Flashlights

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Revival

Flashlights

Post by Revival »

Wondering what kind of flashlights you Spyderholics have/prefer?

I currently have:

- Foursevens Gen2 QT2L with Burst Mode
- Streamlight Micostream
- Streamlight Stylus Pro

I am newer to flashlights and have been interested in trying out the Thrunites.

Curious to know what you guys have.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

I only have a Fenix E21. Flashlights just don't hold the same allure that knives do, for me at least.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Revival

Post by Revival »

Strong-Dog wrote:I only have a Fenix E21. Flashlights just don't hold the same allure that knives do, for me at least.
True…however, they are good to have!
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Revival wrote:True…however, they are good to have!
That is very true
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Those are nice lights :) !

Typically I'll have a Peak Eiger or Beta-QR on me and a larger light in my coat pocket. Often a p60 host with either a spicy de-domed XML2 or a Mule (no reflector) with a warm XML2. These run of off an 18650 for a bit more oomph.

Sometimes I rotate the small light out for a Peak Logan or a Zebralight SC51. Lately tho the AAA configuration is super comfy in my pocket.
Revival

Post by Revival »

Blerv wrote:Those are nice lights :) !

Typically I'll have a Peak Eiger or Beta-QR on me and a larger light in my coat pocket. Often a p60 host with either a spicy de-domed XML2 or a Mule (no reflector) with a warm XML2. These run of off an 18650 for a bit more oomph.

Sometimes I rotate the small light out for a Peak Logan or a Zebralight SC51. Lately tho the AAA configuration is super comfy in my pocket.
Nice. Only recently I heard about the 18650's. Would you recommend them? I heard that not all CR123's lights are compatible? How would I know?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Revival wrote:Nice. Only recently I heard about the 18650's. Would you recommend them? I heard that not all CR123's lights are compatible? How would I know?
It's a bit of a can of worms on that question :) . Best answer is to check the manufacturer specs on each light. The 18650 is approximately twice as long as a CR123 and 2mm wider in diameter (18 vs 16). Usually a light that will take two cr123's will take a single 18650. It you want to go rechargeable power it's a great cell; massive capacity and high voltage. With safe charging practices it's also safer than two CR123's because there is no chance of cross-balancing.

Really though, it's mainly a perk if you want runtime and high output in a small package. A few AA's can get you 1000 lumens these days and the only thing you give up is a bit of width or length.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I really like Zebralights. I've been carrying a Zebralight SC52 (with a 14500) for the last year or so, and carried an SC51 before that. I also use an SC600 MKII around the house at night. I couldn't be happier with their performance and UI.

I also use Nitecore, Jetbeam, Fenix, Sunwayman, 4Sevens, HDS, Peak, Klarus, Lummi, Surefire, and a few others too. But the Zebralights see the most use. (yes, I am a recovering flashaholic)
:bug-red-white
LC Kid

Let There Be Light

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

It's true that Flashlights don't hold the same allure as Knives, but I never go anywhere without my torch.
I really like 4Sevens, but it doesn't mean they are the best out there. There are a lot of nice brands, and it's pretty awesome for us to have such a variety of top quality lights to chose from.

I'm absolutely partial to batteries that I can find anywhere, and that's the reason why I don't use CR123A lights. Lithium AA and AAA do wonders to me.
:D My regular EDC pocket light are the 4Sevens Preon ReVo or the Klarus MiX6 Ti, both are reliable little 90 Lumens 1AAA torches. :rolleyes: When I want something a little more serious there is my 4Sevens Quark Pro QP2A-X, really fantastic 336 Lumens 2AA torch. :cool:
Stay Sharp!
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

I have my 1st EDC now in the mail headed my way. Did a ton of reading and decided on a Fenix PD22. Wanted something small with a high ride durable pocket clip.
Fish on!
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I used to carry a zebralight SC52 every day, but it's kinda big. Recently "down-sized" to a L10 Illuminations L3 with a 14500, and the Nichia tint is gorgeous! It's to the point where a $25 flashlight has pushed my Zebralight out of my pocket and I don't know what to do with the zebralight anymore. I'm also thinking of getting a MBI HF or a Quantum D2 for my keychain, or perhaps a larger 18650 light... but other than that I'm mainly into knives.

And a personal thing, but I'm scared of using 2 li-ion cells in the same light. I've heard a few stories of the light actually exploding because of a voltage difference. So I'm sticking to single cells. It's probably not a big deal, but I'm a guy, and a flashlight in the pocket is quite close to some sensitive areas... :D
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

I carry a Fenix PD35, and I love it.
Water babies singing in a lily-pool delight
Blue powder monkies praying in the dead of night
Here comes the black queen, poking in the pile
Fie-fo the black queen, marching single file
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Only recently I heard about the 18650's. Would you recommend them? I heard that not all CR123's lights are compatible? How would I know?
The 18650 is a single rechargeable lithium battery measuring 18mm diameter x 65.0mm length. The CR123A battery is a actually a combination of two naming conventions: It's a CR1 lithium battery that is 2/3 A size. An A battery is slightly longer and thicker than a AA battery , much like a AA battery is slightly longer and thicker than a AAA battery. CR123A primary batteries are 16mm diameter x 34mm length or 17mm diameter x 34.5mm length. So, a pair of CR123A batteries is 16 to 17 mm diameter with a combined length of 68 to 69 mm. That's the first part.

The second part is that primary (non-rechargeable) lithium cells are 3.0 Volts. Rechargeable lithium batteries are 3.7 Volts nominal, but come off the charger at 4.2V. So, in almost all applications a 17670 rechargeable battery (or 18650 if flashlight ID will hold it) can replace a pair of CR123A primary cells because the single 17670 / 18650 is only putting out about 2/3 the voltage of the pair of CR123A batteries (6V combined).

Besides the balancing issues of a pair of rechargeable cells, most 2x CR123A lights will not handle the 7.4 to 8.4 volts of a pair of 16340 rechargeable cells deliver. However, if maintained and charged as a pair, you can typically use a pair of 18500 or 17500 rechargeable cells to replace the 3x CR123A primary cells in flashlights that take those. Single CR123A lights are another story entirely. Most are rated at 3 to 3.2 volts max, so a single 16340 wont work in them. There are exceptions however, and most (all?) of the FourSevens Quark single CR123A lights are rated 4.2V max; so those can use a single 16340.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Streamlight has served me well. I EDC a c4 penlight, and I have the Polytac on my long guns. TLR1 for handguns.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Take a look at the Olight S10 for a compact, single cell (cr123), bright light. Less than an inch in diameter & less than 3" long. Has a flat base & magnet mount so it can be stuck to a horizontal or vertical surface for a work light (car at night, etc.) I'm constantly amazed at how nice this thing is when I use it. At night at the house, it's all I need for a walk around outside. The LED technology is still like magic to me.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I normally carry a 4Sevens Preon Revo SS (great little current controlled single AAA light).

A bit late to the party, but this weekend I received a Zebralight SC52. For a single AA light, I'm impressed !
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Revival

Post by Revival »

This thread reminded me that I need a TLR-1... It also made me realize that I know nothing about flashlights. Good info guys! Keep it going.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Revival wrote:This thread reminded me that I need a TLR-1... It also made me realize that I know nothing about flashlights. Good info guys! Keep it going.
Like knives the functional knowledge threshold is very low. Buy one and use it :) .

You certainly can keep peeling away the layers of the onion. Welcome to the club!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

noseoil wrote:Take a look at the Olight S10 for a compact, single cell (cr123), bright light. Less than an inch in diameter & less than 3" long. Has a flat base & magnet mount so it can be stuck to a horizontal or vertical surface for a work light (car at night, etc.) I'm constantly amazed at how nice this thing is when I use it. At night at the house, it's all I need for a walk around outside. The LED technology is still like magic to me.
I'm with you, Noseoil. I was a 4Sevens and Fenix guy for years. But after I got a couple of the Olight S10 and S20 (2xCR123) lights, we are hooked. The magnet on the back is incredibly useful, the side button is a lot better for my uses than a back clicky or twister, and the brightness is really high for the size/weight. Great lights.

TedP
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Revival wrote:Wondering what kind of flashlights you Spyderholics have/prefer?

I currently have:

- Foursevens Gen2 QT2L with Burst Mode
- Streamlight Micostream
- Streamlight Stylus Pro

I am newer to flashlights and have been interested in trying out the Thrunites.

Curious to know what you guys have.
You'll find me on Candle Power Forums as a long-time regular. While I own literally a bit of everything. I do tend to prefer Made in America lights. Though honestly less out of patriotism and more out of overall quality and durability. Lights from China tend to be Bright & Cheap. Well, two things with that....

1) Bright & Cheap is the easiest trick to pull off in the flashlight industry. Absolutely easy!

2) When you buy something marketed as Bright & Cheap, you ONLY get Bright & Cheap. For some incredibly bizarre reason, folks genuinely get upset when their Bright & Cheap monstrosity fails on them. "Oh I'm sorry, did you expect Quality was going to just be tossed in for free? Sorry" :rolleyes:

Of course not all lights made in China are simply Bright & Cheap. I own several made in China lights that work well, lack the durability of a SureFire light; but overall quality is very good indeed. Of course none of those lights were what anyone would call "Cheap."

My favorite penlight is my Fenix LD05. Yes, a bit thick for a 2AAA penlight, but rock-solid. 2nd favorite is my 4Seven's Preon 2 model with the flat tailcap off of a Preon 1 model. Very low-profile clipped inside a back-pocket. Favorite single-AAA keychain light is my Fenix L0D (replaced by the same-bodied Fenix LD01 model). For blinding bright light, my incandescent SureFire M6. Daily carry is a modded SureFire L1 (love the dual-mode tailcap switch on that one). Nothing beats a SureFire A2 for the best of both worlds in an combination inca. and LED light. Pelican 8060 model for a full-sized LED light that has an almost exclusively unique feature. It can run well on either the rechargeable battery stick, or 4C batteries instead. Dual battery type performance is obscenely rare in the flashlight industry.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder: