Going to Canada, what can i carry?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tonydahose

Going to Canada, what can i carry?

Post by tonydahose »

I am heading up to Montreal in July. My daughter dances Irish dance and she made the North American finals. (not bad for only dancing for 2 years...lol...i just love seeing the Italian last name in the winners circle ;) ) anyways what can i carry knife wise. I know i can't conceal carry any guns up there. We are driving up there. Any advice as far as that goes? I think that radar detectors are illegal but i havent had one of those since i was 16. Can you go 5-10 mph over the limit or stick to the posted speed? thanks
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Hi Tony,

I am on the west coast about as far away as Montreal as one can be in Canada. But as far as Canada in General goes. Switchblades and something they define as gravity openers are illegal here (I think that is just a way to give the law authority the right to confiscate something if they deem there is an issue). On our side of the country most knives aren't an issue, blade length is not an issue however there are certain restrictions like carrying knives into bars, courthouses etc. The information I am giving you is very general but I would say if I was you and I was crossing an international border with a knife I would bring something pretty basic and not overly expensive, probably a lockback would be best with a 3" blade or less. No Guns. When I travel I always carry something that I wouldn't be too upset if I lost or was seized (that said I would still be upset). LEO are the same as the US if treated with respect they will typically do the same (there is one every crowd that won't, but generally that's the case).

I usually travel 10 kilometers over the speed limit with no issues. A quick rule of thumb for converting Kilomters to MPH is multiply by .60 - 100km X .60 = 60MPH.

So that was the Canada in General guidelines, in Quebec as you know they speak French and it is quite different than the rest of Canada. I am sure someone from La Belle Province will jump in with some more Quebec specific advice. Hope that helps.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Knife wise you are good with anything that does not open automatically or with centrifical force (no switchblades or balisongs). I have carried everything from a Pingo to a Para2 around Montreal with no issue, YMMV. I also act responsibly and don't draw attention to myself. We do not have length restrictions but you should always be aware that the the knife in question should be within reason for the use. No machetes to open mail or cut your sandwiches.

No carry of firearms concealed or open but you seem to be aware of that. The Quebec interpretation of gun laws is also amongst the most strict.

Driving you should most likely stick to the speed limit. As an Ontario driver I have been pulled over a couple of times for minor issues (5-10k over posted) which doesn't happen in my home province. Also, no right hand turns on red lights, not permitted but you would get a break if you forgot most likely.

Montreal is a fantastic city, large italian population. Almost everyone speaks english so knowing french is not much of an issue.

Schwartz's deli is a staple for the (Montreal) smoked meat but Ruebens is good as well. Lots of good restaurants.

Enjoy the trip and good luck to your daughter.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Tony, I lived in Montreal for 22 years (before moving to New Hampshire 17 years ago today) and never had a problem with the knives I carried in my pocket.

My daughter (she did really well in Highland Dancing without a Scottish surname!) now lives in Toronto and, in my many border crossings, I have never been asked if I'm carrying a knife (guns are another matter, as you know). I'm almost certain the knife you are carrying, even a clipped Spydie, will only become an issue if you must pull it to defend yourself.

Montreal is, however, a pretty laid back place, language tensions notwithstanding, but, as in most large cities, read the streets and you won't come to harm...

DRKBC's driving guidelines are good ones. Canadians do tend to speed, especially on the fabled 401, without too many being pulled over. Not all patrol cars on the 401 are marked, you should know.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Holland

Post by Holland »

pretty much carry whatever you want as long as it's not a weapon... you can carry a sword on your back all day as long as its a tool to trim your hedges or a letter opener.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Holland wrote:pretty much carry whatever you want as long as it's not a weapon... you can carry a sword on your back all day as long as its a tool to trim your hedges or a letter opener.
I thought that was you

DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Pretty much what everyone has said here is good...one little addition though. No concealed carry of knives. Clipped to a pocket is excellent, buried in a pocket could cause problem IF you happened to be asked to empty your pockets.
On the hunt for...
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

As long as you don't get caught, anything you want. You could disassemble your knife and keep the different parts in different places in your car, then reassemble upon arrival. Of course there are ways of mailing it too.

After all, what is a country besides a group of men controlling another group of men while at the same time making them think that they are the ones in charge? The government doesn't own the land, do they? The government doesn't own you, do they? Carry whatever the **** you want to, please. Just be smart about it.

You know we're f*cked as a society when victimless crimes are everywhere, and if when deciding what course of action you should take, the legality of it is your first concern.

Take for example the "speeding" example you mentioned. If "speeding" was really such a heinous offense, wouldn't you be more worried about what the direct consequences of doing such an action would be instead of what some guy with a badge might do to you? But see, a speed limit is only a made up number, an arbitrary number (mainly used for revenue collection).
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Thanks for all the replies guys!
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

A tray of Tim Hortons coffee usually goes over well. :D
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Pretty much what everyone has said here is good...one little addition though. No concealed carry of knives. Clipped to a pocket is excellent, buried in a pocket could cause problem IF you happened to be asked to empty your pockets.
This is not correct. There is nothing that says a knife cannot be concealed. There are laws agains concealing weapons, but since your spyderco is not a weapon that law does not apply. You can carry your knife clipped in your pocked, buried in your pocket, in a bag, in a purse, wherever you like.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

ManixFan wrote:A tray of Tim Hortons coffee usually goes over well. :D
and this!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
angusW

Post by angusW »

Don't make a right hand turn at a red light. You will get a ticket in Montreal. They have photo radar around Montreal. Last time I was there, 2 summers ago, I was doing 119km/h (74m/h) in a 100km/h (62m/h) zone and got a ticket. Around Toronto that would never happen but Quebec is a different animal when it comes to driving infractions.

Learn to say "Bonjour" before speaking English and "Merci" when you're done speaking with someone. That will go a long way in your interactions with people there. In my experience, for the most part, people are very friendly and helpful in Montreal. Try not to speak to any woman when you are there as the French accent of a woman can be very alluring :)

Knife carry will not be an issue while you are there. Enjoy your stay.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies