I'm looking for a FRIENDLY gun forum.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
User avatar
Gunslinger
Member
Posts: 867
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:45 am
Location: Missouri USA Earth
Contact:

I'm looking for a FRIENDLY gun forum.

Postby Gunslinger » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:34 am

I have been going to a gun forum that will remain unnamed because of shiny footprints and it's full of D-bags. Every innocent comment gets some know it all telling you how your wrong, and the brand bashing never stops. So, I'm hoping there's a decent gun forum where everyone gets along.

I guess I'm spoiled by Spyderco forums because this place has the coolest people on it. Everyone seems to get along for the most part, and the troublemakers don't stick around for long. Not to mention it's based around the coolest company.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User avatar
wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 2909
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am
Location: New Hampshire

Postby wrdwrght » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:23 pm

If I understand it correctly, The High Road spun off of The Firing Line for reasons of civility. I lurk on THR and have found the place (where different brand devotees mix) to be relatively respectful, but it still has its caliber wars and best bear gun declarations...
Marc <— a mere data-point

RECENT ARRIVAL: Maxamet PM2. ON RADAR: Lil’ Native slipjoint; Siren; PM2 tanto; SPY27 Para3; S45V PM2 sprint; Rex45 Native Chief sprint. IN DREAMS: V4E Military2 stop-lock; 4V Native Chief; Slysz Swayback; C27 serrated Jess Horn; Vanax Massad Ayoob (SE) sprint; LC200N Breeden Captain (recurve SE) sprint.

User avatar
gbelleh
Member
Posts: 4824
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:16 pm
Location: Kansas

Postby gbelleh » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:05 pm

It's been a while since I've been very active in the gun forums. But The High Road was usually my favorite place to visit for general gun discussion. There are some pretty nice brand specific forums too, depending on what you're into.
:D :spyder:

User avatar
JBE
Member
Posts: 1531
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Louisiana

Postby JBE » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:06 pm

A co-worker of mine frequents a forum called "The Gun Counter" and he speaks positively of it.

I have lurked there from time to time and my impression is that most of the members are pretty affable, however it does not appear to be a very high-traffic site.
Jason

User avatar
chuckd
Member
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:52 pm

Postby chuckd » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:00 pm

I have mostly stopped going to gunforums for that same reason. Snipershide can be good, but I did not spend too much time on it before coming here and bladeforums and leaving gun forums behind.
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990

User avatar
Revival
Member
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:54 am
Location: The 9th Island

Postby Revival » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:41 am

Sorry OP, I don't think a "friendly" gun forum exists. The closest thing to it in my experience was the S&W forum. Actually the EDC forums is not bad also. All these other forums consists of 1911 vs "plastic guns", 9mm vs 45 cal, CC cary vs open cary etc and there is always the "buy a glock" guy on every forum.

User avatar
Rwb1500
Member
Posts: 1139
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby Rwb1500 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:28 am

Sometimes I don't think gun forums should be friendly. Let me try to explain why.

Guns are exceptionally dangerous. Owning and carrying guns is exceptionally dangerous especially from a legal standpoint. I own and carry guns, don't get me wrong. The problem is that some people think owning/carrying/shooting guns is just a blimeig video game, you can screw around with, bend the rules, etc.

There's a lawyer on a gun forum I frequent who once said something to the effect of "The legal system is a big ****ing hammer waiting to crush gun owners for any and everything."

What he means is that gun owners are no longer seen as the good guys, look in the media, look at Zimmerman, etc. Every little thing is a invitation for criticism, or worse. That being said all gun owners must then act above bar. Of course not all do. The world is full of idiots and they have the right to keep and bear arms, like it or not. These people also have access to the internet.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that there are stupid people all around us, they just tend to get weeded out faster on gun forums, and I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.

Arguments on gun forums usually consist of two parties, a right one and a wrong one. The argument itself is important to note, because some have no real consequence on anything whatsoever. When it comes down to it it doesn't really matter if an Aimpoint or an Eotech is better. It's completely relative. People that get excited about arguments like that are idiots, because it's simply a matter of opinion.

There's another type of argument that goes on, I call this the uninformed and don't care argument." I use .22 lr for self defense because if you shoot someone it'll bounce around in their body and do lots of damage." ------ If you say something like this on a gun forum I think you should be corrected. I won't even get started on how bad of an idea it is to carry .22 and think it's a viable caliber for defense, let's just talk about bullets bouncing around your body. Ever seen how a bullet flies? Ever see one pass through ballistic media?

There are completely accurate resources out there and people still wanna believe what their granddaddy told them, or they heard in a gunstore. This leads to constant bickering on forums too.


People are passionate about guns, so there will always be arguments. Guns are a very serious thing,, so there will always be arguments. Be well informed, and well read.
dbcad wrote:Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

Enjoy your edges folks:)

User avatar
wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 2909
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am
Location: New Hampshire

Postby wrdwrght » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:39 am

Rwb1500 wrote:Sometimes I don't think gun forums should be friendly. Let me try to explain why.

Guns are exceptionally dangerous. Owning and carrying guns is exceptionally dangerous especially from a legal standpoint. I own and carry guns, don't get me wrong. The problem is that some people think owning/carrying/shooting guns is just a blimeig video game, you can screw around with, bend the rules, etc.

There's a lawyer on a gun forum I frequent who once said something to the effect of "The legal system is a big ****ing hammer waiting to crush gun owners for any and everything."

What he means is that gun owners are no longer seen as the good guys, look in the media, look at Zimmerman, etc. Every little thing is a invitation for criticism, or worse. That being said all gun owners must then act above bar. Of course not all do. The world is full of idiots and they have the right to keep and bear arms, like it or not. These people also have access to the internet.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that there are stupid people all around us, they just tend to get weeded out faster on gun forums, and I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.

Arguments on gun forums usually consist of two parties, a right one and a wrong one. The argument itself is important to note, because some have no real consequence on anything whatsoever. When it comes down to it it doesn't really matter if an Aimpoint or an Eotech is better. It's completely relative. People that get excited about arguments like that are idiots, because it's simply a matter of opinion.

There's another type of argument that goes on, I call this the uninformed and don't care argument." I use .22 lr for self defense because if you shoot someone it'll bounce around in their body and do lots of damage." ------ If you say something like this on a gun forum I think you should be corrected. I won't even get started on how bad of an idea it is to carry .22 and think it's a viable caliber for defense, let's just talk about bullets bouncing around your body. Ever seen how a bullet flies? Ever see one pass through ballistic media?

There are completely accurate resources out there and people still wanna believe what their granddaddy told them, or they heard in a gunstore. This leads to constant bickering on forums too.


People are passionate about guns, so there will always be arguments. Guns are a very serious thing,, so there will always be arguments. Be well informed, and well read.
Excellent and insightful points (no wonder I agree :rolleyes :) . And, so, I'm pretty sure if you'd put this on a gun forum, the fur would fly...
Marc <— a mere data-point

RECENT ARRIVAL: Maxamet PM2. ON RADAR: Lil’ Native slipjoint; Siren; PM2 tanto; SPY27 Para3; S45V PM2 sprint; Rex45 Native Chief sprint. IN DREAMS: V4E Military2 stop-lock; 4V Native Chief; Slysz Swayback; C27 serrated Jess Horn; Vanax Massad Ayoob (SE) sprint; LC200N Breeden Captain (recurve SE) sprint.

RanCoWeAla
Member
Posts: 1041
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:15 am
Location: 36280

Postby RanCoWeAla » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:30 pm

We have a very good gun thread on the case forum.

User avatar
Revival
Member
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:54 am
Location: The 9th Island

Postby Revival » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:38 pm

RanCoWeAla wrote:We have a very good gun thread on the case forum.
What is the case forum?

User avatar
PanChango
Member
Posts: 492
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:43 am
Location: Pennsylvania USA

Postby PanChango » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:45 pm

Gunslinger wrote:I have been going to a gun forum that will remain unnamed because of shiny footprints and it's full of D-bags. Every innocent comment gets some know it all telling you how your wrong, and the brand bashing never stops. So, I'm hoping there's a decent gun forum where everyone gets along.

I guess I'm spoiled by Spyderco forums because this place has the coolest people on it. Everyone seems to get along for the most part, and the troublemakers don't stick around for long. Not to mention it's based around the coolest company.
What kind of shooting interests you? pistol, rifle, shotgun, etc?

I am primarily a shotgunner and spend a good amount of time at shotgunworld. IMO, it is a pretty friendly place.

User avatar
Donut
Member
Posts: 9304
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Postby Donut » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:09 pm

Is there gun talk on USN? That's a very friendly forum, but I don't know how much they get into that stuff.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!

User avatar
Gunslinger
Member
Posts: 867
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:45 am
Location: Missouri USA Earth
Contact:

Postby Gunslinger » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:26 pm

So far I like the THR forum, which is where I found a post warning people about Spyderco, lol. I'm trying to get on USN but I need a non Gmail email address. I'm not sure what that means. Can someone clarify.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheRaven
Member
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:42 pm
Location: Long Island

Postby TheRaven » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:04 am

Gunslinger wrote:I have been going to a gun forum that will remain unnamed because of shiny footprints and it's full of D-bags. Every innocent comment gets some know it all telling you how your wrong, and the brand bashing never stops. So, I'm hoping there's a decent gun forum where everyone gets along.

I guess I'm spoiled by Spyderco forums because this place has the coolest people on it. Everyone seems to get along for the most part, and the troublemakers don't stick around for long. Not to mention it's based around the coolest company.
Sadly, there are D-bags and 12-year-old armchair commandos on most of the forums. That said...

Of the various gun forums I've tried, 1911forum.com is my favorite. The forum has very heavy traffic (20,000 active members and 120,000 total members or something like that), and a lot of very knowledgeable people, so it's a great place for info. There are some D-bags and armchair commandos; I generally throw them on my ignore list.

UpDok
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: USA

Postby UpDok » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:53 am

TheRaven wrote:Sadly, there are D-bags and 12-year-old armchair commandos on most of the forums. That said...

Of the various gun forums I've tried, 1911forum.com is my favorite. The forum has very heavy traffic (20,000 active members and 120,000 total members or something like that), and a lot of very knowledgeable people, so it's a great place for info. There are some D-bags and armchair commandos; I generally throw them on my ignore list.
I agree about 1911forum.com being a good friendly forum. I also like The Original CZ forum (http://www.czfirearms.us), HKPRO Forum, and the Smith & Wesson Forum (smith-wessonforum.com). On any forum the moderators and the subject matter make a big difference, not just the posting members. If the Moderators turn out to be problematic people, or proponents of social anarchy, or just plain bullies, then their Forum will surely suffer.

On the other hand there are forums populated with tightly-wound tactical "operators' and professional commando types who simply cannot be bothered with anybody who doesn't sleep on a bed of nails or eat live rattlesnakes for breakfast. It's amazing how much mere mortals can learn however from merely "lurking" on such places while the tough guys (and gals) draw blood on each other and sometimes offer good advice. :eek:
[LEFT]“Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.” Isaiah 45:22 KJV [/LEFT]

enduraguy
Member
Posts: 683
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:38 pm

Postby enduraguy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:09 am

I like defensive carry forums pretty well.

RanCoWeAla
Member
Posts: 1041
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:15 am
Location: 36280

Postby RanCoWeAla » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:38 pm

Revival wrote:What is the case forum?
The Case knife forum. That's where I spend the rest of my time when I'm not on here. It's $15 for a year or $150 for lifetime membership and besides being an excellent forum you can buy sell and trade Case knives on there. I have even seen Spydercos in the Other knives we like thread.

User avatar
Officer Gigglez
Member
Posts: 801
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Postby Officer Gigglez » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:56 pm

Good luck finding one of those
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience

User avatar
Officer Gigglez
Member
Posts: 801
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Postby Officer Gigglez » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:57 pm

RanCoWeAla wrote:The Case knife forum. That's where I spend the rest of my time when I'm not on here. It's $15 for a year or $150 for lifetime membership and besides being an excellent forum you can buy sell and trade Case knives on there. I have even seen Spydercos in the Other knives we like thread.
Paying to be a part of a forum? Er... to each their own I suppose
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience

RanCoWeAla
Member
Posts: 1041
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:15 am
Location: 36280

Postby RanCoWeAla » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:10 pm

I wouldn't care if Spyderco charged $15 for a membership if you could buy, sell and trade Spyderco knives on here.


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests