Any Mushroom hunters?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: Any Mushroom hunters?

Post by Mad Mac »

Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the woods.
I'm feeling a little queasy.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Can anybody recommend a good field/guide book for mushroom hunting? My grandfather went a lot when I was a kid and he carried a book with him. I was young and don't remember much about it but I do remember that he would make mushroom stews out of them.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Can anybody recommend a good field/guide book for mushroom hunting? My grandfather went a lot when I was a kid and he carried a book with him. I was young and don't remember much about it but I do remember that he would make mushroom stews out of them.
"All that the Rain Promises..." by David Arora, then add the amazing full volume companion, "Mushrooms Demystified."
remnar

Post by remnar »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Can anybody recommend a good field/guide book for mushroom hunting? My grandfather went a lot when I was a kid and he carried a book with him. I was young and don't remember much about it but I do remember that he would make mushroom stews out of them.
Killer, Your best bet is to find a good regional guide. The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms is good but it may have more than you need which can make it difficult to find what you're looking for. Another one that I like is called The New Savory Wild Mushroom. It is not as comprehensive but has good information on a lot of edible mushrooms. The best way to learn is to find someone that is already knowledgeable and willing to share what they know. There are also mycological organisations all over the place that can help you get started if you want to go that route.
remnar

Post by remnar »

clovisc wrote:I love mushroom hunting, and Southeast Alaska is a great place to find them. This weekend found an abundance of golden, black, and winter chanterelles; hedgehogs; tons of chicken of the woods; and a couple butter foot boletes. Duxelles for dinner.

I would love to see Spyderco do a mushroom knife. Small, gently curving blade with H1 or similar, brush on the end, maybe a carabiner type clip, and an Assist-style whistle for when you get inevitably lost by wandering off the trail looking at the ground.

Really don't see any high end mushroom knives out there. The Opinel is about the best it gets.
Fox Knives has some decent looking mushroom knives. I've never used one but I have seen some of them in person and they look a little nicer than the Opinel. They even have a couple models with thumb studs and liner locks for one handed opening and closing.

http://www.foxamericas.com/advanced_sea ... s=mushroom
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

The Fox knives are interesting; however, I would still strongly prefer a Spyderco treatment of this "ethnic" design. :)
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

I have never murdered a mushroom, but it seems to me that the Spyderco Tasman Salt with 3-inch, plain edge, non-rusting H-1 steel hawkbill blade and yellow FRN handle would be the ticket.

There is no lanyard hole but it could be clipped into a wrist lanyard. Dropped into the moldering, wet forest floor, the bright yellow handle would make it easy to recover and despite soggy slashing, the merciless blade would stay rust free.

Brush sold separately.

48% off at Knife Center.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Mad Mac wrote:I have never murdered a mushroom, but it seems to me that the Spyderco Tasman Salt with 3-inch, plain edge, non-rusting H-1 steel hawkbill blade and yellow FRN handle would be the ticket.

There is no lanyard hole but it could be clipped into a wrist lanyard. Dropped into the moldering, wet forest floor, the bright yellow handle would make it easy to recover and despite soggy slashing, the merciless blade would stay rust free.

Brush sold separately.

48% off at Knife Center.
That is exactly what I use. It does have a hole for a lanyard and I keep it looped around my wrist so that I can just let it dangle if I need to use both hands. This knife has also become one of my favorite hiking companions. :D

Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

remnar wrote:It does have a hole for a lanyard... :D
Doh! (Sound of hand slapping forehead.) A hollow clip screw. Clever, those Spyder designers.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Okay, fine; you have convinced me! No mushroom-specific Spyderco design necessary. Guess I will just tape the end of a small paintbrush to a Spyderhawk or Tasman, add a long lanyard, and call it good!
remnar

Post by remnar »

clovisc wrote:Okay, fine; you have convinced me! No mushroom-specific Spyderco design necessary. Guess I will just tape the end of a small paintbrush to a Spyderhawk or Tasman, add a long lanyard, and call it good!
Clovisc, I've thought about buying a dedicated mushroom knife just to have a brush handy but I can't bring myself to spend the money. Instead, I take a cheap chip brush that I get from the hardware store. I usually buy a few at a time just in case I lose them.

I made a lobster mushroom and chanterelle bisque from these that I picked on Wednesday and it was delicious. :)

clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Today we found huge winter chanterelles, hedgehogs, admirable boletes, a manzanita scaberstalk (a rare handful this week), and a single pacific golden chanterelle. Passed up some angel wings.

We are making bolete burgers tomorrow for my birthday meal. :) Omelette with duxelles for breakfast.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Today's Haul. Tomorrow's soup.

Mostly chanterelles with a few small hedgehogs, a couple lobsters, and a few boletes.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Mushroom bisque and the knives that helped make this meal possible. :) :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

valenciamanu

Post by valenciamanu »

Nothing mushrooms although very little ever went with my father. Near my house I found estas.El knife is brand Salamandra. a greeting.

SG89

Post by SG89 »

Hi guys could you tell me what mushroom this is? Image
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
awa54

Post by awa54 »

got a medium sized puffball last week, I need to figure out what to do with them, as the flavor isn't my favorite when just sauteed.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Hi guys could you tell me what mushroom this is? Image
Hard to be sure from the photo, but looks like Lyophyllum decastes.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Took my newborn daughter out for her first walk yesterday and found some stunning Boletus edulis, which are tough to find up here. Walking at "baby speed" paid off big time, as I think I would have missed them had I been sauntering along at my usual pace!
remnar

Post by remnar »

Jackpot!

Chicken of the woods (Laetiporus sulphureus) for days. Yum! :D