Does Spyderco Serrate Plain Edges?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
enduraguy

Does Spyderco Serrate Plain Edges?

Post by enduraguy »

Just curious.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Nope. Would be nice though. I have several models I would send in to have serrated. In fact I would likely end up buying 2 of all my favorite knives just to get a SE variant. I would LOVE to have a SE Yojimbo 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What do you think the reason is that they wont do this? Is it because it would be too difficult and too chaotic to have all these people sending their knives back in to be serrated, for a small fee of some sort?
JD Spydo

Not enough demand at this time

Post by JD Spydo »

I wish that were possible. There are 3 Spyderco fixed blades I would love to have in full SE.

I would also have the discontinued model Superhawk which is a plain edged Hawkbill done in full Spyderedge too.

I have suggested in the past that Spyderco should at least offer to have any of their models available in full Spyderedge on a special order basis and putting up most or all of the money up front. But to my disappointment the suggestion was not met with any enthusiasm.

Maybe someday the demand will make special order Spyderedges available. But at this present time I just don't think there is enough demand unfortunately
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Yea and I kind of wish I'd kept the F/S Military I had a few years ago.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:What do you think the reason is that they wont do this? Is it because it would be too difficult and too chaotic to have all these people sending their knives back in to be serrated, for a small fee of some sort?
Could be. Spyderco's Golden shop is fairly small and very busy. Assigning someone to serrate customer's knives would mean taking them away from producing new knives. It could also be that, even before the serrations are cut, the blades that get serrated are ground differently to the ones that will be finish ground as plain edge.

OTOH, a while back Sal mentioned/recommended a company named Willey Knives that does after-market serrations. The OP, or anyone else who really wants to have a knife serrated, might want to contact them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Holland

Post by Holland »

It would be a cool service for spyderco to offer, and maybe it will be in the future, who knows. I would definitely buy another gayle bradley and get it serrated just to see how M4 performs
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

So im leaning towards going with Willey knives for getting my Military serrated. Sales manager just emailed me back and unless he made a typo (waiting to hear back) its FOUR DOLLARS to serrate a blade and they do "Spyderco style" separations. Apparently Spyderco recommends them. If this price is anywhere near correct ill happily take one for the team.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd guess it's either $4 per serration, or per group (2 small 1 large) of serrations, or per inch of serrations.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

The Deacon wrote:I'd guess it's either $4 per serration, or per group (2 small 1 large) of serrations, or per inch of serrations.
That seems more logical and even so is a bargain. Keep ya folks posted.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah definitely get back to us with pics if you do. I was pretty late to finding a use/love for SE, but now that I have the well has dried up.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

This makes me wonder if Willey Knives regrinds the back side thinner. The SE portions of factory Spyies are chisel ground as many know. This could be accomplished by regrinding the back side to an almost zero grind before serrating. Is this right or just in my head?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Will be interesting to see how its done. Im also intrigued being that the Military is FFG. Oh and its $4 per 1.75" of serrations. Not bad at all.