The more I look at the new 2015 mustang the more i....................

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You guys saying it doesn't look like a Mustang are cracking me up. Have you not seen the '13 model? This car is like a slightly more smoothed and aerodynamic version of the '13, which is just a more aerodynamic version of the '05, which is where the whole retro style came from. This new car looks so much like it could be a futuristic version of a '69 fastback, you'd have to be blind to not know it looks like a Mustang. It's still loaded with retro styling.

'05

2010, which to me looks even more retro than the '05. I always thought the '05 was too sedate looking and way too vanilla. It was a car full of "styling cues" but had no real identity of its own. The '10 styling change had more attitude and looked more aggressive. The Mustang has always had that "pissed off" look, and the '05 never had that, so the '10 to me was a huge improvement.

Now, the '15, I will say I feel they went way overboard with the front end and those giant scoops, though I do like it, I feel it's a bit too outgoing for a "base model" front end. Something that outgoing should be a Cobra front end or something like that, and it was too much of a leap forward from the '10 front end. The rest though, if you can't see how it's a natural progression from the previous models, you need your eyes checked.

Now, lets look at a '69 GT. Obviously it's not going to look just like a '69, and it shouldn't, it's 45 years newer, but if you look at the '69 and then look at what they did with the '05 and look at each year progression, there is still a lot of '69 in the new '15. There's a few things I don't like and a few things I would have done differently, but overall I'm impressed with how fresh and modern this new car looks, while somehow still having so much retro styling to it and keeping that pony car style. Just wait till Ford throws some big fog lights in the grill, which you know they or the aftermarket will do, and it'll be even more retro looking.

The one thing I think they really screwed up on, was doing away with the B pillar that made reference to the '65/Shelby quarter glass. That gives the whole side window area one big opening, which I think really throws you off from what you're used to seeing in the previous models and is a big part of the Mustang styling. I think that's one of the big reasons people keep comparing this car to Aston Martin (aside from the obvious grill shape similarity).

LOL, sorry to go off on a tangent. Mustangs are one of the few things I'm even more passionate about than my knives :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
deep6

Post by deep6 »

I think the 15' looks pretty cool, I also believe they will still offer a V8 in the GT of around 400 hp +. Maybe I'm wrong? My next dream purchase would still be one of the Shelby's of the last few years no matter what.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Nope! Ford went too far with the styling this time around. Far more Aston Martin than Mustang.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

deep6 wrote:I think the 15' looks pretty cool, I also believe they will still offer a V8 in the GT of around 400 hp +. Maybe I'm wrong? My next dream purchase would still be one of the Shelby's of the last few years no matter what.
Yea with weight reduction, better balance, and a more competent chassis. I'm confident it will be a more capable car given the nature of things.

It's an aesthetic coin-toss and always is. Generally though model changes spur more shoppers or they wouldn't change them ever 3-5 years.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

deep6 wrote:I think the 15' looks pretty cool, I also believe they will still offer a V8 in the GT of around 400 hp +. Maybe I'm wrong? My next dream purchase would still be one of the Shelby's of the last few years no matter what.
Yep, the 5.0 is sticking around as the GT engine, rated in '13 at I believe 412hp, not sure if that's getting a slight bump or not. The base model engine will be the Ecoboost 4 cylinder, making a bit over 300hp and getting mid 30s mpg.

I've also heard the weight reduction talk is all rumor.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
angusW

Post by angusW »

I like the 2015 a lot. The 80's were the years Ford made a mess of the Mustang even though I owned one and loved it back then but they sure weren't too good looking. Ford made a comeback in the mid 90's and are still looking good up until today.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
_centurio_

Post by _centurio_ »

I couldn't afford any of these cars so I don't care lol :-) But to be honest, the older models have way more spirit ;)
Holland

Post by Holland »

Definitely in 100% agreement. The new look ruined its tradition as far as im concerned
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

_centurio_ wrote:I couldn't afford any of these cars so I don't care lol :-) But to be honest, the older models have way more spirit ;)
But that could be said for a lot of cars. As far as styling goes, among Ford products, the Mustang peaked in '65, while the T-Bird and Lincoln Continental peaked in '56. There's never been a better looking Camaro than the original '67 version, heck the newest ones look more like a Mustang than a Camaro, or a better looking Corvette than the '56.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Deacon wrote:But that could be said for a lot of cars. As far as styling goes, among Ford products, the Mustang peaked in '65, while the T-Bird and Lincoln Continental peaked in '56. There's never been a better looking Camaro than the original '67 version, heck the newest ones look more like a Mustang than a Camaro, or a better looking Corvette than the '56.
Amen, brother! I've always thought the same thing.

My dad had two Camaros ('69 and '72). IIRC, the '69 was purchased brand-new off of the lot. Had the four speed manual transmission and hugger stripes. I've seen pictures of him standing by it (wearing bell bottom jeans and hippie hair :D ). Sadly, he sold those babies long before I was even a twinkle in his eye. :(
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
dialex

Post by dialex »

Monocrom wrote:...Looks like an Aston Martin took advantage of a real Ford Mustang...
My thoughts exactly. It has the face of an Aston Martin (shaken, not stirred) ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.