Axe Recommendation?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Janfrederik

Axe Recommendation?

Post by Janfrederik »

I'm looking to get an axe for my girlfriend's father. He chops wood everyday. Mostly splitting logs and the like.

I don't really know much about axes, but I've been looking at the Gransfors-Bruks Large Splitting Axe. Any help or recommendations would be nice. Thank you!
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Fiskars x27. Hands down
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Janfrederik wrote:I'm looking to get an axe for my girlfriend's father. He chops wood everyday. Mostly splitting logs and the like.

I don't really know much about axes, but I've been looking at the Gransfors-Bruks Large Splitting Axe. Any help or recommendations would be nice. Thank you!
You can't go wrong with a "Granfors Bruks axe. From what I've been told by guys who really know their axes that Granfors-Bruks is truly a very well made tool. There is a sub-forum over at bladeforums.com that talks about axes and edged striking tools and any of those guys can give you great recommendations on an axe purchase. There is one USA company that I've personally had great luck with all of their tools that I've used in the past. I'm speaking of the "ESTWING" company who makes everything from carpenter's hammers to hatchets. They make a wide range of quality striking tools and I've never owned an ESTWING product that I wasn't highly satisfied with.

There is also a company out of New Zealand that is known for making superior quality axes and striking tools but I can't think of their name off the top of my head. But you certainly can't go wrong with Granfors-Bruks or Estwing. Let us know what you decide on.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

I split a lot of wood around here by hand since we only burn wood. And if splitting big rounds is what he's doing mostly, then something with the profile of the GB splitting axe would be the correct tool. Around here they call them "mauls, or some times "Go Devils."

If he desires to continue processing the wood smaller for kindling say, the maul is a bit large for that. I use an axe that's probably from the 60's, straight handled, pretty narrow geometry,but not so that it lodges itself in the wood instead of splitting it.

I own mostly vintage axes, but the one new american made axe I've bought is made by Council. It was a "boys axe." I was impressed at the quality at the price range it was sold at. The heat treat seemed spot on for an axe.
Military // PM 2 // Endura // Delica // Stretch // SE Tasman // SE Hawkbill Ladybug
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

ginsuwarrior wrote:I split a lot of wood around here by hand since we only burn wood. And if splitting big rounds is what he's doing mostly, then something with the profile of the GB splitting axe would be the correct tool. Around here they call them "mauls, or some times "Go Devils."

If he desires to continue processing the wood smaller for kindling say, the maul is a bit large for that. I use an axe that's probably from the 60's, straight handled, pretty narrow geometry,but not so that it lodges itself in the wood instead of splitting it.

I own mostly vintage axes, but the one new american made axe I've bought is made by Council. It was a "boys axe." I was impressed at the quality at the price range it was sold at. The heat treat seemed spot on for an axe.
+1 for the splitting maul. We used to break fiberglass handles like once a season on these things. After a few of those we moved to a 12lb. splitter with a steel handle. That was 2 decades ago and it is still in use by my father. The weight will make a man out of you and can be a workout on the back, but the added mass along with good ol gravity caan make splitting easier.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

Thank you all. I'm pretty set on the GB splitting maul. He mostly works on large rounds for firewood.
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

I went with the Splitting Maul.

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

That's a beauty :) !
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

It really is. Made by Anders Magnusson, as you can see stamped on the head.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Nice!! Should get the job done!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

TRy this video https://youtu.be/Xq5vpqHug7s

There are some good comparisons on youtube.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

Lovely axe! I would have suggested, had price been an issue, that you look at whatever Wetterlings had to offer in mauls/axes. But since you went large, GB is the best!
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Janfrederik wrote:I went with the Splitting Maul.

That is one good-looking, quality tool.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
JD Spydo

Collins axes & mauls> Information Book from US Forest Service

Post by JD Spydo »

There is another older USA company that I would also like to mention when talking of high quality axes and striking tools. The Collins Axe Company is no longer making USA made axes unless you get into their high up, competition line. But if you can find one of their older USA made axes they are hard to beat. I have splitt many cords of firewood with my 6 lb & 8 lb Collins mauls. Collins makes the best splitting maul that I have ever used>> now I've not gotten to use one of Granfors Bruks splitting mauls and I have heard that their quality is truly superior in every tool they make.

The US Forest Service has a free publication that they give away that is a gold mine of information on axes. That booklet and video are called "An Ax To Grind". I got the originals about 10 years ago and I've yet to find any other information source that has more to offer than "An Ax To Grind". The guy that did that book and video was on the Spyderco forum at one time but I haven't seen him here in a long time.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

JD Spydo wrote:You can't go wrong with a "Granfors Bruks axe.
Completely agree. I have two of them. A long double bit and a short broad axe. Best axes I've ever used.
Janfrederik wrote:I went with the Splitting Maul.
Excellent choice!

Ken
玉鋼
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Iltis Ox-head axes are beautiful tools. The axe head actually rings when you are chopping rather than just making a dull thud (the sign of a quality forged head). Lee Valley Tools sells the splitting axe for $94.
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Janfrederik wrote:I'm looking to get an axe for my girlfriend's father. He chops wood everyday. Mostly splitting logs and the like.

Fiskars makes good stuff.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Officer Gigglez wrote:Fiskars makes good stuff.
.... If you want an inexpensive axe that you use only occasionally. For heavy-use, their axes fall short.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Monocrom wrote:.... If you want an inexpensive axe that you use only occasionally. For heavy-use, their axes fall short.
Well, I can't argue, as I have not put it through heavy work yet, so I'll take your word for it.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Officer Gigglez wrote:Well, I can't argue, as I have not put it through heavy work yet, so I'll take your word for it.
Honestly, I realize that for the average person; the axes put out by Fiskars are fine for the job.