Traveling to Bulgaria

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ASmitty

Traveling to Bulgaria

Post by ASmitty »

Hello All,

This Sunday, I am leaving for Sofia, Bulgaria. I work for a bank as a software developer working in Microsoft .NET technologies. About 1-1.5 years ago, my bank purchased a European prepaid card company whose IT department is located there. Their developers work primarily in PHP and I'm heading overseas to help cross-train their team to work in .NET so that they can share some of our project workload. I'll be there for two weeks and obviously won't be working 24/7. I'm looking for suggestions of things I can do and sights I can see if my off time. I'm hoping some of my fellow forumites can help me out, particularly some of my European Spydie-brothers.

Any suggestions?
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Can't give you any sight seeing suggestions but have a friend who's family have a vacation home there.
Looks beautiful , cheap for living (although that's coming from someone used to paying uk prices and is now paying us prices) the latter being much cheaper than the former :) .
I tend not to set too much of an itinerary when travelling the best way of finding the hidden gems is to ask the locals not consult the tourist guides .
Given as you'll be training some you'll have the best people to ask right there ATB enjoy .
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

I wouldn´t miss out Alexander Newski cathedral-an impressive sight and if lucky some orthodox choir will sing giving the special light also a special acoustic.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Bulgaria eh? I know little about Bulgaria other than they make good copies of surplus firearms, like Makarovs and so on.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Commendatore wrote:I wouldn´t miss out Alexander Newski cathedral-an impressive sight and if lucky some orthodox choir will sing giving the special light also a special acoustic.
Thanks, I'll try to get it in. The guys in the office here have quite a few plans for us this coming weekend. Landed in Bulgaria today at 12:40pm local time. Flew threw the Vienna airport on the way.

araneae

Post by araneae »

My buddy is from there. He would say eat at a small pub. And he would say have some Fanta- seriously the stuff is really good there as they use actual juice. He goes home every couple years and gains 5 pounds in fanta weight. I don't know anything specific but I could ask him if you need something else to see.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Stunning countryside and Sofia is one of the more architecturally interesting areas in that part of Europe IIRC.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

defenestrate wrote:Stunning countryside and Sofia is one of the more architecturally interesting areas in that part of Europe IIRC.
Today we walked around Sofia including a stop at the Alexander Nevsky cathedral and a few other things nearby. After lunch we went to the National Museum of Military History. Their military history is quite fascinating.

ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

swigert wrote:Are you taking pics to share sometime...being from the states I would love to see!
I will post pics when I get home. I'm not much of a photographer, so I didn't bring a camera, but I took many photos with my iPhone 5s.