Test your tuf-cloth

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Test your tuf-cloth

Post by jackknifeh »

I just got the SB Stretch a couple weeks ago. I immediately wiped the blade with my tuf-cloth. After using it once as my dinner knife the SB had a patina. I was surprised. I emailed sentry solutions about it the reply said based on my description they thought my tuf-cloth had died. They can only be re-charged (or whatever) with mineral spirits so many times I guess. So, now I'm using a new cloth and am very curious how that will work. This was the first time I had any corrosion of any kind after using tuf-glide or tuf-cloth. I'll find out in about an hour when I eat dinner. Anyway, they included a "test" to see if your tuf-cloth needs replacing or not.

Here is the test.
Based on your description it does sound like your TUF-CLOTH needs to be retired. There is a way to test a TUF-CLOTH; you can do this on the whole TUF-CLOTH but cutting off a little piece will work too, that way you won't compromise the current state of the entire TUF-CLOTH. So the test is basically- with the "moist/wet" TUF-CLOTH wipe a small section of clean, clear glass. After cutting a small section or corner of TUF-CLOTH, allow this cut piece to dry completely. Once it is dry use the small, dry section to wipe a small section of the clean, clear glass next to the section you wiped with the "moist" TUF-CLOTH. Compare the films left on the glass visually; the moist section should look "heavier" than the dry wiped section. If you can wipe off the "moist wiped" section film and the "dry wiped" section easily, that means the active ingredients which were trapped on the fibers of the cloth have been exhausted.

We hope this helps.

Jack
PS (for those wondering)
Lots of comments have been made about tuf-cloth's being used on knife blades and then using for food prep. According to Sentry Solutions it boils down to this or this is how I look at it. While tuf-glide has not been approved by the FDA I believe the consensus is that after it dries on a blade and then wiped off or even washed nobody who uses the knife to cut their food will drop dead. So, if I want to use my EDC knife for cutting food, which isn't very often, I go ahead and do it.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Thanks Jack,

I always thought you could just reload a TuffCloth with TuffGlide, no?

Ken
玉鋼
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

kbuzbee wrote:Thanks Jack,

Ken
I emailed them that question about 20 minutes ago. Will report answer tomorrow probably. I didn't really believe the mineral spirits story so I normally did just mist the cloth with tuf-glide but I was running out so I used mineral spirits. I bought that when I first started using tuf-glide but didn't use it. Now I have a new 4 oz. bottle with a mist pump top. I'll post their answer.

Jack
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

kbuzbee wrote:Thanks Jack,

Ken
Definitely! I thought it was in their FAQs. If not, I may have heard it from the guy who owns the place.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Therefore, Tuf-Cloth can go anywhere you go for instant cleaning of your knife blade. And should the cloth dry out, it is "rechargeable" by adding mineral spirits or Tuf-Glide (more on this later).
That's from their website - there are probably more references on their website. :spyder: I would use the Tuf-Glide, though.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

you can wash the cloth let it dry and then apply tuff glide, I did that to mine and worked.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Clip

Post by Clip »

I usually just apply Tuf-Glide straight from the bottle with a rag or paper towel, but insure this uses a little extra product with each application.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

When I got my M4 Manix I went crazy and bought one of everything they sell including the cloth. Still haven't used it one time. I use the spray bottle and wipe off the excess and the needle dropper for pivots.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Got this email from Mark at Sentry Solutions just now.

Hey Jack,

It is always better to re-fresh and restore with TUF-GLIDE instead of mineral spirits. Mineral spirits is only the carrier for the active ingredients.

Sincerely,
Mark Mrozek [mail to: mark@sentrysolutions.com ]
Sentry Solutions

Jack
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

...which does make you wonder why it's suggested on the website... :rolleyes: :)
GCG199

Post by GCG199 »

They probably just haven't gotten around to updating their website or FAQ.

Unfortunately, a lot of companies get caught-up in the day-to-day-grind and tend to overlook things like this.
My favorite Spyderco knives include: Caly 3.5, Chaparral, Delica 4 FFG, Stretch, Para-Military 2, Endura 4 FFG, Manix 2 & Manix 2 XL!

TANSTAAFL
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The active ingrediants are "attached" somehow to the cloth fibers. The mineral spirits is the liquid carrier that allows it to be wiped on things. When the mineral spirits dries the active ingredients (whatever that is) bonds with the metal in a way that it can't be wiped off. This makes for a very long lasting protectant. Unless the steel is super blue I guess. :) But, by adding mineral spirits to a dry cloth (that still has active ingredients in the cloth) you can then use the cloth again. But, it sounds like instead of misting the cloth with mineral spirits adding only the liquid "carrier" misting the cloth with tuf-glide you are also replenishing the cloth with the active ingredients that actually protect metal.

That's how I think it works. Mineral spirits is a quick fix on a temporary basis. I think. Best to ask Mark at Sentry Solutions though.

Jack
paladin

Post by paladin »

I always considered mineral spirits as a solvent...

I use ms to remove lubes, paint & adhesives from my blades...

I learned something new this morning, thanks Jack!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate