The more I look at the new 2015 mustang the more i....................

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Knivesinedc

The more I look at the new 2015 mustang the more i....................

Post by Knivesinedc »

HATE IT!!!!! :mad: !!!!!!!!!! This is the ugliest, least American car i have ever seen!!! I am very irritated by how they have changed a True iconic American muscle car into a piece of German-Italian looking piece of crap. I'm sorry but that's how i feel. Ford has ruined the mustang and that's that. Finally decided to vent on something very important to me.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Knivesinedc wrote:HATE IT!!!!! :mad: !!!!!!!!!! This is the ugliest, least American car i have ever seen!!! I am very irritated by how they have changed a True iconic American muscle car into a piece of German-Italian looking piece of crap. I'm sorry but that's how i feel. Ford has ruined the mustang and that's that. Finally decided to vent on something very important to me.
Don't hold back, just say what you feeling :D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Knivesinedc wrote:HATE IT!!!!! :mad: !!!!!!!!!! This is the ugliest, least American car i have ever seen!!! I am very irritated by how they have changed a True iconic American muscle car into a piece of German-Italian looking piece of crap. I'm sorry but that's how i feel. Ford has ruined the mustang and that's that. Finally decided to vent on something very important to me.
How do you define "American car" or "muscle car"? Traction control, turbo four cylinders, IRS, fuel injection, lack of pushrods, all American parts and/or built in the USA?

Starting in 2005 Ford went back to their roots with the Mustang taking design cues from Lee Iacocca's original design. This redesign is clearly moving further along the lineage into the late 60's and early 70's. I think it retains the standard pony car silhouette (too much hood, not enough back-seat).

In fact, probably the most blasphemous thing it's done on a commercial scale was get rid of the solid-rear axle for a modified IRS which was only available on the Cobra starting in 1999 and terminating in 2004. Frankly though, since it's a 2015 model I gladly welcome the change along with the 2.3 ecoboost as the eventual base engine. It will be a 21st century version of the Mustang SVO. :D

I totally understand that aesthetics are a personal thing. You are welcome to your opinion and I think many will share it. Given Ford's track record lately I think more will adore this remodel and it will be a much better driving car.

PS: I really think it looks more like a 370z than something European. Unless you count the Fusion influence which clearly was "inspired" by Aston Martin. :rolleyes:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Dang bro, I couldn't feel more different. As much as I love the good old days, they are the past and nothing can be allowed to become stagnant or it won't last, and change is the one thing that has allowed the Mustang to endure 50 years of production. Looks aside, this is hands down the most brutal performing badass GT model Mustang ever produced. It mops the floor with the likes of the '03-04 Cobra and '00 Cobra R, and it does it while giving a better ride and better fuel economy. I don't really see what's not to love about it.

And for the record, this is coming from a diehard Fox body lover. I currently have an '85 coupe in my garage. It's sad to think that even with my nasty 347 under the hood, the only thing keeping me competitive with this new bone stock 5.0 is the fact that my car is gutted with zero creature comforts and only weighs 2800lbs. That, plus I get maybe 10mpg, no AC, no heat, no stereo, and the cam will shake your fillings loose at stop lights. While all that rowdy stuff is entertaining, my engine is pushed just about to the max of what the factory block will hold without splitting in half, while the new Coyote guys can throw a blower on their 5.0 and make 600hp like nothing and then eat me alive, all while having AC/heat/awesome stereo/sound deadening/plush ride/etc. Times are changing, and if the muscle car is going to stick around, it has to change with it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think nostalgia is a psychedelic drug. It makes you remember everything in the best way with none of the negatives.

Old muscle cars in their prime could hardly idle let alone corner or stop safely. Most big blocks were lucky to break 105mph in the quarter and the fabled Hemi's/Yenkos really didn't exist on the street. Plus, magazines constantly were given "hot" cars from the factory so performance figures were pretty much up in the air. That doesn't even count some of the unsubstantiated "talk" from the tuners leaving more speed mythos than tangible records.

I adore old cars. However, with the exception of the emission strangled 70's, performance has skyrocketed over the years along with reliability and economy. The style of the old era is undeniable though. Crash test regulations has ruined classy bumpers and thanks to C.A.F.E. the EPA has ruined some fantastic line-work. :(
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Alright, I think you all have good points, but we all have different opinions and I just feel like the change from the 2013-2014 Mustang was so drastic it just made my mind revoke the look and wanna puke it into my soul, which in turn flared my displeasure with the car (descriptive words :D ). I do agree that it looks like it has some Aston Martin in it's pedigree now. I just feel like its more of a super car than a muscle car, and if given a choice I would go for the 2013 Boss 302 anyday, not thinking of fuel economy.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Agreed. Looks like a rice burner. And I already don't like Mustangs.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

I had not looked up pictures until reading this thread and yeah, it's pretty dramatic. The funny thing is that if it didn't have the Mustang name, it wouldn't be quite as provocative. I think it looks pretty cool, but it doesn't look like a "Mustang" which is weird.
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
deep6

Post by deep6 »

They had to do it to keep it in production, chassis is getting old and the handling is inferior to the newer Camaro (driven one, and I own a 07' GT.) The Mustang is getting heavily outsold by the Camaro also. I know the later model Stang's are superior to mine, but they have chosen a design that can compete on the world market and were not optimistic about the current design against it's competition.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I don't know why you would want to discredit anything that looks German....since the Germans made the best cars ever.
On the hunt for...
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

:eek: It's only got half a motor.
It is a chik ride.
O.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Oh good God it's fricking hideous. Looks like an Aston Martin took advantage of a real Ford Mustang and that poor baby is going to technically be born in 2015.

Who was the idiot at Ford who designed that abomination? This is going to be a bigger disaster than when Ford re-designed the first Taurus sedan model. If some so-called professional designer came to me with that ugly design, not only would I fire his butt but I'd physically throw him out of my office. My 5 year-old nephew could come up with a better-looking design.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

deep6 wrote:They had to do it to keep it in production, chassis is getting old and the handling is inferior to the newer Camaro (driven one, and I own a 07' GT.) The Mustang is getting heavily outsold by the Camaro also. I know the later model Stang's are superior to mine, but they have chosen a design that can compete on the world market and were not optimistic about the current design against it's competition.
It's an image car. The Mustang has recently lost an edge to the Camaro in annual sales but to the tune of like 5,000 units or 8%. Compare this to the full-size truck market which is what makes Ford and Chevy their money and it's laughable. They are selling about 70,000 F-150's a month.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Blake is pretty much right about the late 60's and early 70's and the muscle cars. Though I'm still in love with old MOPAR muscle to see a 440 charger, or even hemi Charger, cuda or challenger sitting and spinning those narrow tires, or worse yet trying to corner was sort of embarrassing. First they dive, then lean, then begin cornering.

Sitting in an old big block muscle car was trying too. The floorboards were smoking hot and almost burning your feet. With the window open , or next to them the high octane fumes would make your eyes burn from heat and exhaust fumes. Sitting at a stop light it sure felt nice especially when the light turned green. Nothing like getting pushed back in your seat and making all that noise.

They were definitely cop magnets. If you were young and in one you got pulled over even when doing the speed limit.

I suppose that hasn't changed much though. I've driven a few of the newer ones including the Mustang and the new/old Camaro. Much, much quicker than the old ones just from the traction of those huge 18-20 inch tires and lower weight. The old cars were scary because they were difficult to drive safe. The new ones can be driven fast much, much easier. Even safely if you aren't an idiot. The new ones are most definitely faster than even the old classics.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Okay, not really a "car guy" (as in I've been driving my same reliable Jetta for 12 years now ;) which is essentially the same car I had previously when the guy crashed into me 12 years ago...) but I had to go see what all the fury was about...

Wow... From all the discussion, I expected to either LOVE it or HATE it... But overall, I'm kinda "meh" ;) It's okay. Doesn't make me have to have one. OTOH it's "okay".

But I don't get the angst... Maybe once I see one in person...

Ken
玉鋼
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I don't know why you would want to discredit anything that looks German....since the Germans made the best cars ever.
+1 Das Auto
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I don't know why you would want to discredit anything that looks German....since the Germans made the best cars ever.
Guess that depends on your idea of "best" and the era(s) you include. The Germans have made some fine cars over the years, and I've owned a couple of them. But Duesenberg , Hispano-Suiza, Rolls-Royce, and Bugatti would be the marques I'd be trying to decide between for the "best ever" title.

As for the Mustang, I'm fairly sure the whole "muscle car" thing hadn't really started yet in '64. At least not the idea of stuffing big block V-8 engines into what were considered "compact" cars. I believe Ford originally designed the Mustang as a "sporty" looking yet "sensible" economy car aimed at young marrieds who found the Falcon, with which it shared a lot of parts, frumpy looking.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

If anyone is curious what it looks like and doesn't feel like googling

Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Definitely has the Mustang look, so I'm not sure why it would offend anyone who likes that look, or excite anyone who has never found it exciting before. As for me, I've never been crazy about fastbacks, Mustang or otherwise, but I sure wouldn't turn down a 2015 Mustang convertible if someone handed me the pink slip. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I agree. You can definitely see the Mustang heritage in its lines. But it does also bear a vague resemblance to some recent Ferraris (e.g., 550, Cali). I think it is pretty nice looking, though.

Am I going to buy one? Not a snowball's chance in heck... :rolleyes:

TedP