Chinese fakes don't stop with knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Chinese fakes don't stop with knives

Post by Evil D »

They copy cars too.

[video=youtube;exISm5-aefQ]https://youtu.be/exISm5-aefQ[/video]
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Let the buyer beware

Post by JD Spydo »

The Chinese were making counterfeits of the Jeep Cherokee all the way back to 1997. The reason I know that is because I had a friend at the time who was a salesperson at a Jeep dealership at that time and they were livid and somewhat worried.

I just went to a big flea market here in KC about 2 months ago>> there were 2 knife and martial arts dealers there and both of them were just overflowing with Spyderco, Buck, Kershaw and Benchmade counterfeits. They had a lot of small knives that looked like Spyderco stuff with the Byrd type of opening hole. They also had counterfeits of Oakley and other high end sunglasses. The sad part was that people were buying the crap like there was no tomorrow.

With the all the Rip-Mart refugees out there we are entering a time where quality regardless of what items you buy or comsume is no longer an important factor. It's all about price>> if it's cheap people will buy it not even caring if the product works or not. Most of the food items at these places is chuck full of MSG, aspartame and every other GOD forsaken poison known to man. Most all soft drinks and fast foods are so poison that it's no wonder that we have so high of rates of every disease and health problem imaginable.

The old cliche "LET THE BUYER BEWARE" is so apropos at this point in time. It's not only the 3rd World **** Holes that are selling counterfeits and low quality and dangerous items anymore. A lot of that flea market garbage is made right here in the USA as well.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

JD Spydo wrote: 3rd World **** Holes => right here in the USA
Agreed! We seem to be headed in that direction.

Ken
玉鋼
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:They copy cars too.
They copied everything including weapon systems.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Car companies have been loosely, and sometimes not so loosely, copying each others designs since before I was born. Heck, half the SUVs on the road today are so similar, at least from some angles, that you have to check nameplates or badges to be sure what you're looking at. Same with pickups and sedans. To me, the Chrysler 300 bears almost as striking a resemblance to the Rolls Royce Ghost as that Geely does to the Phantom. AFAIK all of these vehicles carry their own maker's logos and none are sold in the USA.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

A few months back I read an article on a copy of the F150 they made, and they even had a reply from the maker saying in so many words that yes they admit to copying the design but they were a developing country and had to take cut corners where they could. Apparently Ford has taken legal action and supposedly the Chinese government has sided with them on this one, but nobody knows if the maker will go on making the trucks or not.
~David
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

I find it hard to wrap my head around it, but apparently, it isn't a moral issue there. It isn't even stealing from how they see it. Though I suppose that's to be expected when they commonly lace their own dairy products with formaldehyde and melamine. Or put random heavy metals like cadmium and lead in just about all of their goods. And as far as counterfeits go, they even fake whole apple stores over there.
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

They also copy drugs and cosmetics with questionable and sometimes toxic ingredients.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Jeremy_A_Neel wrote:I find it hard to wrap my head around it, but apparently, it isn't a moral issue there. It isn't even stealing from how they see it. Though I suppose that's to be expected when they commonly lace their own dairy products with formaldehyde and melamine. Or put random heavy metals like cadmium and lead in just about all of their goods. And as far as counterfeits go, they even fake whole apple stores over there.
And not just in China. Intellectual property is a Western concept. The Japanese don't do it anywhere near as much as they use to, but that's not because they think it wrong, but because we pressured them to stop.

Pinetreebbs wrote:They also copy drugs and cosmetics with questionable and sometimes toxic ingredients.
And other potentially dangerous fakes like brake pads and household electrical components.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

It's not that they put toxic chemicals into things, it's that nobody makes them take the chemicals out. It is far easier to make a black paste with mercury amalgams than it is out of non-toxic organics. It is far harder to make any metallic material without trace toxic metals than with.

If you can just use "metal," that "metal" can be made with just about metallic elements you can melt together. Old batteries and car parts? Sure!
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

It is not just the Chinese,people in all place that have manufacturing capability, and we have counterfeiters right here in the USA knocking off thing like pro sports merchandise.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

The Deacon wrote:And not just in China. Intellectual property is a Western concept. The Japanese don't do it anywhere near as much as they use to, but that's not because they think it wrong, but because we pressured them to stop.

And other potentially dangerous fakes like brake pads and household electrical components.
Yes indeed, brake pads and electrical parts, and not a care about the danger their shoddy products pose. Even certified aircraft replacement parts are faked and supplied with fake documentation.

Over the last forty years the US market has been flooded by counterfeit fasteners and electrical circuit breaker components. It was not just China, there are domestic suppliers/manufactures and others in several Asian countries involved. They were even sold to constructors/operators of nuclear power plants and other critical applications.

While working in the nuclear power plant construction business we were notified of the problem by both the NRC and the Institute of Nuclear Power Operations (INPO). We replaced and destroyed thousands of suspect fasteners and breakers. We eventually resorted to retesting many common materials upon receipt just to maintain the integrity of the plant. Once we got all of the fasteners we purchased up to requirements we had to do the same for all vendor supplied equipment as well. All that inspection, material and rework cost a ton of money. The 'cost' (theft) was (unjustly) blamed on the nuclear industry. Think what you wish of the nuclear power industry, they replaced thousands of suspect items that were also sold to other industries, most of which is still installed.

On the positive side, it was very interesting to see portable x-ray spectrograph analysis, hardness testers and even an eddy current test that could discern the difference between 308 and 309 stainless steel developed and fielded.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

And do you all remember the bad pet food scam from China? They were selling pet foods that killed animals
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_pet_food_recalls
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Also, by the way, with advanced nanotechnology assembly there is no way you could have substandard or faked parts. Because every single atom and molecule is exactly where you want it, placed there by robotic assembler devices that physically stack molecules into materials under programmed control, it would be impossible for atomically precise parts to be faked. They would have DNA like error checking. There would still be a few atomic errors here and there but the problems related to bulk technology (micro cracks and such) would be gone. Only intentional errors would exist and detectors could be used to detect these things.

A diamond knife blade would be a diamond knife blade. Each blade would have the exact number of carbon atoms and no more or less. It would be mathematically precise manufacturing. It would not matter if the assembler was making it in China, America, Sweden, or Israel.

Some may say the issue would then depend on the quality of the program. Some anti virus programs are more quality than others because the programmers put more intensive error checking and such into it.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Also, by the way, with advanced nanotechnology assembly there is no way you could have substandard or faked parts. Because every single atom and molecule is exactly where you want it, placed there by robotic assembler devices that physically stack molecules into materials under programmed control, it would be impossible for atomically precise parts to be faked. They would have DNA like error checking. There would still be a few atomic errors here and there but the problems related to bulk technology (micro cracks and such) would be gone. Only intentional errors would exist and detectors could be used to detect these .
I don't know the exact costs involved, but that kind of manufacturing would probably be at least a million dollars for an ounce of material. Seeing as counterfeiters are interested solely in profit, that's not something I'd worry about.
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jeremy_A_Neel wrote:I don't know the exact costs involved, but that kind of manufacturing would probably be at least a million dollars for an ounce of material. Seeing as counterfeiters are interested solely in profit, that's not something I'd worry about.
It would only be feedable way off in the future when tech like that could be common enough to also be cheap. It's not unrealistic, 20 years ago flat screen TVs were $20k, it just takes time and that level of tech will take lots of time. It will also be a very controlled tech since you could potentially replicate anything including WMDs.
~David
ghostdancer

Post by ghostdancer »

Evil D wrote:They copy cars too.

[video=youtube;exISm5-aefQ]https://youtu.be/exISm5-aefQ[/video]
A couple of years back GM sold off Hummer to the Chinese. They now own the rights to Hummer. I agree the Chinese suck and don't give a **** about us, but in this case they're legit.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Yup...