A Better SAK

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I emailed, thanks for letting me know.

His review was pretty positive.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
RodneyBus

Austin SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION Company Internet Advertising Firm

Post by RodneyBus »

Select a WEBSITE POSITIONING agency that can provide you with the very best rates and assured rankings, we provide many different SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION & Web advertising and marketing providers. The same applies to our SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION marketing packages, if you happen to don’t consider us then check out our threat Free http://psychologwawa.com.pl services and see the results and proof for yourself. Our service offerings have been wonderful tuned throughout our companies life span which is eight+ years for the time being and going robust. If we will rank for a few of the Internets best key phrases then we might be one of many companies reliable sufficient to rent to your WEBSITE POSITIONING & Iternet advertising needs.

GlobalWebFX.com affords inexpensive WEBSITE POSITIONING in Ventura County and affords sensible Internet Advertising solutions for anybody that wishes to optimize their own website for elevated visitors by natural searches made on standard search engines like google and yahoo. Our Search Engine Visibility Tools will provide help to with the whole means of www.jawory.pl Search Engine Optimization. From onsite and on page optimization, to keyword analysis, and keyword densisty analysis, this program walks you thru the complete SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION course of. In truth our Search Engine Visibility Instruments emulate our full service SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION service and have been tested by me personally for quality and consistency!

The great search engine marketing company should also have its personal online presence. Which means that you could additionally feel that they're on high of the rankings and successful in time period of seo. It could be ironic to hire the services of this web optimization optimization company that their company itself cannot be pozycjonowanie-stron.media.pl found in any search engine rating or shouldn't be successful in terms of search engine marketing Similar to other professionals who can not service their own like a dentist who doesn't have good tooth, a dermatologist with not so good pores and skin.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I emailed them, they shipped it Monday.

After emailing, the shipping email looks just like what you described.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I got mine today, but haven't had any time to to anything but glance at it. It feels pretty light, the philips screw driver is not as pictured on the website and has a 45 degree stop, the flat head screw driver does not have a 90 degree stop.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Interesting. When you have a moment I'm sure we would love to hear the rest of your thoughts :) . I'm curious if the geometry is similar to SAK but with ZDP-189. Should slice a very long time if that's the case.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Donut wrote:I got mine today, but haven't had any time to to anything but glance at it. It feels pretty light, the philips screw driver is not as pictured on the website and has a 45 degree stop, the flat head screw driver does not have a 90 degree stop.
Thx bro for the info! Mine is still in shipping, Belgian customs is really slow and expensive. I hope I don't have to pay to much extra duties.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Donut

Post by Donut »

Blerv wrote:Interesting. When you have a moment I'm sure we would love to hear the rest of your thoughts :) . I'm curious if the geometry is similar to SAK but with ZDP-189. Should slice a very long time if that's the case.
I have time during lunch today and I have my camera with the good macro mode with me. I can get you some good side-by-side pictures. The blade might be a fraction of a millimeter thinner than the Victorinox and the blade is a little bit more of a wharnie, which is good IMO.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Pics! (My image

1 - The Fieldman has different springs than my Vic and the springs don't sit flush with the spine.

6 - It doesn't lie flat on it's spine because of this nail nick sticking out.

8 - The Vic has a distal taper the length of the blade, the Fieldman doesn't.

9 - Blades are cut from similar stock.

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Donut

Post by Donut »

13 - More of a Wharnie

14 - Fieldman blade is slightly shorter, maybe 1/8".

15 - Manufacturer told me that only the large blade is ZDP, all others are 440a

16 - Smaller blade, 440a.

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing these and your comments!

I don't know... I still find myself leaning towards the Victorinox in spite of the Fieldman having the ZPD main blade. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I'm more intrigued by a Victorinox SAK by the tools it carries and only use the knife blades for minor cutting chores. Otherwise, I have other blades available that I can put to use for cutting chores.

Looking at your pictures, I tend to feel the Victorinox has more robustness in its tool designs. Yes, the Fieldman has thicker spacers than the Victorinox, and yes, both knives appear to be of the same thickness, but it looks to me you're getting more for your money with the Victorinox. Of course, looking at the photographs versus actually using the knives in comparison to one another are two totally different things.

When you get a chance to use both in daily use and have time to comment on your experiences with these two knives, I'd like to read them.

Again, thank you for posting these photographs and providing comments!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I like it. Looks like FF on the Victorinox is a bit better than the fieldman but I do like the fieldman blade shape better.
Donut

Post by Donut »

You're very welcome. I think the knife deserves to be shown.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I wanted to show you guys a picture of another slipjoint I have. It doesn't have any screw drivers, just 3 blades, but the main blade is 1/8" thick and I believe all 3 blades are D2.

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks for the great pics, Donut! Let us know how it works for you, cutting and sharpening.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If Victorinox made this knife, with a blade that has a thumb hole for one handed opening, I would buy it. I'd probably buy it even without the thumb hole.

It doesn't hurt that the modder put all the tools I normally use in there. If anything swap the awl for a phillips screwdriver and I'd be set.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I like that one, is it a custom?
I was looking at the Emerson edc-2, nice design and I like the locks but a bit too much for 440c.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah totally custom, the Ti scale and G10 scale plus added scissors. Not sure who made it.
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

That's kind of neat. Did it get upgrades steel on the blade?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I've been trying to find uses for this knife. Cutting tops off single layer cardboard containers, cutting celery. I think I took a couple weeks of vacation, but I will find more uses for it.

The factory edge was sliding on my celery, so I went to my DMT stones to get a toothier edge on it. Since I put that edge on it, it's been going very well. I had no trouble getting it sharp with diamond, which is to be expected. We'll see how it goes.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:That's kind of neat. Did it get upgrades steel on the blade?
I have no idea, I snagged the pics off EDC forum. It isn't very hard to make a blade for these knives though especially if you leave it a slip joint. There are several how-tos for grinding down house keys and slipping them into SAK's. Any person capable of doing a blade regrind could probably go the next step and make an entire blade from scratch, if they can just get the blade stock to begin with. In fact it probably wouldn't be very hard to grind down a Spyderco blade and make it fit, as long as you could get it to close and cover the edge well enough.
~David