One example of why the USPS is so deep in debt.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Spydersense

One example of why the USPS is so deep in debt.

Post by Spydersense »

Note: I live in Oregon. :rolleyes:

Date & Time

Status of Item

April 26, 2014

Depart USPS Sort Facility

HONOLULU, HI 96820

April 25, 2014 , 11:50 pm

Processed through USPS Sort Facility

HONOLULU, HI 96820

April 24, 2014

Depart USPS Sort Facility

SAINT PAUL, MN 55121

April 23, 2014 , 9:02 pm

Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility

SAINT PAUL, MN 55121

April 23, 2014 , 10:03 am

Acceptance

SAINT CLOUD, MN 56301
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Loansharkx

Post by Loansharkx »

It was just time for a post office employee vacation and they needed a reason to expense a Hawaii trip to the taxpayers.

I hope it's at least a pricey knife for them to route to exotic locations by hand.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I'm hoping my knife arrives with a case of fresh pineapple. :)

-Matt
Loansharkx

Post by Loansharkx »

Spydersense wrote:I'm hoping my knife arrives with a case of fresh pineapple. :)
Can you carve the spyderco logo into a pineapple? Inquiring minds want to know!
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Indeed.

Whatever it's doing there, I hope it doesn't want to go snorkeling. It's not H1! :eek:

-Matt
Blue Possum

Post by Blue Possum »

I read: "The USPS ended fiscal year 2013 with a net loss of $5 billion, the seventh consecutive year it incurred a net loss."

"The average USPS employee makes slightly less than $25 an hour" plus benefits and their retirement plan.

I think we need to just go back to the pony express days. Most of things that show up in the mail box is not worth delivering anyways.
Blue Possum
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Far as I'm concerned, while USPS is by no means perfect, they're head and shoulders above both UPS and Fed-X. My guess is that someone transposed two digits of the zip code. Could have been the sender, or the postal clerk if the sender bought the postage at the PO. That's all it takes for a package to end up in the wrong place. Had it happen to me twice. First time, the package took some strange twists and turns but, after that, I made a habit of checking the zip on my receipt before I leave the window, so the second one got fixed.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I think they need to be put on a seven day swing shift like so many other people are now. I have nothing for the postal service. Just saw this week in the news where one postal worker was throwing packages on the ground from inside the truck at someone's house. Then another Cass where a postal worker had 15,000 pieces of mail in a storage building because he was quiting early to pick his Son up at school. They should send him to prison and throw away the key.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

The Deacon wrote:Far as I'm concerned, while USPS is by no means perfect, they're head and shoulders above both UPS and Fed-X.
+100. Also, delivery has nothing to do with it. The USPS debt is purely political. Check it out.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

eh screw usps. they lost 2 of my packages this year. A zt0777 and a Curtiss nano, but atleast refound the nano.

Look at this tracking

February 13, 2014 , 5:24 am Processed Through Sort Facility ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
February 13, 2014 , 3:17 am Processed through USPS Sort Facility CHICAGO, IL 60666
February 13, 2014 , 3:17 am Arrived at Sort Facility ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
February 10, 2014 , 9:35 pm Processed through USPS Sort Facility INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46241
February 8, 2014 Electronic Shipping Info Received
February 7, 2014 Depart USPS Sort Facility INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46241
February 7, 2014 , 10:53 pm Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46241
February 7, 2014 , 5:10 pm Dispatched to Sort Facility GRANGER, IN 46530
February 7, 2014 , 2:21 pm Acceptance GRANGER, IN 46530

The package then went to archive.

On a whim I checked it on april 15th and saw the number was being used again.... it had no acceptance scan so I assumed they found it, yesterday it tracked in NZ... took a few days to update. it didnt show up on the website till the 26th

April 24, 2014 , 10:09 am Processed Through Sort Facility NEW ZEALAND
April 15, 2014 , 3:32 pm Processed Through Sort Facility ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
April 15, 2014 , 1:50 pm Arrived at Sort Facility ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
April 15, 2014 , 1:50 pm Processed through USPS Sort Facility JAMAICA, NY 11430
April 15, 2014 , 3:20 am Processed through USPS Sort Facility JERSEY CITY, NJ 07097

How it managed to get to New Jersey I dont know...lol
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I use USPS 99/100 over UPS or Fed-ex or DHL. Priority mail with insurance has not let me down either nationally or internationally.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

The USPS uses FedEx for air mail, and FedEx uses the USPS for endpoint delivery in places that FedEx does not drive to. Just FYI.

Agreed the insolvency is mostly political BS. The USPS is not going anywhere, and as long as you get tracking, they are as or sometimes more reliable than just about any delivery services that do not involve an end-to-end courier (obviously incredibly expensive unless local).
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I have usually had good results with USPS. I realize that mistakes can be made with every carrier. I just thought this particular instance was funny because the package left the continent and now has to return to reach me. I don't know much about how the sorting system works, but I'm envisioning that an automatic gate of some kind just misfired and sent it down the wrong path somewhere along the line.

-Matt
NorthernPanda

Post by NorthernPanda »

If i'm importing something from the US into Canada I would rather use USPS due to price and the fact that they haven't failed me yet. Up here we call UPS useless postal service (I understand they rock inside the US).
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. ― Mark Twain

EDC: 2013 Forum Native:spyder: .or. Resilience and SC52w flashlight - Lovin' it.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

None of the package delivery services are perfect, but I've had better luck with USPS than UPS or FEDEX. Plus, they still deliver on Saturdays (at least in my neighborhood). I do occasionally receive my neighbor's mail, but so far haven't had any packages not show up (and I don't want my neighbor's bills anyway! :) ) I've had UPS claim my address didn't exist (though I've lived at the same address for 25 years and UPS managed to find it before!)

I guess I'm fortunate that my neighborhood doesn't seem to have a lot of crime, I haven't had any boxes stolen off my porch. Though for expensive computer or camera equipment, I've started having it delivered to me at work, and there UPS and FEDEX both seem more reliable.

It does seem humorous that your package took the scenic route through Hawaii. I wonder if the package itself actually went there, or if their tracking system just got confused. That's the part I think USPS needs to work on, is the tracking.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)