Any Mushroom hunters?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
remnar

Re: Any Mushroom hunters?

Post by remnar »

Random mushroom pics...

remnar

Post by remnar »

Hedgehogs!

u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Found a patch of Pear-shaped puffballs (Lycoperdon Pyriforme) collected a handful :)

u.w.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Found about ten pounds of maitake and made a huge pot of cream of mushroom soup with maitake and home grown shiitake. First time making it from scratch. Yum!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
remnar

Post by remnar »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:24 am
Found about ten pounds of maitake and made a huge pot of cream of mushroom soup with maitake and home grown shiitake. First time making it from scratch. Yum!!!
That sounds delicious... :drooling
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Wow! And YUM!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:05 pm
Wow! And YUM!
My mouth is watering! Awesome pictures . I’m looking forward mushrooming this spring for Grays and Morels . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I went to my storage unit this past week and found a great book that I bought about 15 years ago. The author is a guy named Roger Phillips and his book is simply entitled "Mushrooms". It's a fabulous reference book that lists over 1200 species of mushrooms here in the USA. And there are great color photos of most them as well.

I do believe that everyone who is serious about mushroom hunting in the upcoming Spring of 2022 that you would be very wise to get this book. Because proper identification of wild mushrooms could be the difference between life and death.

Here in the state of Missouri USA we usually have a nice supply of them in the Spring time. Mostly the "Morel" variety>> which is the only one I trust. Because every year I hear of someone eating bad mushrooms and many of them get a visit from the "grim reaper". Precise identification is very important and could indeed save your life. It's a super good reference book on mushrooms and one every mushroom hunter should own.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Used to hunt Morels with my dad. It was over 10yrs ago when we lived in West Virginia. It was an old timer that told us to look in old apple orchards and around ash trees. We had good luck in the overgrown orchards, so much that we only ever went to the one place every year. At the end of a typical day we would have 2 or 3 groceries bags full. After soaking in salt water they would get battered and fried. Throw it on a piece of bread with some mayo and grab some :clinking-mugs and your set!

They kinda make me want fried oysters.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

There is a bar in our area that has a yearly largest morel contest . Each year there usually a winner with one model weighing just under or over one pound . Years ago I was over at a buddies house when two mutual friends pulled up and back seat was filled with four sacks of morels and got invited the one their houses for deer steak and fried mushrooms. When I got there two more buddies were there and were weighing a mushroom on a scale that weighed one pound and two tenths. I asked if they were going to take to enter contest , and they laughed and said , “**** no we’re going to eat it “! Around here we look for dead Elms , usually can be productive. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ed9957

Post by ed9957 »

20220526_163651.jpg
Found a big Morel the other day.