Any Mushroom hunters?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
clovisc

Re: Any Mushroom hunters?

Post by clovisc »

Nice chicken of the woods. It is pretty common up here. I got about 35 lbs off of my first score this year. :)

Found a few more king boletes, including one that weighed about 2.5 lbs. (A lot less common up here.) Lots of admirables, but I don't get along with them so well.

Mushrooms are winding down, but I found an area full of newly fruiting winter chanterelles that I am going to go back for this weekend. Although perhaps the common edible mushroom on my island, they are also my favorite!!

Took a boat to a remote logging road system for a hike recently, and found what must have been hundreds of pounds of oysters and angel wings. Didn't pick any, though, as I am not especially fond of them.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

These Common Stinkhorn mushrooms, Phallus impudicus, pop up in my yard. The ants love them.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Recently, we've had rain and a lot of our cow patties are sprouting mushrooms.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5HrG5F2k4B7RxdFQ6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/f9BTMxwjTq5BJc5B6

What do I have here?
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I know my new buddy "Meat Man" is also from here in Missouri and I'm hoping that anyone else here at Spyderville that is from Missouri or familiar with the state please tell all of us which fall mushrooms are good to harvest here in the Great State of Missouri. We have tons of those Morel mushrooms here in our area but only briefly in the Spring time>> this past year I heard was a good one but I was laid up due to my surgery I had back in May.

But I've been told by a few old timers from the Lake Of The Ozarks area of the state that there are two to three species of Autumn mushrooms. But I want some solid, valid information because if you eat the wrong mushrooms here in Missouri then you are in some very serious trouble because we do have some very deadly Amanita Death Angel mushrooms here that will kill you fast.

So if any of you guys know your MISSOURI Mushrooms I would appreciate it. I may just go to the Dept. Of Conservation Office to see what I can do on my end. But all of you I can't stress enough that you MUST positively identify any mushroom you eat.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Today I found my first chanterelle of the season.

Crux

Post by Crux »

:eek: I dunno, maybe when I was a teenager.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

I don't know if these are a different kind of mushroom growing in the cow patties or if they are "ripened."

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vcrmFgXNBYyg4Uiy9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/P2GRy4r7LX8drbGM9
supracor

Post by supracor »

I always clean porcini with my Micromelt A11 Mule :)
remnar

Post by remnar »

Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

A couple of these were in my yard. About an inch across. My dog stepped on one so I pulled it up.
Gold top darker in center, hollow stem, brown gills, root ball came up with it but no blue staining when crushed.
I've read that not all shrooms have the distinctive blue stain but the psilocybin is active.
Not planning on eating them but what do you think?

remnar

Post by remnar »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:06 am
A couple of these were in my yard. About an inch across. My dog stepped on one so I pulled it up.
Gold top darker in center, hollow stem, brown gills, root ball came up with it but no blue staining when crushed.
I've read that not all shrooms have the distinctive blue stain but the psilocybin is active.
Not planning on eating them but what do you think?
I can't see your pics. When I quoted your post I can see the image links and they are very long. Not sure what's going on.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

remnar

Post by remnar »

Here are a few that I've found so far this season:

White Chanterelle

Pigs Ear Gomphus

Shaggy Mane

Cauliflower mushroom

Matsutake

White Truffle

I found the cauliflower mushroom and several matsutake today. It has been a mild summer so we've seen some mushrooms popping up much sooner than usual.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

This is about five inches across and was on the side of a stump.

remnar

Post by remnar »

Here are a couple that I came across today:

Another Cauliflower

Chicken of the woods

Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

A year has gone by since anyone posted but yesterday I saw these.
Never saw anything like it before. Amanita Jacksonii I think.
Supposedly edible.

Last March I spotted this. Coral Fungi I think. Also supposedly edible.

I'm not bold enough to eat any wild mushrooms, but good hunting.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I scored some chicken of the woods and some lions mane the other day. This is prime mushroom picking season here right now.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

With all the fires we have had this year maybe the morels will be plentiful in the coming years. I'd love to do more mushroom foraging but not experienced to know where. There is a local group that goes I think but we are still in a drought
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Are these what I think they are?

-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Mad Mac wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:43 pm
I'm not bold enough to eat any wild mushrooms, but good hunting.
There are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters but there are no old bold mushroom hunters. ;)
-Nick :bug-red