Mega Damage Capacity Materials?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Mega Damage Capacity Materials?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

This is kindof funny..when I was a kid I was into this one role playing game system that used a scale called "Structural Damage Capacity" vs "Mega Damage Capacity" to determine the strengths and resistances of "normal materials" vs super materials.

The SDC realm included all known normal materials such as glass, steel (all normal steels and alloys of steel), wood, flesh, plastics, paper, etc.

Mega Damage Capacity referred to exotic futuristic alloys and composites and compounds, such as diamond composite, strange "alien alloys" and things of that sort.

From what I recall, it took 100 SDC points to equal 1 MDC point.

Now, just out of curiousity, could this be realistic in the real world, or not?

Here is a link on this: http://vulpinoid.blogspot.com/2009/06/g ... amage.html

From the link:

" In essence, characters have hit points (typically 10 to 50 or more as they gain experience). In the palladium system they also have Structural Damage Capacity (SDC). Objects also have SDC, and whenever someone attempts to harm a person or an object, damage is dealt to the SDC to relfect flesh wounds and bruises before serious effects occurs with a wounding of Hit Points. I've gone on previously about how I feel hit points are an inferior system...

Mega Damage takes this to a grander level. 1 point of mega damage capacity (MDC) is equal to 100 hit points or SDC."

But there are some interesting scaling dilemmas that appear, along with serious engineering issues such as hardness and malleability of protective plating. A physical impact enough to punch through a human might not be able to punch through a sheet of 1 inch steel, but the same inertial impact is felt. It seems stupid that a human could be thrown back by the impact, while a supernatural being of the same height and weight doesn't even get knocked down."

In the context of Spyderco, a Knife with MDC metal or material would never be scratched or dented by a knife or material with MDC but it could cut through the SDC like a hot knife through butter or tungsten carbide through paper.

Weird?