Any Mushroom hunters?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
chuckd

Any Mushroom hunters?

Post by chuckd »

Are there any other mushroom hunters among the spyderco forum ranks? I work in the woods and over the summer and fall learned the basics to mushroom hunting from a coworker and fell in love with it.

This time of year, and finally with some good rain, northern california is perfect for mushrooms. It has caused my trail runs to turn more into fast paced mushroom hunts.

I just got back from a run in which I found half dozen different types, of which I don't have memorized so I have to get my handy field guide out. I of course had my delica4 foliage green with me to do some pocking and slicing of specimens.

So with that, any of you fond of hunting for wild mushrooms??
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

There is a pretty good variety where I live in the Appalachian Mountains, I mainly just see chicken of the woods and always grab it when I do. Tastes great sautéed.
Military // PM 2 // Endura // Delica // Stretch // SE Tasman // SE Hawkbill Ladybug
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

I'm a big morel hunter. I can get lost in patches for hours during the season. I actually justified a couple spydercos for that purpose lol. The way this winters going in northern michigan we might still have snow in June :/

This is not a morel, I'm not sure what it is. I came across it while disc golfing.

~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

I don't know very much about mushrooms, my girlfriend tells me the ones that don't kill you and my Spyderhawk kills them... :) Very tasty with ham after some minutes in the oven.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Badfish,

Don't eat that one! I wouldn't try my luck with any amanita variety.

I usually do my mushroom hunting in the fall while hunting deer or elk. The Pacific Northwest has several varieties of edible mushrooms. I mostly go after chanterelles and matsutake, but if I come across chicken of the woods or cauliflower mushroom, then I will gladly bring it home. In this area Spring time is usually the time for morel hunting, but I've never gone after them.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Yes definitely do not eat that amanita! Beautiful mushrooms though.

I have found a sweet spot for shaggy manes near the house, have not had any well timed because they go quickly, but I will get it soon.

Earlier in the season I found some awesome boletes and a small number of chantrelles, but the rains had not picked up yet so there were not many.

good to see there are atleast a few people who chase the mushrooms!

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

Sometimes I stumble over something ...

[ATTACH]23354[/ATTACH]
Attachments
mushroom1.JPG
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

holy crap, is that a puffball?
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

Yupp, a puffball.

Some worms were already feeding on it but half of it was good.
I will have to wait for late summer though to find all different kinds of mushrooms in our woods.
JT

Post by JT »

chanterelles occasionally if I bump into them, really good when fried gently in a pan with lots of butter... mm.. butter...
But dude, you should get yourself a hawkbill for mushroom hunting!! may I suggest Tasman Salt for starters... then, for the big evil ones, like that puffball? a good ole Civilian might do the trick :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I envy you guys. I love eating mushrooms but know nothing about picking them out correctly. I'd be ER bound for sure. ;)

I had something growing in the backyard last year. Looked like a morel to me but who knows?

Ken
玉鋼
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

My Brother-in-Law is an avid mushroom hunter. His specialty is morels, but especially white morels. Having tasted a few (pan fried then stuffed with cheese), I can testify that they are among the most delicious things on the whole darned planet.

He mentioned that he didn't have a good mushroom knife, so I gifted him an orange Urban a few years back. He prefers something akin to a paring knife for hunting for better control - and the short wharncliffe on the orange Urban fits the bill nicely. Not to mention that the orange is highly visible on the forest floor in case he drops it.

Here are a few pics of last year's harvest. (and yeah, that's a walking stick that I carved for him!)

TedP

chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I have been unable to do any morel hunting but look forward to it. I find tons of mushrooms in the area but ID them to be the types that are not so tasty.

I found an awesome butter bolete a few months ago, it was about 7 inches across on the cap and beefy but the flies had gotten to it first. It was a pretty disappointing moment when i saw the maggots damage to it.

Spydernation #1990
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Which ones make you halucinate? Do they do that if you eat them or do you have to turn them into a drug first?

Jack
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

jackknifeh wrote:Which ones make you halucinate? Do they do that if you eat them or do you have to turn them into a drug first?

Jack
Mushrooms in the genus "Psilocybe." The "drug" is naturally occurring in these species.
Military // PM 2 // Endura // Delica // Stretch // SE Tasman // SE Hawkbill Ladybug
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

My wife is lucky enough to have a patch that kicks about a pound to two pounds of chanterelles a week in peak season (right now). We're going to be eating a bunch, and trading a bunch.

I'd suggest getting a few books if you plan on going out. It is also good to have a microscope to check spores if you plan on dancing with the devil.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

jackknifeh wrote:Which ones make you halucinate? Do they do that if you eat them or do you have to turn them into a drug first?

Jack
They are also "LBMs" aka little-brown-mushrooms which are typically avoided because of their difficulty to identify among other small brown mushrooms, many of which can be posionous.

Spydernation #1990
lerman

Post by lerman »

glad i found this thread, my other love (first one is knife making) is mushroom picking, we have a short winter here in israel but quite a variety of mushrooms, this winter wasn't very good but last year was amazing:

saffrons:

champignons

boletus

and some poisonous ones
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Those boletes look amazing! Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Spydernation #1990
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: Any Mushroom hunters?

Post by Mad Mac »

I am not a mushroom hunter and would not know an edible mushroom
from a psychedelic one, but have run across a few on our property.

November 2012, before I fell down the Spyder hole.
Hat shown to show the size of the thing.

These were on the side of a dead tree, December 2015. Tenacious shows the scale.
They appear to be Chaga medicinal mushrooms.

In January, I staged my Schempp Bowie on this big girl.

These large white mushrooms photographed today are cup shaped.
The Bradley at the top of the frame gives an indication of the size.

It is difficult to see, but the mushroom on the other side of the log
has rain water collected in it from last night.

Are these edible? Poisonous? Hallucinogenic?
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.