My longest running EDC item of all time

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

My longest running EDC item of all time

Post by Evil D »

March 3rd marked the 14th birthday to the longest running daily carried item that I've ever owned. I was given this little tap knife March 3, 2000, the first day on the job and I've carried it everyday since then. It does all the dirty work that I wouldn't use my pocket knife for, and is the "people friendly" knife that is often used when I'm not at liberty to pull out the folder. I can't really explain why or how I've managed to hang on to this little thing for so many years, but it has become so sentimental to me that if I ever lose it I'm going to be devastated. I believe this little thing is an example of my personal work ethic and attention to detail and speaks a lot about me as a person. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

That's pretty cool, D. It's those little sentimental things that make all the difference. Might be a good thing to pass on to your son/daughter some day for them to pass on to their kids. "This once belonged to your grandfather..." :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

David, I had probably two dozen of these from age 15 until age 22. I lost them constantly. Kudos to you for being able to hang onto yours. I have a retractable razor blade paint scraper that was my grandfathers and has been thru 3 generations of my family. No idea how such a cheap tool can last so long.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

I have a grizzly chew utility blade like that I got 10 years ago from one of their reps at the gas station I worked at. I used that thing constantly over the years, and it did real well in my years on a submarine. A simple and hard working tool!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Very cool! love stories like this
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

MadMaximus wrote:I have a grizzly chew utility blade like that I got 10 years ago from one of their reps at the gas station I worked at. I used that thing constantly over the years, and it did real well in my years on a submarine. A simple and hard working tool!
Which boat, or boats, were you on? I was also a submariner.
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

eric m. wrote:Which boat, or boats, were you on? I was also a submariner.
Rhode Island Blue Crew. I know what the fast boat guys called us, I think that might be against the rules of the forum though...:roll eyes: How about you? What Div were you?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Fourteen years is a very good start. Twenty-five more and you'll be getting close to my 8OT.

Another old bubblehead here. U.S.S. George Washington, SSBN 598, 1978-1982, Blue crew.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

yablanowitz wrote:Fourteen years is a very good start. Twenty-five more and you'll be getting close to my 8OT.

Another old bubblehead here. U.S.S. George Washington, SSBN 598, 1978-1982, Blue crew.
A nice classic there, looking good! One of those bad boys was my very first EDC way back in the '90s (way before I knew what EDC was) inherited when my gramps passed in '92. Good to see the Bubbleheads representing here!
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

MadMaximus wrote:Rhode Island Blue Crew. I know what the fast boat guys called us, I think that might be against the rules of the forum though...:roll eyes: How about you? What Div were you?
I was stationed in San Diego aboard the U.S.S. Guitarro(SSN-665) for almost 4 years. I was on the DECOM crew in Mare Island and then got out! That was 23 years ago though! I was a NAV ET, but you would never know it with my computer skills, or lack thereof! LOL! Yeah I would have loved to have been a Half-timer like the both of you! Took a tour on the Arizona while I was out there! You guys cruised in style! :D
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

My longest running edc item is actually a Maglite Solitaire given to me by a friend when I was in the Persian Gulf in 1990. His Dad had gotten some of them with coupons from Camel cigarette packs and it used to have Camel on it and was Black but is Silver now. It's been on my key ring ever since and would probably still work if it had a new bulb and battery only I use it now to carry my pills in and it works great for that.
Revival

Post by Revival »

Holland wrote:Very cool! love stories like this
Same here. Its the little things sometimes that mean alot.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

yablanowitz wrote:Fourteen years is a very good start. Twenty-five more and you'll be getting close to my 8OT.

I have one of those too but it isn't quite as old, about 20 or so but I haven't carried it that many years.
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

eric m. wrote:I was stationed in San Diego aboard the U.S.S. Guitarro(SSN-665) for almost 4 years. I was on the DECOM crew in Mare Island and then got out! That was 23 years ago though! I was a NAV ET, but you would never know it with my computer skills, or lack thereof! LOL! Yeah I would have loved to have been a Half-timer like the both of you! Took a tour on the Arizona while I was out there! You guys cruised in style! :D
I guess you never saw a 598 class boomer. The specs you see on them are misleading, since they always list the beam at the added on missile compartment. She was originally Thresher class. In fact, in engine room lower level, outboard of the starboard main condenser, her original hull number was written in weld bead on one of the frames. SSN 589.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

yablanowitz wrote:I guess you never saw a 598 class boomer. The specs you see on them are misleading, since they always list the beam at the added on missile compartment. She was originally Thresher class. In fact, in engine room lower level, outboard of the starboard main condenser, her original hull number was written in weld bead on one of the frames. SSN 589.
No, I never saw one of those! A little before my time! A classmate of mine was on the Permit though. If I remember it was SSN-594! Nothing like the Ohio class huh? My longest running EDC is a Victorinox(black) Swiss Army knife from my Sub days also! Everyone carried something back in the day! Wonder if that has changed? :)
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

eric m. wrote:No, I never saw one of those! A little before my time! A classmate of mine was on the Permit though. If I remember it was SSN-594! Nothing like the Ohio class huh? My longest running EDC is a Victorinox(black) Swiss Army knife from my Sub days also! Everyone carried something back in the day! Wonder if that has changed? :)
I was on the boat from July 2008 to April 2013 and most people carried something. Typically a leatherman these days and/or a benchmade (government program, affordable and a great warranty or lucky enough to get one through an open purchase or NSN order). The gear has evolved but everyone's still carrying, especially us engineering guys.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Evil D wrote:March 3rd marked the 14th birthday to the longest running daily carried item that I've ever owned. I was given this little tap knife March 3, 2000, the first day on the job and I've carried it everyday since then. It does all the dirty work that I wouldn't use my pocket knife for, and is the "people friendly" knife that is often used when I'm not at liberty to pull out the folder. I can't really explain why or how I've managed to hang on to this little thing for so many years, but it has become so sentimental to me that if I ever lose it I'm going to be devastated. I believe this little thing is an example of my personal work ethic and attention to detail and speaks a lot about me as a person. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Awesome and you don't have to worry about sharpening. Just do a blade swap and you're ready to rock-and-roll.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
Donut

Post by Donut »

Does anyone know of a modern day version of this?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Donut wrote:Does anyone know of a modern day version of this?

You referring to the box-cutter? Lowe's sells them.

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:Does anyone know of a modern day version of this?
It's not easy to find one that's 1) aluminum and 2) that has an inside slip/blade holder like this one has....because this one holds a spare blade inside the handle. It's the only one like it I've ever seen, could be why I've carried it so long lol.
~David