Household Oil

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Kweb

Household Oil

Post by Kweb »

Can standard oil, like Liquid Wrench, be used on knives with KBS and IKBS or will it gunk up the bearings. I use this oil on all my washer style blades and have never had any problems.
My :spyder:'s : Sage 1, Native 4, Cricket, Dragonfly 2, Tenacious, Persistence Blue, Jason Breeden Rescue, Cat, Delica 4 Grey FFG, Renegade, CF Dodo, Orange Endura 4 FFG, Lum Chinese Folder
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Not sure on Liquid Wrench. The main oils which are discouraged are vegetable based (or I guess animal ;) ) which will go rancid over time. I use mineral oil as a cheap food-safe alternative. Synthetics are better lubricants and corrosion preventatives.

Really, with too much of any oil your tendency to attract dirt goes up. It doesn't bug me though, I just re-oil frequently and rinse out the dirt with it.
Kweb

Post by Kweb »

I'll try that, thanks a lot
My :spyder:'s : Sage 1, Native 4, Cricket, Dragonfly 2, Tenacious, Persistence Blue, Jason Breeden Rescue, Cat, Delica 4 Grey FFG, Renegade, CF Dodo, Orange Endura 4 FFG, Lum Chinese Folder
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Sorry. Reading this again I realized you were talking about the bearing knives (even though you clearly stated it) :(

Same advice but I would use less oil and blow the excess out; I use a can of compressed air. Low viscosity synthetics would be preferable but mineral oil is always a safe bet.