Just purchased an Emerson mini CQC15

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DRKBC

Just purchased an Emerson mini CQC15

Post by DRKBC »

I just bought an Emerson Mini CQC15 with the new upgrades (upgrades in my eyes anyway). I have a cqc7 which I carry often. This one is very different but I like it ... a lot actually.

Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I have been eyeballing these for a while, just haven't had the balls to drop the green.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I had been too a couple of years actually. A deal came up for about $155 from an Authorized dealer and it was on the model I wanted namely stone wash, PE (which has been hard to come by). So I decided to take the plunge. It is one of the most comfortable knives I own, it really fits my hand well, you get a kind of a locked in feeling. I like the blade shape and I also really prefer the standoffs over the back spacer. So easy to service this knife, I took it apart, cleaned it lubed it and had it back together in about 5 minutes.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have an Emerson Horseman or mini CQC 8 which has my favorite Emerson blade design. Mine was purchased at the Blade Show last year from Ernest Emerson himself and he autographed the blade for me.
Have you seen the 9mm shell heads with primer removed that you can replace the opening disc with on Emerson knives
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I have never handled the CQC 8 but it seems to be a really popular model. That is cool how you purchased your knife, how was Ernest to talk to?

Yes I have seen the 9mm Shell heads, I like the look.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

That one was really tempting me. Congrats :) !
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I bought one just because I had to see that grind in the flesh. It's unique. ;)
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Blerv wrote:That one was really tempting me. Congrats :) !
Thanks! You know if you bought one you, might really like it. I know they aren't for everyone but I think it is one of the nicest knives I own to EDC. I find the handle to be really ergonomic in all grips, not too thick or too thin and the blade is really interesting. Despite what you sometimes hear F&F has been excellent on both of mine.

On the down side It could frighten the faint of heart, its pointy.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I am officially done with Emersons (no glaringly bad problems), but the only one that ever gave me seller's remorse was a Mini 15 SFS. With the serrations, recurve, and tanto it was like 3 blades in one. The prospect of sharpening it was what sent it down the road. I find the weight of an Endura much better and the cost the same. The only Emerson that still intrigues me is the 10 because...drumroll...the spyderhole. And the non-death ninja blade shape. Problem is my exquisite b&m I live less than 2 miles from (huge Spyderco dealer, Mark's Outdoors Vestavia, AL) had 2 of them and the lock up was WAY late on both. I was advised on USN to buy it and EKI would always make it right but Spyderco has spoiled me in that I expect a brand new knife to be very close to perfect. Now I have said nothing that breaks Sal's shiny footprint rule, but that is one brand I would only purchase if I could handle in person as there is a lot of variance within the same model.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

twinboysdad wrote:I am officially done with Emersons (no glaringly bad problems), but the only one that ever gave me seller's remorse was a Mini 15 SFS. With the serrations, recurve, and tanto it was like 3 blades in one. The prospect of sharpening it was what sent it down the road. I find the weight of an Endura much better and the cost the same. The only Emerson that still intrigues me is the 10 because...drumroll...the spyderhole. And the non-death ninja blade shape. Problem is my exquisite b&m I live less than 2 miles from (huge Spyderco dealer, Mark's Outdoors Vestavia, AL) had 2 of them and the lock up was WAY late on both. I was advised on USN to buy it and EKI would always make it right but Spyderco has spoiled me in that I expect a brand new knife to be very close to perfect. Now I have said nothing that breaks Sal's shiny footprint rule, but that is one brand I would only purchase if I could handle in person as there is a lot of variance within the same model.
I hear what you are saying. I guess I can only go by what I have experienced so far with F&F. I always ask the dealer to look at it before he ships it maybe that helps? but so far so good.

This was lock up out of the box, it was early but it has settled in nicely since this photo.

TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

Glad you're enjoying your emersons. I have 2 I like. --Always had a problem with emerson charging an arm and a leg for knives with 154cm steel though. And it'd be nice to have a variety like spyderco offers.
thehunt

Post by thehunt »

Have the 7, a Mini-Commander and a CQC15.
Like them all, but the EmersonOpener made by Spyderco ist far more reliable, in my experience.

I like the style, and the philosophy behind the knives.

But I would never abandon my Spydies :-)
Si vis pacem parabellum
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

TheRaven wrote:Glad you're enjoying your emersons. I have 2 I like. --Always had a problem with emerson charging an arm and a leg for knives with 154cm steel though. And it'd be nice to have a variety like spyderco offers.
I love Spyderco but I am also enjoying this knife. You know for $150 some odd dollars I paid, I thought the value was there. Not the deal of the century but not terribly overpriced either. It is well designed, easy to take down, has a very detailed grind, titanium liner lock and the handle is unbelievably comfortable. I don't mind 154cm it is easy to sharpen and holds edge reasonably well, at least that's been my experience. But I have to agree on some of the models, the push the envelope price wise once they start getting to the $2-300 price range I am not there either.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Congrats on the MiniCQC-15! I have tried an Emerson or 5. I have things I like and other aspects that I can't stand. The SOCFK is my favorite model (because I always like the older Specwar) especially among waved models. The CQC-10 and CQC-8 both were nice, but never really saw the pocket time so they moved on to better homes. I still want to get an Endeavor or Traveler for my collection, but that rounds out anything I am remotely interested in. I think the asymmetrical edge grind is the part I like the least about the whole line of knives. Hope you enjoy yours!

I will admit, the stonewash finish on the Emersons is among my favorite in the inductry.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

xceptnl wrote:Congrats on the MiniCQC-15! I have tried an Emerson or 5. I have things I like and other aspects that I can't stand. The SOCFK is my favorite model (because I always like the older Specwar) especially among waved models. The CQC-10 and CQC-8 both were nice, but never really saw the pocket time so they moved on to better homes. I still want to get an Endeavor or Traveler for my collection, but that rounds out anything I am remotely interested in. I think the asymmetrical edge grind is the part I like the least about the whole line of knives. Hope you enjoy yours!

I will admit, the stonewash finish on the Emersons is among my favorite in the inductry.
You are right the SOCFK is great model it kind of has it all, particularly if you don't like the re-curve. I also own a CQC7B with the same blade shape as the SOCFK Tanto that I use for work and I like it a lot. It has proven to be tough as nails, very easy to maintain and I don't worry about it as much as I would some of my other knives. I like the blade stock as you don't need to worry about it and I find the Tanto tip really handy for scraping or getting into small areas. The Ergos are surprisingly good for a knife that looks like it was designed with a ruler.

The Endeavor and Traveler are both great models, I like the blade shape, like the handle but I prefer the look of the thumb studs (on Emerson's). If I had unlimited funds and nothing to spend money on but knives I would likely buy a Mini Roadhouse. As this is not the boat I am sailing ... a Roadhouse will probably take a back seat to another knife purchase as for now the 2 knives that I own kind of fill the Emerson void for me.

And you are correct on the stonewash they kind of nailed that :)
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

DRKBC wrote:I have never handled the CQC 8 but it seems to be a really popular model. That is cool how you purchased your knife, how was Ernest to talk to?

Yes I have seen the 9mm Shell heads, I like the look.
Extremely nice guy and very down to earth.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

If you want a Traveler or Endeavor, you better get of your ***...both are discontinued
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

twinboysdad wrote:If you want a Traveler or Endeavor, you better get of your ***...both are discontinued
Don't I know it, but when will I have the funds with all the relentless Spydies (both new and discontinued) popping up.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*