Scotch, Bourbon + Whiskey in general

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Syncharmony

Scotch, Bourbon + Whiskey in general

Post by Syncharmony »

Who here enjoys themselves a nice glass of Scotch now and again? I found it quite enjoyable to put on some music, sip on some whiskey and sharpen some knives. It becomes meditative and relaxing.

For Scotch, my favorites are Lagavulin, Laphroaig and Balvanie. I also enjoy Talisker, Highland Park, Macallan, Ardberg, Glenmorangie and others. When out and at a bar, I usually fall back on some Johnnie Walker Black since bar prices on single malts are frankly stupid. Johnnie Black is also the Scotch that was my gateway into drinking scotch, so I have a soft spot in my heart. However, I think Johnnie Walker blue is super overpriced for a blend and not nearly as good as a fine single malt.

Of my favorites, I really enjoy the Lagavulin distiller's edition and classic 16 year. I tried the 12 year cask strength as well and that was very good. For Lahropaig, I really enjoyed the Triple Wood expression and the Cask Strength version. The 10 year is classic and the 18 year is amazing as well but pricey. Can't forget quarter cask! For Balvanie, I really enjoy the Double Wood and 14 year Caribbean cask editions. I have a bottle of the Port Wood I was given as a gift, but haven't found a suitable occasion to open it yet.

I'm less versed in Bourbon, Rye and Irish whiskeys, but I do enjoy Buffalo Trace bourbon, Elijah Craig, Knob Creek and Hudson's Baby Bourbon.

Anyone else enjoy a quality dram?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have always been more of a Bourbon drinker. I prefer Maker's Mark for Kentucky wiskey and Crown for Canadian. On occasion I enjoy some of the flavored blends when I am in the mood (Red Stag Black Cherry or Honey Tea). I like them with no ice and sometimes just a drop of water. When I used to smoke they paired well with a great CAO cigar.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I haven't drank for almost 14 years, but when I did I had a thing for Segrams 7 for some reason. I didn't drink to enjoy the taste though ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I like a lot of Scotches and Bourbons and also Jameson's. I used to drink bourbon every night when I was younger and got burned out on it but over time my taste for whiskey has rebounded somewhat.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I tend to like the American and Canadian whiskey to Scotch or Irish variants (I had to look up the spelling :p ). Although, I've gone through a couple bottles of Black Bottle which is a nice budget blend.

Lately I have really enjoyed rye over the neat, on the rocks or in manhattens and old fashions. Knob Creek, Bulleit, Rittenhouse (mainly for mixing) and Wild Turkey 101 rye. Sadly WT's sold out of the 101 for some time and has just been offering their 81 proof version. I haven't tried it but if the 101 rye reemerges I'll buy a case and bury it somewhere :D .
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Alberta Premium Rye Whiskey. One of the very few made with 100% rye grain. I vastly prefer the taste to corn based whiskeys like bourbon. I also enjoy Scotch a great deal...my go to is Johnny Walker Green Label.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Drank single malt whisky for a long time...got a little adventurous, moved to bourbons...got more adventurous and am drinking rye (not, with respect to our northern friends, Canadian rye)...they're all good...
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

My folks and BIL are all big scotch afi's. I can't stand it, only red wine for me. Dirty, earthy, old vine tempranillos, cabs, riojas...Any way, my contribution is that my BIL has discovered Japanese "scotch" whiskeys and says they are really awesome. Apparently the Japanese demand for scotch outweighed their allotment so they started making their own. I also saw there is an American whiskey Corsair (?) that is distilled from the grain quinoa and won several awards.
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

Any dark rums, lots of it & beer.....

:)
mikefromsac

Post by mikefromsac »

+1 on the Makers Mark. Very smooth for the price. Great on the rocks with ginger ale.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Islay malts, but rarely more than a bottle a year.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

wrdwrght wrote:Islay malts, but rarely more than a bottle a year.
Hair. On chest.
Jimbro

Post by Jimbro »

Balvenie Doublewood for single malt
Famous Grouse for blended scotch
Anyone of a number of bourbons

That being said, probably about a bottle a year in total, straight up no mixers.
damonh

Post by damonh »

Wait a minute! Did I start this thread? :D

I got into Scotch whisky a few years ago and I enjoy a wee pour nearly every night. My curse is that there are so many different whiskies to try, but I don't like the feeling of a buzz. If I want to compare a couple of whiskies head to head, I have to pour less than an oz of each. But I digress.

I was never really a drinker, but one night at dinner out of sheer curiousity I ordered a glass of JW Black. I was instead brought a glass of JW Red on the rocks. Best way I could describe it was that it tasted like a trip to the dentist's office. I almost swore off Scotch entirely that night.

I decided to give it a 2nd chance, so I bought an inexpensive bottle with attractive packaging at the local liquor market. Balvenie 10 Year Founder's Reserve. It was a totally different experience from that vile Red Label. This was the first Scotch I ever enjoyed and my gateway into the spirit. I've since moved on to the peatier stuff. Caol Ila 12 and Laphroaig 15 are a couple favorites. Other favorites include Lagavulin 16, Talisker 10, Highland Park 18, Glenlivet 16 and of course I've still got a soft spot for the Balvenie 10, which has since been discontinued.

I agree with the OP that JW Blue is over-hyped and overpriced, but I found a bottle for $120 and felt it was worth that to buy at least once. Black is a staple on my bar, but my favorite of their range is the now discontinued Green. The only bourbons I have are Blanton's, Van Winkle 12 Lot B, Woodford. I do like Basil Hayden and may add a bottle in the near future.

Here's a pic of my whisky cabinet taken several months ago, just for giggles. Not pictured are recently acquired bottles of Ardbeg Uigeadial, Lagavulin 16, Highland Park 18 and Aberlour 12 NCF. As you can see, I'm a little past just dabbling in Scotch. ;)

MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

Nice....can I come over....???

kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Syncharmony wrote:For Scotch, my favorites are ..Laphroaig ...
I'm less versed in Bourbon, Rye and Irish whiskeys, but I do enjoy Buffalo Trace bourbon,
Two of my favorites right there. Nothing can touch that peat monster. One small pour and you'll wake up with salt on your lips the next morning ;) Outstanding!

For special pours I have 5 bottles of Wild Turkey Tribute tucked away. Truly an amazing Bourbon. Best ever distilled, IMO. They were a one time offering to honor Jimmy Russell. Very limited. I scoured NE Ohio for every bottle I could find. There were 7. Now there are 5 ;)
MadRookie wrote:Any dark rums,
I enjoy the dark ones too but have you ever tried Oronoco? It's clear but very, very good.

Ken
玉鋼
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

Ken, no I have not, but would sincerely love to try.

The problem is the availability of the more "exotic" rums in South Africa....really non existent.

kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I get that.

If you ever get a chance...

Ken
玉鋼
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

Thanks for the heads up.

My daughter is a cabin crew controller for British Airways - she regularly brings me some rums from the international community - one of which is Myers, which is also good.

Will ask her to check for Oronoco.

FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Maker's Mark is my old standby. Perfectly happy with it, no need for anything more fancy. Mmmmm too bad it's 9 in the morning :eek: