Flashlights

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I have the Olight Transformer. It's a good light but a bit old tech and no clip. I would prob go with the Eagletac D25 clicky.

As for your GF, AAA clickies are less abundant. Streamlight or Preon1 with a Preon2 tailcap perhaps. Maybe a DQG S1 (never tried one).
Revival

Post by Revival »

Blerv wrote:I have the Olight Transformer. It's a good light but a bit old tech and no clip. I would prob go with the Eagletac D25 clicky.

As for your GF, AAA clickies are less abundant. Streamlight or Preon1 with a Preon2 tailcap perhaps. Maybe a DQG S1 (never tried one).
Thank you for the info about the Olight Transformer. I thought about giving her my micro stream but I want something stronger.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Revival wrote: - 4sevens Revo SS (discontinued and not available anywhere)
Klarus makes a SS version of the Revo, its called Klarus Mi X6
There is also an Alu version, called Klarus Mi10
And a Ti version, called Klarus Mi X6 Ti

As far as I know, Klarus actually made the Revos for 4Sevens at the time, but some dispute between them caused 4Sevens to discontinue the Revo.

I bought their SS and Al versions recently as backups.

Edit: I actually prefer the tint of the Klarus (warmer) over the Revo (greener)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

Revival wrote:Wondering what kind of flashlights you Spyderholics have/prefer?

I currently have:

- Foursevens Gen2 QT2L with Burst Mode
- Streamlight Micostream
- Streamlight Stylus Pro

I am newer to flashlights and have been interested in trying out the Thrunites.

Curious to know what you guys have.
I have a bunch but the primary ones that I use are Surefire, Foursevens, Princeton Tec and Fenix.

I'm especially partial to E series Surefire lights and rarely leave the area I live in without an E2L and EB1 close by. I carry a Fenix LD01 and a Foursevens Preon P0 everyday on my keys and in my pocket.

I've had hit and miss experiences with other manufacturers but these have yet to let me down. At least beyond something that I could easily fix.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Revival wrote:Thank you for the info about the Olight Transformer. I thought about giving her my micro stream but I want something stronger.
There's literally about 3 choices in single-AAA lights with a clicky switch and a carry clip.

If you want something stronger than the Streamlight Microstream model, Blev already mentioned it. 4sevens model Preon 1 with Peon 2 tailcap switch. You can order the Preon 1, and then the clicky switch separately.

I actually have a Preon 1 with Preon 2 tailcap. Works well. (Ironically, I personally prefer a Preon 2 with Preon 1 flat tailcap. Though not everyone wants a 2AAA light with a twist-mechanism. Though I love that it sits perfectly low in a back-pocket of a pair of pants.)
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
Revival

Post by Revival »

Brock O Lee wrote:Klarus makes a SS version of the Revo, its called Klarus Mi X6
There is also an Alu version, called Klarus Mi10
And a Ti version, called Klarus Mi X6 Ti

As far as I know, Klarus actually made the Revos for 4Sevens at the time, but some dispute between them caused 4Sevens to discontinue the Revo.

I bought their SS and Al versions recently as backups.

Edit: I actually prefer the tint of the Klarus (warmer) over the Revo (greener)
Wow good to know. Thank you. Nice looking lights but no clip.
Monocrom wrote:There's literally about 3 choices in single-AAA lights with a clicky switch and a carry clip.

If you want something stronger than the Streamlight Microstream model, Blev already mentioned it. 4sevens model Preon 1 with Peon 2 tailcap switch. You can order the Preon 1, and then the clicky switch separately.

I actually have a Preon 1 with Preon 2 tailcap. Works well. (Ironically, I personally prefer a Preon 2 with Preon 1 flat tailcap. Though not everyone wants a 2AAA light with a twist-mechanism. Though I love that it sits perfectly low in a back-pocket of a pair of pants.)
Sorry for the confusion but I am actually looking for an AA light or CR123 with clicky for her.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I am actually looking for an AA light or CR123 with clicky for her.
Well, the FourSevens Quark Tactical and Quark Pro Single AA (QTA / QPA) have clickies. They also have a 4.2V max input voltage, so you can even use a 14500 rechargeable lithium battery in them. Even though FourSevens lights are made in China they're a US company, and their headquarters is in the greater Atlanta (GA) metro area. I've never needed any customer support from them, but it's nice knowing that they're based here in the US.
Revival

Post by Revival »

Ok I think I have been overthinking things for her. I am looking for something with a clicky and 1-3 modes. Color and batterie(s) doesn't matter. I want her to have something simple as possible and compact to fit in her purse. I would give her my microstream or stylus pro but would prefer for her to have something brighter. Price range up to $30-$40. This should open up the options.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Prob the best keychain light I sold my wife on was the Foursevens MiNi 123. Linear mode-changing with twisty, nice throw, great output for the size, batteries last a long time.

For me clicky lights are best when they are clipped to your pants with the button exposed. Otherwise they tend to turn on accidentally.
Revival

Post by Revival »

Blerv wrote:Prob the best keychain light I sold my wife on was the Foursevens MiNi 123. Linear mode-changing with twisty, nice throw, great output for the size, batteries last a long time.

For me clicky lights are best when they are clipped to your pants with the button exposed. Otherwise they tend to turn on accidentally.
Very good point about the clickys. I'll start looking for simple twistys too. Thanks.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I wonder how long it will take for flashlight technology to really make a difference in performance(brightness and runtime) from my current 1X18650 XM-L? I don't wanna keep checking the torch forums. :)
Revival

Post by Revival »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I wonder how long it will take for flashlight technology to really make a difference in performance(brightness and runtime) from my current 1X18650 XM-L? I don't wanna keep checking the torch forums. :)
What light are you talking about exactly?
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Revival wrote:Very good point about the clickys. I'll start looking for simple twistys too. Thanks.
For purse-carry, a twisty would be best. For a single-AA, multi-mode light (twist mechanism) with a good clip that meets your budget; there's the Olight i2 EOS model.

(I own its identical twin sister, the Maratac AA model. But that version is only available through County Comm. And their customer care/service has been completely in the toilet for awhile now.)
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Revival wrote:What light are you talking about exactly?
I have an EDC 18650. Recommended from budgetlightforums for being one of the smallest 1X18650's. Around 550 lumens on high and very pocketable. I have a big vacant lot I go through and I often come home when it's dark. I want to be able to scan it fast.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/12370
Revival

Post by Revival »

I have one last question. I think for my light, I want to get the Eagletac D25A Ti Clicky

This one says its the 2014 version

http://goinggear.com/flashlights/flashl ... rsion.html

I usually buy things from amazon and could not tell if the ones they have listed are the 2014 version or older models. Anyone know what was upgraded in the 2014 version? I don't always believe that newer versions are better but the problem is I am too new to this to know which is better. I still don't understand the flashlight lingo.

So basically I want to get this light but don't know if the same models listed on Amazon are the same as the one listed on going gear. If it is different, which one should I get?

Thanks in advance.
Donut

Post by Donut »

If the runtime and lumen output numbers match, it is going to be the same model.

Also, a lot of times with Titanium lights, the normal production companies do a special run of them and don't make them across many years.

I suggest using going gear, they are one of the best dealers I've ever worked with.

Don't forget the 10% off coupon code from here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showth ... es-dealers
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Revival

Post by Revival »

Donut wrote:If the runtime and lumen output numbers match, it is going to be the same model.

Also, a lot of times with Titanium lights, the normal production companies do a special run of them and don't make them across many years.

I suggest using going gear, they are one of the best dealers I've ever worked with.

Don't forget the 10% off coupon code from here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showth ... es-dealers
Thanks. On Amazon, the dealer had it listed as 200 lumens in the title and in the description. But in the picture it said it was the 2014 model with 176 lumens and was confirmed by the dealer. Today I can't find the listing.

Thanks for the link but it doesn't work for me. I don't think I have enough posts there yet?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Revival wrote:Thanks. On Amazon, the dealer had it listed as 200 lumens in the title and in the description. But in the picture it said it was the 2014 model and was confirmed by the dealer. Today I can't find the listing.

Thanks for the link but it doesn't work for me. I don't think I have enough posts there yet?
Something to also consider is that flashlight companies constantly piddle with what LED they are using. Over the last 5 years (or so) lumens have gone up quite a bit but the relative size of the dies have as well. So basically, you do have more overall light (lumens) and efficiency but frequently at the loss of hotpot intensity (lux).

Common Cree LED's in size order (small to large):

XR-E/XP-E < XP-G < XM-L

Eg: Eagletac offers a XM-L2 in the same light as the previous XP-G2. Typically lumens will go up 50-100%. The size of the hotspot and beam spill will be brighter but the center (hotspot) won't be as intense and thus it will not throw as far. Again, assuming other factors are the same...reflectors, amperage, etc.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Revival wrote:Thanks. On Amazon, the dealer had it listed as 200 lumens in the title and in the description. But in the picture it said it was the 2014 model and was confirmed by the dealer. Today I can't find the listing.

Well, it's on retailmenot.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/goinggear.com?c=1526930
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Revival

Post by Revival »

Blerv wrote:Something to also consider is that flashlight companies constantly piddle with what LED they are using. Over the last 5 years (or so) lumens have gone up quite a bit but the relative size of the dies have as well. So basically, you do have more overall light (lumens) and efficiency but frequently at the loss of hotpot intensity (lux).

Common Cree LED's in size order (small to large):

XR-E/XP-E < XP-G < XM-L

Eg: Eagletac offers a XM-L2 in the same light as the previous XP-G2. Typically lumens will go up 50-100%. The size of the hotspot and beam spill will be brighter but the center (hotspot) won't be as intense and thus it will not throw as far. Again, assuming other factors are the same...reflectors, amperage, etc.
Excellent info. Thank you Blerv!
Donut wrote:Well, it's on retailmenot.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/goinggear.com?c=1526930
Appreciate it Donut. I have been browsing that site quite a bit and been watching a lot of his vids. Good stuff, thank you.