What do you do for a living?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Invective

Post by Invective »

There was this thread

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... =invective

but it hasn't had a post in a while so I see no reason to not keep this thread, since it also has dream job!

From the other thread, not much has changed for me
Invective wrote:Gonna be showing my age here, but whatever we're all friends here. I'm a student, graduating college this year and still looking for a job once I'm out. I work as a contractor at an LLC but nothing I'd make a career out of. Had to sign an NDA when I joined though so I can't say anything too specific, but pretty much what I do is search eBay, amazon and some other online shops for knockoffs and counterfeits of the company that hired the LLC I work for.
Although now I have graduated from Cal Poly Pomona and am currently looking for a job, I still work my contractor work as well as taking classes at a community college ($300 per semester is so nice!) working to get my paralegal certificate.

I guess my dream job would be at a law firm doing paralegal work. Used to be as a lawyer but with law school tuitions increasing and lawyer positions decreasing, that seems less feasible now.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I do Concrete during the summer and fall. and I am a full time university student during the fall and winter. I graduate in winter of 2014 with a bachelors of business admin, major accounting, minor finance and economics :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I am a woodworker and residential remodeling contractor. I also teach part time at a local college.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've had lots of interesting jobs. Most of my life though I've been in retail management. I've also done some cool manufacturing jobs that have taught me a lot about how knives cut. I worked in corrugation making boxes from start to finish, so I have a lot of experience cutting cardboard (although technically boxes aren't made from cardboard, they're made from corrugated fiber board unless we're talking about cereal boxes, that's what cardboard is). I also worked in polyethylene extrusion, which is a fancy name for making plastic film, which ranged from the plastic that trash and retail bags are made from to food packaging plastics, to high tech medical stuff like colostomy bag plastics and autoclave bags. You wouldn't believe the technology that goes into a simple sheet of plastic, and if you've never seen a blown film machine running, I highly suggest looking it up because it's really interesting stuff.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

To borrow from Joe in the thread Invective linked to, I'm chauffeur, cook, butler, hairdresser, and personal assistant to Bear, a Pekingese of distinction. :D

Prior to that, and before I retired almost five years ago, I was a computer programmer and systems analyst for New York State. Began working in COBOL and CICS against a DB2 database, spent the last ten years working with Oracle Designer and Developer against an Oracle database. Enjoyed the work, hated the politics.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:To borrow from Joe in the thread Invective linked to, I'm chauffeur, cook, butler, hairdresser, and personal assistant to Bear, a Pekingese of distinction. :D

Prior to that, and before I retired almost five years ago, I was a computer programmer and systems analyst for New York State. Began working in COBOL and CICS against a DB2 database, spent the last ten years working with Oracle Designer and Developer against an Oracle database. Enjoyed the work, hated the politics.
That's a basic description of every job I've ever had.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I'm Global Process Owner- Quality Audit for an Aerospace multinational- 12 sites worldwide. I've also got the dual title of Systems Audit Manager- European Region, just to make it clear I've got actually do things as well. ;)

My specialities are AS9100, ISO9001, EASA Part 21, EASA Part 145, FAA Part 145, CAAC 145 and all the little 'fun' bits and pieces that come with meeting the requirements of those regs.

We design, develop, build, test and repair complete actuation systems for civil and military aircraft: all the stuff that moves the surfaces on the 787?- they are ours, designed as complete 'aircraft sets' of 40+ actuators....We machine and build to some seriously tight tolerances- 100,000ths of an inch is normal not exceptional.

I'm based in Europe but I cover US and Asia too...Just gotta hope we don't get a site on the moon or my airmiles will have to expressed in standard form "1x10^12" ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I'm a trophy husband :D and stay at home dad.
dialex

Post by dialex »

A few years ago I had the chance to make a dramatic change in my proffession so nowadays I work as a police officer. It is my dream job. :D
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

Full time electro/mechanical technician, machine builder and robotics/PLC programmer.
Part time freelance troubleshooter.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

After a long career in a job I loved I guess I am in my dream job now. I'm writing and playing music, studying guitar and getting ready to try to "make it" as a singer - songwriter at the western end of Washington state.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Cat herder, now retired.

I was last a System Administrator, before that a Data Administrator for a computer design system. In past lives I worked in engineering, cost management, quality assurance and welding inspection in the nuclear industry. Prior to that, I worked for several years as Dam Operator.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

My quote from the previous thread:
xceptnl wrote:I wear many hats. Short answer is Sales Manager and Chief Designer for a small design/manufacture/build firm. We hold a dozen or so patents for proprietary structural steel beams using cold-formed steels. Most of our business is residential design with specialization in suspended concrete deck and garage floors. I have been with the company for almost a decade and have moved up from the lowest designer to the "go-to guy". I wish I had gone thru with my degrees further and pursued my license.
I am also working part-time (nights and weekends) as an architectural draftsman for a few of my friends in the engineering field.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
springnr

Post by springnr »

Field service engineering military products, spend half the year deployed with the customer. It is rewarding, seen enough of the near east for a while, 1 Jan = retired.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Day job: Worked in the IT industry for the past 30 years. Lots of custom system development, network management systems, and IT security. Currently serve as a lead systems engineer for large IT system deployments.

After work hours jobs: Boy Scout Leader, soccer coach, husband for 27 years, and father to two boys. Oh, and I also fill the role as "alpha male" for my psychotic (but loveable) border collie.

TedP
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Full-time job I am a corrections officer in one of our state prisons. Part-time I am a Deacon/Bible teacher in my church. I was in the U.S. Navy Submarine Service for 6 years as an Electronics Technician, and I worked in a glass manufacturing facility making glass tv screens before they shipped all our jobs overseas.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I am fortunate to have a job I really enjoy (aside from the occasional politics of every job) as a computer programmer/web developer. Bought my first computer in 1979 (paid extra to double the memory to a whopping 8 KB! :) ).

Back when I took the ACT college entrance exam, they used to graph your scores in the various subjects to help you determine the type of work you were suited for. Mine was all the way over to "deal with machines" and away from "sales" or "deal with people" :D .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

rodloos wrote:I am fortunate to have a job I really enjoy (aside from the occasional politics of every job) as a computer programmer/web developer. Bought my first computer in 1979 (paid extra to double the memory to a whopping 8 KB! :) ).

Back when I took the ACT college entrance exam, they used to graph your scores in the various subjects to help you determine the type of work you were suited for. Mine was all the way over to "deal with machines" and away from "sales" or "deal with people" :D .
The purchase of a computer is what got me into the field. For years I had read about them, even build one for the Farmer, goose and fox crossing the river. I just though they were interesting until my lovely wife decided we needed one in the house. She was keeping books on an IBM desk sized computer at the time. I whined about the cost, but once we got it home and I started using it was, "Oh baby where have you been, I'm in love again." I was hooked.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Self-employed house painter... John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Public safety dispatcher, working towards law enforcement and ATF. Currently attending college for criminal justice.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience