Question to gun people: what is your opinion about 1911

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Just don't get a 10mm.... :D

TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

The 1911 is a classic and a sweet shooter . I think you'd be very happy with it for your needs especially a range gun .
I owned a officers model 45 years ago and loved it although it was a little picky with hollow points but loved hard ball target ammo . I prefer my Glocks , S&W Mp's , SpringFields Xd/XDs for EDC though , very light , accurate and most importantly dependable .
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Roman, I can understand your reasons for wanting a Colt and, given they're the only company that's been making 1911's since 1911, history is on your side. I would, however, suggest reconsidering 9mm, go with the .45 ACP, and minimize the cost difference by reloading.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Just don't get a 10mm.... :D

Yeah, not compared to this thing:

;)

Ken
玉鋼
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Strong-Dog wrote:Please, if you're gonna get a 1911 go .45 ACP
Chopping Broccoli wrote:Agreed. Its like Apple Pie and Vanilla Ice Cream. They just go together so well. Get a .45ACP 1911 and a Glock 19 and you will have a great pair of guns.
Stuart Ackerman wrote:A 9mm might expand....a 45 ACP is not known to have ever shrunk...
I love the idea of .45, but I cannot afford shooting it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:Roman, I can understand your reasons for wanting a Colt and, given they're the only company that's been making 1911's since 1911, history is on your side. I would, however, suggest reconsidering 9mm, go with the .45 ACP, and minimize the cost difference by reloading.
Paul,

I never thought about this and need to explore. Thank you for advise.
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

bh49 wrote:I love the idea of .45, but I cannot afford shooting it.
On average, loaded ammunition for .45 is about .10 more per round. I found 9mm for $00.26 each and the same vendor had .45 at $00.337 each if you buy 1,000. There are many variables, bullet weight, surplus vs new vs re-manufactured ammunition. Price are typically higher for re-loadable cases, brass with a Boxer primers vs those usually not reloaded, steel and aluminum cases and any cases with Beidan style primers.

Paul's reloading suggestion is good one. Do be aware, most hand loaders don't save all that much money but they are able to lot shoot more. Hand loading is a lot of fun and a great source of satisfaction. Like most things, your mileage may vary.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
UpDok

Post by UpDok »

The Colt 1911 is one of the most quintessential American objects you can own. It’s one of the few handguns that has been in non-stop production by the same company for more than 100 years.

Since you are in the “former Constitution state” you may want to check out the Connecticut State Library’s Colt firearms collection. The State Library is right across Capitol Avenue from the State Capitol building in Hartford. Be aware that the library has metal detectors at the door and they forbid visitors carrying guns and knives, even with a permit. They have (or used to have) the .45 ACP Colt 1911 serial #1 on display in a glass case with quite a few other important and interesting Colt firearms. I’m not sure but in light of the current Governor and Legislature’s profoundly anti-gun attitudes and political correctness they may have recently removed some of these firearms from public view at the Library

I have owned two different Colt 1911’s; one was one of the best guns I ever owned, while the other did not meet my expectations. If you are going to own the Colt as a collector or a range gun it’s a good choice, but if you intend to carry with a valid CT pistol permit you may want to look at a modern polymer frame compact auto such as the HK45C or S&W M&P 45C. The HKs and S&W M&Ps are recent modern designs and are generally good to go straight out of the box.
[LEFT]“Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.” Isaiah 45:22 KJV [/LEFT]
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

bh49 wrote:Paul,

I never thought about this and need to explore. Thank you for advise.
Roman
Reloading can be rewarding in a variety of ways (I have been reloading for just under 45 years), but it needs time and a lot of focus. Even putting modest value on my time, range ammo is a bargain, in my estimation. Storage of reloading components may or may not be a challenge, depending on local firearms laws and the fire code. I have long been at the point where the fire code has been a greater challenge than the gun laws. :)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have a lot of experience with 1911's in the army ( one Remington Rand that jammed every shot!) lots of junk, numerous new Colts including Gold cup's, series 70's, series 80's , Officers ACP ( loved it except when using it), combat commander, hand fitted parts guns, etc., etc., I didn't own a Kimber but a friend had one I was able to shoot a bunch.

Fixed sights, adjustable sights, laser sights ( like in predator :) ) Models specially done up by custom 45 smiths who essentially did only that for a living and were back logged up to a year in advance like the better knifemakers.

The bottom line? I have yet to find one as reliable as a Glock, much less a revolver. They don't have any sharp recoil but the pistol will torque up and twist slowing follow up shots compared to a 9mm glock, for instance .

I do like the bullet though do think the FMJ isn't the best for self defense. For that I'd choose a 185 grain +p. Better yet a 165 grain 40 cal or 125/145 grain .357, or 125 grain sig .357. Just my preferences and make no claims to what is superior in self defense. I only list my preferred carry loads and in those "stopping power" isn't a claim I make.

The S&W model 65 .357 isn't my first choice at anything but over my career I shot them so much ( as a yearly qualification plus instructor and arsenal officer for a while ) that I could literally do trick shooting with the model.

And, a pistol is just there to help you fight yourself back to your rifle or shotgun.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Just don't get a 10mm.... :D

But if you do, Lunde did a classic post with pix of a very nice 10mm.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... -Glock-20L
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I've owned several 1911s the last of which was a Kimber The 1911 is a wonderful work of art in steel and wood or whatever handle material you choose. However at present I own three Glocks the 17, 19 and 26. I went through the 1911 phase and enjoyed it while it lasted but in my opinion the 1911 has too much recoil for my arthritis the ammo is too expensive its too much trouble to take apart and put back together because of the swinging link and its way too dangerous with cocked hammer on a light single action trigger pull.
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

Yes the simplicity of Glocks and similiar is very nice . Also as you mentioned the recoil is much lighter due to the polymer frame absorbing much of the recoil . I love my Glocks and S&W mp's !
The 1911 is a true classic though and would love to have another in my collection . But if I had to choose my Glocks and Smiths would win .
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I've owned several 1911s the last of which was a Kimber The 1911 is a wonderful work of art in steel and wood or whatever handle material you choose. However at present I own three Glocks the 17, 19 and 26. I went through the 1911 phase and enjoyed it while it lasted but in my opinion the 1911 has too much recoil for my arthritis the ammo is too expensive its too much trouble to take apart and put back together because of the swinging link and its way too dangerous with cocked hammer on a light single action trigger pull.
Have to assume you're talking about the current crop of 1911's which seem to be designed for target accuracy, rather than reliability. I say that because, "back in the day", I could take a regular 1911 apart and put it back together blindfolded. A Gold Cup would have been a bit more challenging, and would have required a bushing wrench, but would still have been possible. Same deal with carry. The 1911 was designed to be carried cocked and locked. The trigger was narrow enough so that snagging it on something while holstering it would be next to impossible, even if one was foolish enough to do so with the safety disengaged. Trigger pulls tended to be heavy, unless they'd been "tuned" by an idiot. Anyone with any sense kept theirs somewhere north of 5 pounds unless the gun was going to be used strictly as a hardball match gun. Side safety thumb piece wasn't the huge, easily disengaged, paddle you see on some of the current ones and the chances of accidentally disengaging both it and the grip safety were virtually non-existent.

Besides, the OP is not looking for a carry gun, he's looking for something to shoot occasionally at the range.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Deacon wrote:Have to assume you're talking about the current crop of 1911's which seem to be designed for target accuracy, rather than reliability. I say that because, "back in the day", I could take a regular 1911 apart and put it back together blindfolded. A Gold Cup would have been a bit more challenging, and would have required a bushing wrench, but would still have been possible.
You are correct Paul. The more modern 1911s have tighter tolerances that act as a double edged sword. The both increase accuracy, yet hinder reliability. I have handled and fired many older military issue "GI" 1911s and these things rattle and have daylight gaps between parts, but they fired every time you pulled the trigger (unless the magazine was empty).
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kbuzbee wrote:It's a great design, Roman. Well regarded. I don't personally one one. I'm more of a wheel gun kinda guy. But 1911 is time tested. Good luck with it.

Ken

Understatement of the year. It's one of those things you just can't argue with. Glocks are awesome, I love me a some HK's and SIGs but if you just follow the recipe you really can't go wrong with a 1911. There's a 1911 for just about every possible pistol use/scenario/etc full size to the little pocket mini versions. I agree with wrdwrght in that I would prefer a P220 or Glock especially for CCW.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:Understatement of the year. It's one of those things you just can't argue with. Glocks are awesome, I love me a some HK's and SIGs but if you just follow the recipe you really can't go wrong with a 1911. There's a 1911 for just about every possible pistol use/scenario/etc full size to the little pocket mini versions. I agree with wrdwrght in that I would prefer a P220 or Glock especially for CCW.
Nothing's better for me than a well tuned 1911, whether it's a pricey model or a low end one. I shot a few tens of thousands of rounds from a customized Norc. I was making the guys with STI's a bit nervous too. Well, in our club, I mean. :D
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

The only thing I don't like about my Glocks is the subcompacts and compacts are knuckle busters . The trigger guards are to fat and with the finger grooves in the grip it's way to tight. . On my G30s I did a trigger guard under cut and it made a huge difference. Now my S&W M&P have a nice thin trigger guard and no mods needed . Feel Great in the hand right out of box ! Oh and there very accurate more then me lol .
First time out with my S&W 12 yards 50 rounds last mag point shooting at speed first 33 sight shots . She's a sweet shooter and earned the right to be my EDC and earned the right to ride with my spydies: )
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

It'd be nice to see a video of you doing that great run.
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:It'd be nice to see a video of you doing that great run.
Thanks, I'd probably enjoy it to :)
Although qualification for my permits would be more entertaining to see on video it involves shooting behind barricades , draw shooting, shooting from the prone position and timed exercises. I think my least favorite is doing push-ups then jogging in place for 3 minutes , sprinting the last minute and then drawing and shooting lol .