respectably strong springs.

Let me double check my G Sakai (with wood handle), but I think that has strong springs also.

I was having a hard time figuring out your priorities. From what I can tell you want, in this order:

1. Looks good to you.
2. High Quality
3. Good blade steel (not a high priority)
4. 4" blade max
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I highly recommend that you join the Case Collectors Club. You can find knives on there from one month old to over a hundred years old at good prices. You might even be able to trade for something and not even spend any money. They have buy sell trade threads a general thread and other knives we like thread. I ever saw a Spyderco Military on there a while back its $150 for life or $15 year.
I carried Case pocket knives and a few other companies in the Stockman or similar models all my life. I wasn't into knives at all and even now I'm not a collector. I never felt happy with the edge retention I could get from ANY knife I EDC'd. Better edge retention was the ONLY reason I decided to buy one better quality knife a rew years ago. Then Gerber's, SOG's and a couple other brands and none were much better regarding edge retention. One thing I've learned in the past couple to three years is the sharpening job on an edge can have as much to do with edge retention as the quality of the steel. To me that means the knives I've used all my life may not have been given a real good chance to provide edge retention because of my sharpening skill (or lack of). I could always get a knive sharp enough to shave arm hair is a couple of passes but I may have been leaving tiny burrs that after they snapped off during use left the edge cutting poorly even though they were still usable. I would sharpen a knife and think it's sharp, then open 10-12 boxes in one day and the edge is degraded significantly I was dissatisfied. I bought two Case knives about 3 years ago. A small stockman and a small Texas jackknife. The jackknife had CV blade steel which seemed pretty good. But, I ended up not really liking them enough to carry them very often. Once I had possession of them they didn't "fit" into what I wanted to carry. Can't explain. Pretty sure you know what I mean. Anyway, I don't think anything less than a supurb knife (in my mind) will do when it comes to a traditional style knife. For the traditional knife I'm picturing I've put a $150 price limit on the knife. That means I'm really thinking of $100-$175 or so depending on the knife and how much I have at the time.

When it comes to Spyderco's I like having several (all users). They all are of different sizes and strength (bug to GB :) ). They all have better than average (in my limited experience) blade steel. All can be operated with one hand (except bug). Most have clips for carry options. These are features that I've come to like in an EDC knife. Most of these features traditional pocket knives do not have. But, I still like them. Since I don't want a knife I won't use and traditional EDC knives don't have many of the features I want, any EDC traditional knife needs to explode with the features they do have. I'm going to list them in reply to another post below.

So, while Case makes some good knives I don't know that they will satisfy me for this purchase. Joining a collectors club seems a bit excessive for me since I am not a collector at all. I'd like to "collect" and might one day. The only thing I've been concerned with so far is knives I want to use. When I get a knife I end up not using much for one reason or another I end up selling it or trading it to try something else. One thing I remember though over the past 5 years or so. Videos from various people commenting on how the quality or whatever of Case (and others) have changed over the years. Things about the knives like the shields being glued or pinned being an indicator of quality. I understand pinned is longer lasting. I'm sure this is due to different owners and the financial state of the world. Of course I don't know how much the "reviewers" know. More than me I'm sure though. :)

Jack

Donut wrote:I'll tell you that my Canal Street Cutlery has respectably strong springs.

Let me double check my G Sakai (with wood handle), but I think that has strong springs also.

I was having a hard time figuring out your priorities. From what I can tell you want, in this order:

1. Looks good to you.
2. High Quality
4. 4" blade max
Pretty accurate on my desires. I'll try to go over this for my benifit. I am impulsive enough to buy something I like on a whim even though it doesn't meet all of my desires. Since I don't want several traditional knives I need to be pickier with this purchase.

1. Looks good to you.
This is possibly the most important issue for the knife I want. If I pull it out I want to LOVE looking at it. I'd even like it if every NKP who sees it passes out in admiration of the beauty. :) Aiming high??? :)

2. High Quality
This is a given. I want exceptional "walk and talk" as they say it in the videos. I want the half-stop feature when opening and closing the blade(s). I want absolutely NO blade play. When I buy I will stipulate this to the seller in notes. If they send me one with blade play they will get it back. If the knife develops blade play later that's on me but I don't plan on using the knife on anything that would be consider hard use at all.

I'm looking at carbon steel blades because I haven't seen any traditional knife company selling knives with the higher quality stainless steels. Even then, they don't seem to use the quality of blade steels that Spyderco is eager to try and use. Gotta give the "hats off" to Spyderco in this area. 1095 seems a likely candidate or D2. I'm counting on the manufacturer for the heat treat. So yes, blade steel quality is a big deal but I don't see any knives like this with CPM-M4 or anything like that. But, since my knife use is 90% light duty I don't really need the highest quality blade steel to keep up with my cutting needs.

4. 4" blade max
The 4" max is for the handle closed. The blades would then be between 3.5" down to 2" probably. This would give me a handle I can easily hang on to as well as small or larger blades to choose from. So, my handle closed target right now is 3.5" to 4". The 4" (closed) stockman I'm considering looks good right now. I don't buy it because I can't swing approx. $150. OTOH, not having the cash also forces me to do more careful shopping. Nothing like being BROKE to curb the impulsive purchases. :D

So, while a traditional knife will lack a couple of important features to me I've learned enough about knives in the past few years to be able to have a list of demands in one knife in a single purchase. My real problem is not caving when I see something I like and buying it even though it doesn't fill all my requirements because it's a nice knife and has a good price. A good price, if you noticed, is not on my list of important features. Any price limit I put on this is based on what I can afford. Not, the knife. If I see a knife that meets all my desires I'll pay what it costs as long as it's not just stupid expensive and I have the money.

Jack