Stranded on a deserted island! Only 1 spyderco knife to choose from!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

mark greenman wrote:Well since the rules only said one Spyderco ;)

-Rock Salt
-GearWallet Model 1 (prototype I'm working on)
-Waterproof Field Lighter
-Vic Farmer
-Lansky Fold a Vee (designed by Sal)

LOL ... Okay, that's a really good choice. :D
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Deacon, hypothetical is just that, hypothetical. It doesn't matter how realistic the situation is. Sometimes it's just fun! Hypothetically speaking, what would you have done if you won the Mega Millions drawing? :D
JD Spydo

Temperance 1 fixed blade: Not sure of PE or SE??

Post by JD Spydo »

If I was stranded in a desolate situation whether it be desert, jungle or temperate rain forest or even just the great plains for that matter I would chose a fixed blade Spyder.

It would be my very favorite and trusted and much used FB05 Temperance 1 model. Although I would truly be torn between my plain edged and my Spyderedged versions as to which one that would serve me the best in a desperate situation.

But I would chose the FB05 Temp 1 model in one of the edge variants for sure. The more I read all my survival books and magazines they universally agree that a fixed blade would be much more ideal in a survival situation for many reasons.

Which is why I won't quit lobbying for an H-1, Salt Series version of the Temperance 1 model. To me that would be the absolute ultimate survival/outdoor knife.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Of the ones I have, a toss-up between my Bradley Folder and my M390 PM2 (probably the Bradley). But either one would complement my ESEE-6. :p
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

JD Spydo wrote:If I was stranded in a desolate situation whether it be desert, jungle or temperate rain forest or even just the great plains for that matter I would chose a fixed blade Spyder.

It would be my very favorite and trusted and much used FB05 Temperance 1 model. Although I would truly be torn between my plain edged and my Spyderedged versions as to which one that would serve me the best in a desperate situation.

But I would chose the FB05 Temp 1 model in one of the edge variants for sure. The more I read all my survival books and magazines they universally agree that a fixed blade would be much more ideal in a survival situation for many reasons.

Which is why I won't quit lobbying for an H-1, Salt Series version of the Temperance 1 model. To me that would be the absolute ultimate survival/outdoor knife.
Well I would think you would want a SE because it holds an edge longer and you'd want that since it could get through palm branches and stuff better but you'd have to find the perfect rock to sharpen it. Although PE would probably be easier to sharpen with a rock and be easier to prep your marlin and seagull dinner. Hmm i see your dilemma.........
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

JD Spydo wrote:Which is why I won't quit lobbying for an H-1, Salt Series version of the Temperance 1 model. To me that would be the absolute ultimate survival/outdoor knife.
Yes!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I'd choose the Bradley folder because it's one of my favorites and I could also use it for self defense. :)

Jack
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

P'kal, so I could incapacitate myself.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Chuck, who has recently been reminded by Typhoon Hianey what its like not to have the luxury of choices, has it right, I think.

Better to have the skills to find and fashion cutting implements, no?

But I'll play. I'd grab my ESEE 6, not a folder. Need to spine-whack and gently pry in a survival situation. There's a video somewhere on the Net showing an ESEE Junglas blade (1095 steel) in a vice springing back from having its tang pulled back 90 degrees (wish I'd had one in Vietnam). I don't know if the more refined Spyderco fixed blades could withstand this torture, and I don't really need to know. I came Spyderco for its folders.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I would go with my Spyderhawk Salt SE. If I had a Rock Salt or similar I might change my answer but my only spydie FBs are a K05, 2 MT-5s and a Swick 2. Dig them all but I think the big serrated rustproof blade would be excellent.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
dialex

Post by dialex »

That's an easy one: a Pacific Salt for me and a Rock Salt for Salma Hayek (I guess it is ok if there is another poor soul stranded on that not so deserted anymore island) :P
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
UpDok

Post by UpDok »

Well since I can hypothetically choose what knife to be stranded with, I will also choose my "desert" island: Long island, NY ;)

If stranded on Long Island I'll choose to have my Delica with me since it is discreet and unlikely to cause a ruckus among the sheep-like but cunning "natives" of the island. Of course I would also choose to have a my credit cards and Driver’s license with me as well as the Spyderco Delica.

In this condition would find the nearest rent-a-car agency and rent a sub-compact to save gas. I would then drive to the nearest fast food joint for a snack. Then I would get onto the Long Island Expressway and cruise on back home to Connecticut.
[LEFT]“Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.” Isaiah 45:22 KJV [/LEFT]
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

UpDok wrote:Well since I can hypothetically choose what knife to be stranded with, I will also choose my "desert" island: Long island, NY ;)
Long Island? No.... I'd have to choose Kauai ;) WAY hands down over Long Island.

Everything you need grows there. Even coffee. How much coffee grows on Long Island? Hmmmmm?

Ken
玉鋼
UpDok

Post by UpDok »

kbuzbee wrote:Long Island? No.... I'd have to choose Kauai ;) WAY hands down over Long Island.

Everything you need grows there. Even coffee. How much coffee grows on Long Island? Hmmmmm?

Ken
Coffee in Long Island?
Oh, you must mean "cawffee in Lawng Guyland".
Still if I was stranded in Long Island I'd like to have my knife (as well as a few credit cards and a car to get out of there).
[LEFT]“Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.” Isaiah 45:22 KJV [/LEFT]
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

UpDok wrote:Coffee in Long Island?
Oh, you must mean "cawffee in Lawng Guyland".
Still if I was stranded in Long Island I'd like to have my knife (as well as a few credit cards and a car to get out of there).
Anyone stranded in Long Island.... Guys, just PM me and I'll drive over a few miles and rescue you. :)
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Great question!

Based on my professional experience and training it would have to be a fixed blade Spyderco model.

I'd want all the strength and durability a well designed and made fixed blade, full tang knife offers under such circumstances.

Specific model? I'd want the Rock Salt. Multi dimensional functionality, lots of field and SD applications.

Again, great and fun question.
GW
paladin

Post by paladin »

for camping or when you might get yourself into a self-imposed "survival situation" a high carbon fixed blade would give you an edge with spark making if you didn't have a lighter...
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Postscript -

As for a currently available Spyderco model in this situation I'd go with Schemp Rock.

For its easier to maintain flat grind and sturdier edge due this this grind and its edge geometry.
GW
Divo

Post by Divo »

eric m. wrote:Pick one spyderco knife to be stranded on a desert island with! For me it would be my standard Military combo-edge.

On a desert Island you dont want a folder but a fixed blade. Something that is tuff, not brittle and can be sharpen with ease. That will be a high carbon steel.
Not too small but not too big either because you still need to be able to prepare food with it.
For this specific situation you can keep all your Spyderco's and I'll take an Esee 6 orso.

Sorry Spyderco makes nice knives and is especially good in (edc) folders, but in cases like this you dont go for a brand but the best tool for the situation.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Sheepfoot enuff H1 or aqua salt would be better, serrated of course.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE