Chisel Grind?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mike9x19

Chisel Grind?

Post by Mike9x19 »

[ATTACH]23220[/ATTACH]
I usually avoid chisel grind blades because I perceived them as being hard to sharpen. Today I was doing a key mod on my leatherman micra (it now holds a copy of my house and car key!). Before I did the mod, I hit the micra on the Sharpmaker. I typically carry a deticated main blade, so I only use the micra for borderline abusive cutting tasks. The blade was pretty dull, but I was able to bring it back to shaving sharp really fast using the techniques that Sal suggested in the Sharpmaker DVD.

Here is my question, does spyderco offer any chisel ground blades? The experience today with sharpening my chisel grind blades totally opened it up to me as an option.
Attachments
image.jpg
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

They don't, I don't like them because they cut sideways (I use serrated knives at work a lot, and they're chisel ground), but that's a cool mod! What did you use to loosen the handle screws?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Mike9x19

Post by Mike9x19 »

I hit the screws with a heat gun for about 30 seconds to loosen up the thread lock compound, then just used two other leatherman pliars to unscrew it. I held one side in place and turned the other. I then clamped the tweezers to the key with some locking pliars and used a bench grinder and Dremel tool to shape the key into the design of the micra tools. Finally, I just drilled a hole in the key, again using the tweezers as a guide and reassembled.

The leatherman line of tools are pretty easy to work on if you are into modding tools. Leatherman and Spyderco make up my EDC gear almost everyday!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The serrated knives are partial-chisel (secondary bevel) as it's required for the way they grind the edge. Otherwise my understanding is Spyderco does not grind chisel edges for performance sake.

Most makers who do chisel edges argue initial sharpness and/or or ease of sharpening. Really, the main advantage is less grinding.
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

thats really cool! how did you get your key on the micra?
i've a squirt PS4 and really want to have a copy of my key on the Squirt!
the squirt unfortunately not feature screws
aogami super blue dragonfly!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've had a few chisel grinds that I could live with but I really dislike the way they wander to the side when slicing deep material. The way I sharpen them (also the way I sharpen my FFG serrated knives) is to sharpen the ground side as normal, but then lay the back side that isn't ground flat on a stone and hone the entire side of the blade. It makes for a rough looking back side of the blade, but I kind of like the character it adds, and it does seem quite easy to sharpen them this way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have never understood why anyone would put a chisel ground blade on a pocket knife. That's the only thing I have against Emerson Knives and if it wasn't for that Emerson's might be my favorite knives over Spyderco. I also think if it wasn't for the chisel ground blade that Emerson would outsell everything out there just another reason I can't figure it out.
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I have Emersons with the chisel grind and I've never had a single problem. Very easy to sharpen and they can be incredibly sharp.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!