Emp Effects Question

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
mikebandw186

Emp Effects Question

Post by mikebandw186 »

Having just read a book on a fictional EMP attack, I started thinking about how that might affect me.

Specifically, I was wondering what an EMP would do to the high powered LED flashlights that are so popular. Streamlight, Surefire, Fenix; all of these designs have a tiny electronic chip in them to regulate power. Would they all then be non functioning after an EMP attack?
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." Sal Glesser

Proudly carrying the SpyderEdge!

Chance is a fickle B$%^h and I have no faith in the judgmental abilities of criminals. -KaliGMan
Donut

Post by Donut »

Yes, likely. I think it depends on how big the EMP pulse is. If the EMP creates a 5 volt charge in your device and it can handle 6 volts, then you're good.

If you read about EMP's, they tell you how to build a faraday cage. Basically you get a metal box that is completely encased and has good conductivity to both sides. I don't remember if you have to create a connection on the closing side. Then you just toss everything in there that you don't want to blow up from an EMP.

I saw a TV show where they tested the affect of an EMP on a moving vehicle. They were only able to stall the vehicle. It was an older vehicle... and I know the newer vehicles have more computer stuff in them, so they are likely to die easier.

I need to read up more on Starfish Prime. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime

It's kind of amazing how much we lean on our technology. If a real EMP happened and 3/4 of our electrical infrastructure died, it would be pretty catastrophic.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Proximity vs. yield strength are the two factors. Direct answer is I don't know, but it will certainly ruin your day to be in the area. I've heard cell phones & solid state ignitions on cars would be toast, as well as the power grid. The grid goes down due to transmission lines acting like huge antennas and absorbing the pulse from a near-space detonation.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The last thing I would be concerned with during a massive EMP attack would be its effects on flashlights :) .

Would the batteries survive the attack (I don't know honestly)? If so, there are plenty of direct drive lights out there which are devoid of circuitry. That said, a conventional driver might not even be effected by such an attack due to its rudimentary design.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Batteries would be fine. Most things without a regulator chip will be fine. Most things with solid-state drives will be salvageable. Pretty much anything with a magnetic tape reader will be toast. All magnetic hard drives will be wiped.

I hope this helps.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Ah there ya go :) . Peak Eiger Ultra X and similar QTC direct drive lights.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Blerv wrote:Ah there ya go :) . Peak Eiger Ultra X and similar QTC direct drive lights.
Three Eigers and two Logans - Check
20 CR123s and 40 Lithium AAAs - Check
;)

One thing I DO know, my Spydercos with survive an EMP just fine, thank you very much ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

kbuzbee wrote:Three Eigers and two Logans - Check
20 CR123s and 40 Lithium AAAs - Check
;)

One thing I DO know, my Spydercos with survive an EMP just fine, thank you very much ;)

Ken
Not a dark moment over at Ken's house! :D
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Blerv wrote:Not a dark moment over at Ken's house! :D
That's the goal.

Ken
玉鋼