Flashlights

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

eric m. wrote:Thanks! You have been very helpful, as usual!
Sorry Eric, I only have one charger. It's a Fenix and it only does 18650 cells. It seems to do that fine.

For safety and convenience I run single cell lights (my one 2 cell CR123 was bought before I understood the issues possible with 2+ cell lights) For simplicity, safety, convenience and run time I use lithium primaries in all my AAA, AA and CR123 lights. I know I can give up run time for lumens by running lithium ion rechargeables but that isn't something I generally have need of or interest in. I also don't go through so many batteries that cost is a big issue. If I burned up a cell every day or two I'd feel differently about that, I'm sure.

I'm sure there are folks who have deeper experience with rechargeables than I do.

Ken
玉鋼
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Used with a bit of moderation (more than one level mode) a CR123 can last a VERY long time. If you buy them online even a quality cell from say Duracell, Energizer or Panasonic is about $2.

While I prefer rechargeable cells and often of those AA or AAA's, primaries can last and last. With their shelf life of 10-15 years I always have a few around the house.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have had good luck with Battery Junction's brand of CR123's, I prefer single cell lights which should be safer. For two or multi cell lights, I would recommend changing to protected 18650's.

I was watching a video on youtube the other day with a 60w HID light that took 4x18650's and the guy recommended using unprotected cells with it, that's extremely crazy in my opinion.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

knolan wrote:Maybe I'm missing something but am a little confused by your comment? Recent posts refer to the RRT-01 (mag ring only UI), thus the stand-by drain...not the RRT-0, an older Jetbeam light w/a forward clicky as well as the mag control ring.
Oh, my bad, I have a RRT-0 with a tail switch and control ring.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Donut wrote:I was watching a video on youtube the other day with a 60w HID light that took 4x18650's and the guy recommended using unprotected cells with it, that's extremely crazy in my opinion.
I don't mind unprotected Li-Co's if it's one cell; the lack of a protection circuit can be a great thing as it won't trip and leave you with a light that doesn't function. For multiples, typically, the cells aren't under as much load but they should be voltage-matched to a fastidious level (which most people don't do). I agree that it's generally a dumb approach.

Now, if I had to use multiple cells (like 18650's) I wouldn't use anything but AW IMR's. They are unprotected but the Li-Mn chemistry is way safer. Capacity is bunk compared to some other cells but the efficiency upwards of 3a is pretty competitive and they don't sag as bad as most lithium cobalts. The main thing though is the less likely chance of explosion and no chance of one with flames.

There are reasons to use multiple cells in a light. A few primaries can give you nice runtime or a few li-ions can give you a higher potential performance ceiling than one large cell. My P60 is running 5 amps through a XML2 dedome for upwards of 1300 lumens off a single IMR18650. I've considered going with a host using two IMR18650's and running a MTG2 for like 3000 lumens...it's a bit silly though. :p
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have a Eagletac 6 Nichia light that uses 3 18650's. I put 3 IMR 18650's in it. It's been sitting for a couple of months. I went to turn it on yesterday and it didn't light. I opened it up and one of the batteries has a terminal that is rusting. I imagine that the one battery is dead.

I always figured an IMR cell was good for semi-long term storage. I need to check with AW on what his thoughts are.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Oh bummer :(

That's how I keep all my lights (loaded with IMRs). I think for optimal storage it should be room temp and discharged to half but I keep em at 4.2v or thereabouts.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I posted in AW's IMR thread, we'll see what he says.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

kbuzbee wrote:Sorry Eric, I only have one charger. It's a Fenix and it only does 18650 cells. It seems to do that fine.

For safety and convenience I run single cell lights (my one 2 cell CR123 was bought before I understood the issues possible with 2+ cell lights) For simplicity, safety, convenience and run time I use lithium primaries in all my AAA, AA and CR123 lights. I know I can give up run time for lumens by running lithium ion rechargeables but that isn't something I generally have need of or interest in. I also don't go through so many batteries that cost is a big issue. If I burned up a cell every day or two I'd feel differently about that, I'm sure.

I'm sure there are folks who have deeper experience with rechargeables than I do.

Ken
No need to be sorry Ken! I was just expecting a quicker response from the brothers on the Forum! I'm new to this flashlight thing, but my friend on the jail CERT team has been talking to me about the advantages of these lights! He also got me started on Spyderco! Before I buy anything I research to the best of my ability, and that often includes people who have first hand experience and two-way information flow! That you cannot get just by going to reviews on the Internet. Thanks for your response! :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

AW says my IMR batteries are approximately 20 years old. :p (I ordered them in 2008.)

He says that you should keep them above 3.8 volts for storage. (Seems high.) He also says that LiIon batteries usually last about 5 years whether they are used or not. I have several batteries that are probably 10 years old. Too bad I don't have a metered Lithium battery charger to test them.

Maybe that is something I will look at getting next.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Donut

Post by Donut »

After doing a little bit of checking. It doesn't look like they make a charger that will discharge Lithium cells. The best I can find is ones with a voltage meter on them.

http://efestpower.com/Product/7021353648.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221373282581?lpid=82 (This has a picture showing only accurate to 0.1 volts.)

and

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... ht=charger
http://www.xtarlight.com/05-chanpin/p-0 ... r%20Series

This is kind of interesting: http://www.batteryjunction.com/wuprcwamepoa.html
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't have a hobby charger that can discharge cells or even a load-tester like a ZTS for testing primaries. The main one I use is a Cottonpicker Triple Setting USB charger that does 1 cell and has a digital readout.

IMHO, testing a cell's voltage every so often is a good indication of it's relative life. That and excessive drain when in use. The more frequent you check, the safer things get.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I guess I've been a bit abusive to my rechargeable batteries. I charge them, I put them in a light, and maybe every 6 months I recharge them unless the light stops working, then I charge it at that time.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Makunochimaster

Re: Flashlights

Post by Makunochimaster »

Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Very cool Mak. Love those pics! I have an OLight I keep on my keychain. I have been thinking of an upgrade to keep in my truck.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Makunochimaster

i had Olight Baton Pro, it was very cool🐋

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Great pics Mak!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Makunochimaster

abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Great pics! Once you go high CRI it's hard to go back.

I just got another SST20 4000k Anduril flashlight to play with. The Wurkkos TS21 has USB C and supports power bank functionality with it's 5000mah 2700 battery, great for camping, and just a decent bugout bag light in general.

Anduril is of course a ramping UI with customization options, and has fun modes like candlelight which we really like when using to illuminate camp.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just got a new Fenix PD36 Tac. I'm kinda on the fence about the controls but I do like how I have quick and easy access to the brightest setting and strobe and then can twist the cap and have that set to whatever other brightness setting I use most, which for me is the lowest setting.

For most people I think 3000 lumens might seem like overkill for an EDC light but I'd gladly take twice that much if they could package it in the same size light. I don't always need that much but when I do need it I NEED IT so I definitely appreciate it.

I thought this comparison was kinda shocking, especially when you consider the headlights are two beams vs one flashlight, and one of those headlights is an upgraded LED bulb (one burned out so I'm running a factory bulb until I get a replacement).

I think the headlights might have more throw from the brights but for a pocketable flashlight this light is pretty impressive.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David