Kershaw Emerson Knives: New

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Kershaw Emerson Knives: New

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The knife-designer and maker, Ernest Emerson, has partnered with Kershaw Knives to produce a line of Kershaw Emerson Knives. They have G-10 handles and blades made from 8Cr13MoV Stainless Steel. They have the patented Wave-Opener feature, and look pretty cool. They are also a fraction of the price of a hand-made Emerson Wave Opener. I wonder how quality differs as far as cutting ability and overall performance. I am sure the hand-made Emerson is the absolute best.

http://emersonknives.com/blog/ernest-emerson-kershaw/

http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives?search=emerson

There are two links where you can read about them and see pictures.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I bought one for a friend for a graduation gift. He beats the snot out of his knives so inexpensive was a big factor. He had never seen the wave so he really liked it. F&F seemed pretty decent, it's as nice as any Kershaw Walmart sells.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I have 2 Emerson's but I am not so hot on the Kershaw's. I haven't seen one in person but they look thin to me and there is a limit to just how great a frame lock can be for under fifty bucks. I kind of wish they hadn't done it personally however, I am interested to see Kai/ZT's 0620 series. With ZT's quality F&F it is like getting an Emerson custom for half the price.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

They feel really cheap to me but the price point is about right for what you get. I should probably state that after owning a few actual Emersons, that the design and concept just ain't for me. I would suggest the Tenacious series at the same price point. I will say the "Emershaws" have been welcomed very wishy washy on BF or USN by the Emerson crowd.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well of course the Emerson crowd turns their nose up, they have the elite real McCoy ;)
~David
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

I pre-ordered the ZT 0620. Anyone hear anything about an estimated release date?
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Jeremy_A_Neel wrote:I pre-ordered the ZT 0620. Anyone hear anything about an estimated release date?
All I have heard is 4th quarter, I hope its sooner.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

DRKBC wrote:All I have heard is 4th quarter, I hope its sooner.
Aw man, I first heard 2nd, then 3rd. Wonder what they're waiting for?
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
I just received my Kershaw Emerson CQC-6K that was my fathers day gift.
For the record, I have an Emerson Commander and a CQC-7 Mini B.
I feel that the Kershaw version is a good solid value for the price.
The fit and finish on mine is quite good, comparable to the Spyderco value line.
When it arrived, the pivot was adjusted fairly tight, and there was an excessive amount of lubricant present.
I disassembled the knife, gave it a good cleaning, removed the plastic backspacer, and reassembled the knife.
There are black standoffs or barrel spacers concealed by the plastic backspacer.
I noticed that the Kershaw didn't have the leaf spring with the ball in the liner opposite the lock.
After adjusting the pivot, the blade opened smoothly, and is flickable, with no play.
Lockup is solid at about 40%.
The wave feature works as well as the Emerson Commander that I have.
Weight might be an issue for some because of the steel framelock and solid liner, but gives the knife a sturdy feel.
The blade came sharp out of the box, and the stonewashed bevels, satin flats were nicely done and a unique treatment for this price range.
Also, the ergos are comfortable with no hotspots.
Overall, I'm very pleased with this knife. I think it holds its own against the real Emersons, and is a fair representations of his designs.
I hope this mini review will help anyone considering one of these knives.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I really like those, but I just can't justify adding them to my collection.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Jeremy_A_Neel wrote:Aw man, I first heard 2nd, then 3rd. Wonder what they're waiting for?
I know and you can bet whenever they do release them you will have to be right on it cause they will be gone in a second. I am going to stick it our for 0562, CF I hope.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Evil D wrote:Well of course the Emerson crowd turns their nose up, they have the elite real McCoy ;)
little bit of a shot there for the order of the black shamrock :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DRKBC wrote:little bit of a shot there for the order of the black shamrock :D
Eh, to me it's the perfect example of "to each his own" because I feel absolutely no appeal to that brand. The wave hook thing is cool in use, but I think it completely destroys the lines of the knife (even the Spyderco version) and I'd just assume use a ziptie. The rest of those knives, the ergos just don't do it for me, nor do the chisel grinds. I'm sure they're extremely tough knives, but they'd have to try real hard to make them any further from my taste. That doesn't mean they're bad in any way, I actually enjoyed playing with the Kershaw I got my buddy, and if they'd make one without the dang chisel grind, or at least ground it on the proper side for a right handed person (since it's a right handed lock) then I may consider trying harder to like them, but for the price I'd much sooner buy a comparably priced ZT.

(Or I'd spend $105 on a s110v Manix 2, but I might be a lil bit biased ;) )
~David
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Evil D wrote:Eh, to me it's the perfect example of "to each his own" because I feel absolutely no appeal to that brand. The wave hook thing is cool in use, but I think it completely destroys the lines of the knife (even the Spyderco version) and I'd just assume use a ziptie. The rest of those knives, the ergos just don't do it for me, nor do the chisel grinds. I'm sure they're extremely tough knives, but they'd have to try real hard to make them any further from my taste. That doesn't mean they're bad in any way, I actually enjoyed playing with the Kershaw I got my buddy, and if they'd make one without the dang chisel grind, or at least ground it on the proper side for a right handed person (since it's a right handed lock) then I may consider trying harder to like them, but for the price I'd much sooner buy a comparably priced ZT.

Hey David,
The CQC-6K and CQC-7K both have conventional V ground blades.
Some of the other models are chisel ground though.
Later,
Don
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
Here's a couple of pics.

Later,
Don
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

The Chinese Emersons are worth what they cost. Just looked at some today. Remember the chisel grind on the edge.

Kershaw makes exactly three knives worth owning: the Knockout, Rake and Piston and all three are great knives.

All the Zero Tolerance knives that you would consider tactical are entirely too blocky and heavy.

Extrema Ratio beats them all as far as tactical knives are concerned including Spyderco.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Evil D wrote:Eh, to me it's the perfect example of "to each his own" because I feel absolutely no appeal to that brand. The wave hook thing is cool in use, but I think it completely destroys the lines of the knife (even the Spyderco version) and I'd just assume use a ziptie. The rest of those knives, the ergos just don't do it for me, nor do the chisel grinds. I'm sure they're extremely tough knives, but they'd have to try real hard to make them any further from my taste. That doesn't mean they're bad in any way, I actually enjoyed playing with the Kershaw I got my buddy, and if they'd make one without the dang chisel grind, or at least ground it on the proper side for a right handed person (since it's a right handed lock) then I may consider trying harder to like them, but for the price I'd much sooner buy a comparably priced ZT.

You need to handle the CQC15 either the mini or the full size probably full size for you. It's V-grind and I think the ergos would change your mind about Emerson's. Of all the knives I own I have to say this one fits like a glove. The grind is also pretty impressive.

I don't use the wave. I have a cqc7 which isn't waved which I love for work, my 15 has it but truthfully I could go without it. It does make a decent thumb ramp and it may work as a bottle opener, if I ever find myself in some remote corner of the earth that doesn't have screw tops ... I will let you know.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RanCoWeAla wrote:The Chinese Emersons are worth what they cost. Just looked at some today. Remember the chisel grind on the edge.

Kershaw makes exactly three knives worth owning: the Knockout, Rake and Piston and all three are great knives.

All the Zero Tolerance knives that you would consider tactical are entirely too blocky and heavy.

Extrema Ratio beats them all as far as tactical knives are concerned including Spyderco.
*EDIT: Shiny footprints ;)

Lets just say the screw in pin that EA uses doesn't live up to what it claims it can do. It (the screw in pin) only prevents the blade from closing and doesn't take any stress off the lock which means if you use it hard you're gonna destroy the lock and pivot. I'd put my Wildsteer WX up against any folder anyone makes.

I wouldn't hesitate to do this with my WX. It may be a senseless use of a knife and wrong tool for the job and all that, but it killed that lock while many other locks would have handled that much better.

[video=youtube_share;QiBtHGfgZLI]http://youtu.be/QiBtHGfgZLI[/video]
~David
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Evil D wrote:*EDIT: Shiny footprints ;)

[video=youtube_share;QiBtHGfgZLI]http://youtu.be/QiBtHGfgZLI[/video]
What no pocket clip?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sharpguitarist wrote:Hey guys,
Here's a couple of pics.

Later,
Don

Very cool! Thank you for posting the pics. The overall shape and grind lines of the Emersons are amazing.