Scotch, Bourbon + Whiskey in general

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

damonh wrote:
My curse is that there are so many different whiskies to try, but I don't like the feeling of a buzz. If I want to compare a couple of whiskies head to head, I have to pour less than an oz of each. But I digress.
I don't have that problem...I have to drink 3-4 oz inside of an hour to start feeling even the slightest buzz.
damonh wrote:
I agree with the OP that JW Blue is over-hyped and overpriced, but I found a bottle for $120 and felt it was worth that to buy at least once. Black is a staple on my bar, but my favorite of their range is the now discontinued Green.
Blue is about $250 a bottle normally, but we have absurdly high liquor tax here. I've never tried it but always wanted to. I like Gold, but it's pricier than I like to buy and I think Green tastes better anyways. You'll be pleased to know that Green Label is NOT discontinued. They pulled it out of North America in late 2007 (I'd just acquired a taste for it 6 months before), but they were selling it elsewhere in the meantime...I think the majority of it was bought by China for at least a few years. I was always able to find it in duty free stores though, and brought a 40oz bottle of it home with me ever time I came home from the US, but about a year ago it started popping up in liquor stores around here again. It is hard to find, but it's around and back in normal retail sales. As for other brands...I really enjoy Balvenie Doublewood, and several Bruichladdich varieties.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
KNaB

Post by KNaB »

When I am unfortunate enough to be denied a bottle of pappy, I have some others that do the job. Im a big fan of the Willets Pot still, Rowan's creek is another favorite. As far as whiskey, i really like The tyrconnell 10 year madeira cask.

If anyone is ever in Chicago, come on over.
GaryC

Post by GaryC »

Not a bourbon but Jack Daniels will do. Gary
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Am I the only fan of 1792, and Knob Creek?
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
springnr

Post by springnr »

Scotch, bourbon, even sipping rums, a snort to celebrate the week.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I can only really stand Bourbons- the general flavour profile I like: Irish and Scotch I've tried cheap to silly prices and can't find one I like.

Woodford Reserve is probably my favourite- a nice drop with a real ale on the side.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Blue Possum

Post by Blue Possum »

I don't usually like them straight up, but for christmas I received a gift of - Wild Turkey American Honey -. I have never liked Wild Turkey, but this one was smooth, and a great taste, not harsh, it is a lower proof, at 70% which probably explains it, but I drank it the rest of the day, straight up, very nice.
Blue Possum
derrelw

Post by derrelw »

I prefer Rye to Scotch or Bourbon. Mostly the small batch kinds like Templeton or High Noon straight up for me.
Xcellent

Post by Xcellent »

I started developing my taste for whiskey about 2 years ago when I was 18. My favourite now is by far the Aberlour A'Bunadh (batch 36) and the simple Glenlivet 12 year old single malt that started it all for me :) I've had more and better tasting ones, but there's just something about these 2 that just work for me.
GronK

Post by GronK »

FCM415 wrote:Maker's Mark is my old standby. Perfectly happy with it, no need for anything more fancy. Mmmmm too bad it's 9 in the morning :eek:
As my ex-mother in law used to say, "It's always high noon somewhere!" I love a good single malt. My brother rescued a bottle from the estate of his wife's aunt that was particularly good, Balvenie single barrel over 50% ABV bottled in '99. Not knowing what it was he had already shared with his heathen sons and in laws but a couple of pours were left for me. He was shocked when he discovered what modern bottlings of this nectar of the gods sell for and I'm sure a vintage bottling would be several times higher. I am also fond of a local Colorado Whiskey, "Stranahans."
Think Twice, Post Once!
GronK
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

GronK wrote:As my ex-mother in law used to say, "It's always high noon somewhere!" I love a good single malt. My brother rescued a bottle from the estate of his wife's aunt that was particularly good, Balvenie single barrel over 50% ABV bottled in '99. Not knowing what it was he had already shared with his heathen sons and in laws but a couple of pours were left for me. He was shocked when he discovered what modern bottlings of this nectar of the gods sell for and I'm sure a vintage bottling would be several times higher. I am also fond of a local Colorado Whiskey, "Stranahans."
Balvanie is good stuff. Prices keep getting higher as single malts become more and more popular, but at least a bottle last a while. At least for me, I can easily make a bottle last several months. Where as people who pay a ton for wine or champagne puzzle me since that bottle is gone very soon.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

MadRookie wrote:Any dark rums, lots of it & beer.....

:)
I'm with you, MadRookie. Dark, flavorful rums - preferably neat or iced, but sometimes mixed with various fruit juices in the summer.

TedP
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If you guys are Scotch drinkers, you might like Bulleit Bourbon. It is a small batch bourbon that has been around a long time. I also like Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, and Eagle Rare.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

I am partial to the American Bourbons--Basil Hayden's and Knob Creek Rye especially, though Makers Mark is nice. DH likes Buffalo Trace and Sazerac. We also have a couple more floating around but the specific names escape me at the moment. (Devil's Cut is one?)

For Scotch, I like Balvenie.

As for American Honey, oh my, yes! It is the preferred bedtime tot... Quite pleasant and tasty.
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Monkeywrangler wrote:...(Devil's Cut is one?)
Devil's Cut is good flavorful stuff.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*