Flashlights

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Revival, Going Gear is on the other side of Atlanta from me. Their owner, Marshall, a really nice guy who's totally down to earth. He and his staff are great folks, and I'll second the recommendation of buying from them. I'd also look at ArmyTek lights from going gear or another retailer. ArmyTek is assembled in Canada from US and Japanese optics and electronics. I'm not sure where the bodies are made, but hopefully they'll be at Blade again this year so I can ask. The owner is a Russian expat engineer, and she also happens to be gorgeous. Going Gear should also have their normal huge setup at Blade this year.
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

I still like P60/D26 hosts (L2P, Xeno G5) for mono-18650 flashlights. I also like 16340 (Sunwayman V10R Ti XP-G, V10R Ti+ XM-L, HDS with seoul P4 high-CRI (not on the picture)) and 18350 (simple, small and awesome RRT01 XM-L2)

| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
tlo14290

Post by tlo14290 »

I really like my Fenix LD22. 15-190 lumens, uses AAs, batteries last a looong time, nice clip, and it's long and skinny and sturdy enough to use as a yawara stick. Works really well for that, in fact...
JBE

Post by JBE »

No brand preference really...Just a few that fit my needs: Arc AAA, Olight S15, and a Streamlight PolyTac. I also have a few 2D MagLights that I'm fixing fixing to upgrade with some TerraLux drop-ins. For work I have a Pelican Super SabreLite and a Pelican L4 (we have to use intrinsically-safe lights that are Class 1/Div II rated offshore). I used to have an old ican SureFire G2 but I gave it to my oldest son to replace the one he lost.
Jason
Revival

Post by Revival »

I just wanted to do an update since I purchased some new lights. I tend to do go overboard but it's just the way I am...haha. I also have a foursevens Preon P0 that is not pictured. So here they are:

Eagletac D25A Ti Clicky

Foursevens Quark Tactical QTA

Thrunite T-10 S

Solarforce Z2

Fenix E12
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Revival wrote:So even though I lurked the Candlepower forums for a while, I recently browsed their forum in a little more depth and it's definitely overwhelming and intimidating.
True words. And a lot of folks there are not quite as welcoming as folks here to newbie questions. I had my hat handed to me there just yesterday as I was trying to get a better handle on the various user interfaces available. Use one wrong word and you're toast ;)

I tend to like simple and reliable. A very low mode and one with more oomph. ;) For years I've considered myself a Fenix guy, and I still like their lights. But I think I've found my EDC (at least until the next generation comes out with double the brightness and double the runtime at 1/2 the size and 75% of the cost ;) )

A Sunwayman M11R. I just love this interface. Simple twist (just a ring, not the head) goes from Off to Moonlight to Regular to Very Bright. It's a single CR123 and quite small for that cell. Almost 1/2" shorter than my Fenix PD22G2 and a few grams lighter.

I can't recommend this light highly enough, unless you need a tactical light with a tail cap switch (that would be the similar V11R in this line)

Ken
玉鋼
Revival

Post by Revival »

Nice light Ken. I looked at the V11R a few times. I really like the UI and the fact that you can get the tube to covert it to an AA light. Who knows, that might be my next light.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Revival wrote:Nice light Ken. I looked at the V11R a few times. I really like the UI and the fact that you can get the tube to covert it to an AA light. Who knows, that might be my next light.
I was between the V11R and the M11R. I liked the infinite adjust on the V versus the discreet of the M and thought I'd rather have the tail cap switch (also, just reading, the V seems to get a lot more love than the M, overall)

In my reading I found out the V takes a relatively high current to run the magnetic ring. Disproportionately high at lower voltage settings, where I tend to run. This was a big deal to me for an EDC.

Having gotten the M I have to say, I don't miss the tail cap switch at all. In fact, I'm preferring the interface without it, which surprised me. And though infinite adjust sounds cool, the spacing on these three settings is pretty close to ideal, for me. Infinite adjust would be a fun toy to play with but not really required for function.

I also like the M is slightly shorter than the V.

Ken
玉鋼
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

kbuzbee wrote:I don't miss the tail cap switch at all. In fact, I'm preferring the interface without it, which surprised me. And though infinite adjust sounds cool, the spacing on these three settings is pretty close to ideal, for me. Infinite adjust would be a fun toy to play with but not really required for function.
Until now I always purchased flashlights with mechanical clicky (reverse or forward) = no parasitic drain when the flashlight is OFF.
But since I'm using a JETbeam RRT01 (XM-L2, OP reflector) I completely rediscovered the ease of use of a flashlight: no clicky, infinite variable adjustment with very low (much more than Sunwayman V series) and the beam is nicer than any 16340 Sunwayman flashlight using an XM-L.
The RRT01 is 18350 compatible.

On this gif, I'm adjusting it with the thumb only. The other flashlight is a V10R Ti+ at its lowest setting (for comparison):

I'm going to buy a second one for an emitter swap with an XM-L high CRI.
| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
knolan

Post by knolan »

I'm using a JETbeam RRT01 (XM-L2, OP reflector)...I'm going to buy a second one for an emitter swap with an XM-L high CRI.
Might not be cost effective for you living in France but FWIW illuminationsupply in San Jose, CA (online store) has a great sale on the RRT-01 (XM-L2) currently at 1/2 off...$44.50. Great deal on a very popular mag ring light! If I didn't already own several...I'd jump on it.
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

Thanks for the heads up. Even with additionnal shipping fees to France, it's still a great deal. Ordered two.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

What's the drain like on the Jetbeam?

Peak lights don't suffer any drain that I know of due to the QTC "switch" system.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Tally-ho wrote:Thanks for the heads up. Even with additionnal shipping fees to France, it's still a great deal. Ordered two.
Haha...glad you snagged a couple! They actually had the special edition Ti version of this same light a few days ago...the Jetbeam TCR for 1/2 off at $100, but has since sold out. I thought about it for awhile and ultimately passed, though now I'm kind of regretting it.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Blerv wrote:What's the drain like on the Jetbeam?
55uA on average.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

knolan wrote:55uA on average.
That's certainly a small drop in the bucket. :)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Blerv wrote:That's certainly a small drop in the bucket. :)
It is. And that's one great deal! And... Oh, never mind... ;)

Ken
玉鋼
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Just purchased a Fenix LD12, an LD22, and a PD35, and was wondering on the best chargers and batteries to go with these lights! Thanks for your help! :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

I can't imagine there would be any drain on the RRT-0 if you use the tail switch to turn it on and off. That being due to the whole "open circuit" thing.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
knolan

Post by knolan »

Donut wrote:I can't imagine there would be any drain on the RRT-0 if you use the tail switch to turn it on and off. That being due to the whole "open circuit" thing.
Maybe I'm missing something but am a little confused by your comment? Recent posts refer to the RRT-01 (mag ring only UI), thus the stand-by drain...not the RRT-0, an older Jetbeam light w/a forward clicky as well as the mag control ring.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Thanks! You have been very helpful, as usual!