Any Mushroom hunters?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Any Mushroom hunters?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:15 am
Mad Mac wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:43 pm
I'm not bold enough to eat any wild mushrooms, but good hunting.
There are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters but there are no old bold mushroom hunters. ;)
Most poisonous mushrooms won’t kill you, they will just make you wish you were dead. :eek: In my area we don’t have very many deadly mushrooms but we have many that will make you very ill.

Honestly though, if you start with about a half dozen different types of mushrooms that are very easy to identify then you can do it safely. Then slowly add in more difficult to identify types as your experience grows. I pick a lot of lion’s mane because it has no lookalikes, it is delicious and it is plentiful behind my house.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
remnar

Post by remnar »

Chicken of the woods a few nights ago, pasta with chanterelles tonight and I'm watching a cauliflower mushroom that I hope will double in size over the next few days. :rolleyes: :) :spyder:
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Photographed in November 2012, is this Chicken of the Woods?

The curious thing that I have noticed about mushrooms, like this one and the white coral and the red Amanita, is that I've only seen them one time in the 20 years I've been scouting this property.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Can confirm that is not Chicken of the Woods but I'm not sure what kind of mushroom is pictured. (I can only see the first picture for some reason) My first thought was Chanterelle but after a quick google search they may be some old Jack-o-lantern Mushroom but thats just a quick guess.

Jack-o-lantern Mushroom is a common look alike to Chanterelle, which was my initial reaction after seeing the photo but they're growing differently than Chanterelle mushrooms. (In a cluster out of the base of a tree)
-Nick :bug-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:45 am
Mushroom wrote:
Mad Mac wrote:
There are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters but there are no old bold mushroom hunters. ;)
Most poisonous mushrooms won’t kill you, they will just make you wish you were dead. :eek: In my area we don’t have very many deadly mushrooms but we have many that will make you very ill.

Honestly though, if you start with about a half dozen different types of mushrooms that are very easy to identify then you can do it safely. Then slowly add in more difficult to identify types as your experience grows. I pick a lot of lion’s mane because it has no lookalikes, it is delicious and it is plentiful behind my house.
I see a lot of Lions Mane up in New Hampshire when I'm hiking around this time of year.

-Nick :bug-red
bearfacedkiller

Yum!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

Im no sure how well it will work with mushrooms, but Google phones have a image search built in to the camera app. I use it often to identify trees and wildflowers as well as plants around the yard that the wife plants and doesnt tell me about.
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Also if you have a Google Chromebook like I do, image search is available. I use it a lot. Results can be spooky accurate at times and very helpful, other times, laughable. That is how I identified the red Amanita. It is also my understanding that it is possible to image search using a Chrome browser.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
bearfacedkiller

Mad Mac wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:09 pm
Also if you have a Google Chromebook like I do, image search is available. I use it a lot. Results can be spooky accurate at times and very helpful, other times, laughable. That is how I identified the red Amanita. It is also my understanding that it is possible to image search using a Chrome browser.
You can install the google app on an iPhone and use your camera to do an image search. It does sometimes work very well with plants.
-Darby
bearfacedkiller

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:50 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
Mad Mac wrote:

I see a lot of Lions Mane up in New Hampshire when I'm hiking around this time of year.

That is interesting. I have picked a lot of Lions Mane and have only ever found it on beech. My buddy has found some on sugar maple though. Is that one on some type of maple?
-Darby
Kambei

Post by Kambei »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:19 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:50 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

That is interesting. I have picked a lot of Lions Mane and have only ever found it on beech. My buddy has found some on sugar maple though. Is that one on some type of maple?
That is definitely in the genus Hericium and here, in California, we would call it Bear’s Head (hericium abietsis) if it were growing on conifer. Lion’s Mane (hericium erinaceus) grows on the wounds of hardwoods, almost always on oaks in Cali, and is just a single clump with “icicles” hanging down. Absolutely delicious and fun to find because that white pom pon is unmistakable!

Ate some chicken of the woods last night. Incidentally, as a kid I despised mushrooms and couldn’t care less about them but now hunting them is one of my favorite hobbies along with collecting spydercos of course. :p
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Haven't a clue what these are but I thought they were pretty.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That one really nice book I bought a few years back I believe was written by a botanist named Roger Phillips. It has really nice pictures in it identifying at least 600 to 700 different species of North American mushrooms.

I'm wondering if there are any new books out now similar to that one? Because being absolutely sure of proper identification truly is a matter of life & death when you're dealing with wild Mushrooms. I truly love Morel and Beefsteak mushrooms and have eaten them throughout my life.

I've heard that there are some really good fall mushrooms here in Missouri and surrounding states and I wonder if any of you guys can fill me in on that?

Most survivalist advise against eating mushrooms in a survival situation unless you are 100% sure of it's identification. But there is some good nutritional value in eating the good ones. Any help will be appreciated :)
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

You have to ask yourself, "Self, why aren't the deer and wild hogs eating these mushrooms?"

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mad Mac wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:09 pm
You have to ask yourself, "Self, why aren't the deer and wild hogs eating these mushrooms?"
I have asked myself that same question. And I'm not sure that mushrooms are in the main diet of a deer. Now hogs will eat a lot of stuff but for some reason there are a few certain items they won't eat.

My dad raised hogs for years and he noticed over the years that they won't eat anything out of the nightshade family. I.E. potatos, tomatoes, any type of tabacco plants or anything else in the nightshade family of plants. Other items he said they won't eat are orange peels and a few other odd items. So I'm not sure that those critters would even eat the safe mushrooms.

But they do instinctively know what to forage on.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

These look yummy.

bearfacedkiller

A decent pile of oyster mushrooms. That is a one gallon freezer bag.

-Darby
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:10 pm
A decent pile of oyster mushrooms. That is a one gallon freezer bag.

While I was hunting for chanterelles late this summer I came across the biggest haul of oysters I've ever found. Perfect timing since we'd just bought a food dehydrator!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Mad Mac wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:57 am
Photographed in November 2012, is this Chicken of the Woods?

The curious thing that I have noticed about mushrooms, like this one and the white coral and the red Amanita, is that I've only seen them one time in the 20 years I've been scouting this property.
I can't believe I'm just seeing this thread! Mushroom hunting is a favorite passtime of mine and my husband's.

On this one I agree with Mushroom that they're not Chicken of the Woods, and are very likely Jack-o-lanterns, which are poisonous (but not deadly). It's hard to say without seeing the gills, though. But Jack-o-lanterns are still cool mushrooms, and get their name because the very fresh ones will sometimes glow in the dark! We have a big patch that comes back in the same spot in our woods each early fall. For mushroom IDing in general, it's really useful to get pictures of the stem and gills/underside as well.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:40 pm
That one really nice book I bought a few years back I believe was written by a botanist named Roger Phillips. It has really nice pictures in it identifying at least 600 to 700 different species of North American mushrooms.

I'm wondering if there are any new books out now similar to that one? Because being absolutely sure of proper identification truly is a matter of life & death when you're dealing with wild Mushrooms. I truly love Morel and Beefsteak mushrooms and have eaten them throughout my life.

I've heard that there are some really good fall mushrooms here in Missouri and surrounding states and I wonder if any of you guys can fill me in on that?

Most survivalist advise against eating mushrooms in a survival situation unless you are 100% sure of it's identification. But there is some good nutritional value in eating the good ones. Any help will be appreciated :)
Yes, MO has some great fall mushrooms. Right now you can find Hen of the Woods mushrooms at the base of oak trees, and Oyster mushrooms can grow year-round here. These are HotW mushrooms we found about 10 days ago:

We have a bunch of mushrooming books, but this is one of my favorites:
https://www.amazon.com/Edible-Mushrooms ... 0252076435

Mo Conservation also has a decent local mushrooming book:
https://www.mdcnatureshop.com/
- Julia