What do you do for a living?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

I do high voltage underground electrical inspections and repair
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

IT work mostly. Currently a QC analyst for an agricultural software company. Pays me enough to make me stay but the work isn't really interesting.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Marine Surveyor -> Oil Field Surveyor -> Subdivision Designer -> Computer System Administrator -> Network Designer -> Global Email Administrator -> Intel Server Presales Engineer -> my current position which is similar to a cross between Paul and Roger ;) eg retired with people and puppies to take care of.

Ken
玉鋼
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

WireEdge Roger wrote:I'm a trophy husband :D and stay at home dad.
That's what I want to be when I grow up. :)
I'm still chefing. Is that a word?
- best wishes, Jazz.
willc

Post by willc »

I've been a carpenter for the past 18 years.
Worked in cabinet shops, have done drywall, ceilings, and most other types of interior systems work.
The past 8 years I have been working with scaffolding.

There are days when I complain but I actually really like my job.
LH Millie/ PM2 digi/ Tenacious/ Dragonfly/ Persian2/ Endura Super Blue
Cruwear Millie/ Manix2 XL/ Manix2/ Swick3/Gayle Bradley/ Delica SB/ Sage3
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I work for my Uncle, he runs a home repair business. I working on becoming a gun smith.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Andre

Post by Andre »

I work as a 3D artist and produce high end visuals for the automotive industry.
It's a nice job, but very tight deadlines and a high stress factor.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

20+ years as a firefighter for the greatest little city in the East.
Attachments
34772.jpg
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Software Engineer in the banking industry. After college, I spent 2 years working in credit card fraud and risk. The financial experience led to a job in software QA with a different bank. That led to a couple of community college courses in VB.NET and some training provided by my company. I have been writing code for my current company for just over three years. We are solely an online bank with no physical bank branches. Our real specialty is providing the back-end banking services for third party companies who need a banking platform but don't want to go to all the trouble of starting a bank from scratch (mostly financial investment houses). We're a Microsoft shop so we write our applications in C# .NET and utilize T-SQL for database programming. I'm one of our few developers who gets to split my time between both our web development and our back-end development. This means I get to work with our web sites, their accompanying webservice, and our batch processing and file exchange processes. We have been utilizing ASP.NET MVC for our websites for about the past 2 years.

In addition to my professional skills, I also have a decent understanding and training in Ruby and Java, and I've had to do some work with our one Oracle database in the past.

Although programming is my dream job, my absolute dream would be to start my own software development company.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
termite

Post by termite »

Also an engineer....but not the smart sort. The railroad sort with thirty-four plus years down and seven more to go.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I'm a Director of Photography and Camera Operator. I mostly shoot commercials, music videos, and web content, but do work on independent movies every now and then.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Outside sales for an LTL trucking company. I call on industrial producers to get them to use my company to haul their materials to/from them. Pricing is negotiated. I really like it because there is an immediate gratification, if you secure business it is freight on my trucks that day vs waiting for results or selling products instead of a service.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Welcome Termite!
Also an engineer....but not the smart sort. The railroad sort with thirty-four plus years down and seven more to go.
I have loved the big diesels since a child hopping trains on the B&O line between cleveland and Akron. I was soothed to sleep by one during my days working a steel prep gang through the sandhills of nebraska on the then Burlington & Northern. We mostly camped and kept the work train pulled by an old SD 9 on a side track near Mullen. Loved those things.

Of course those night time coal trains lead by 5 SD 40's would wake us up and shake the ground at run 8 with a mile of coal behind, and a few more pushers at the end.

The call "hot rail" still gets my adrenaline going.

By far the hardest labor job I've ever had and I've worked a bunch. Beautiful country but not enough women to go around. :)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

30 year professional fire-fighter - retired in 2006 - now do fire rational engineering designs for large shopping malls, warehouses etc.

Also the owner of a small IT company since 1999: http://www.computeksa.co.za/index.html

:)
Manchu

Post by Manchu »

Career military. Just hit 20-years this past October. Ten months from now I'll be a retiree. It'll be 21 years, and four months total...and trying to start a second career at 39. Most likely will try to get into contracting/GS here in Korea.
Keep Up The Fire!!

:spyder: : Janich/Snody Ronin, Chinook II (2/ea.), Manix (1st gen.), Persian (1st gen), UKPK-G10/orange, UKPK-G10/fg, Southard, Gayle Bradley, Goddard OD Lightweight Sprint Run

**Sent from a remote location using smoke signals.**
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

I work full-time at a chemical company as a department leader and fill-in chemist, but I also am going to school in the evenings to finish my B.S. in Mathematics. I am very close, I will hopefully be done in another year, then, on to taking actuarial exams...

My dream job? Programming music for toys or video games, I have a STRONG passion for electronic music.
I don't make a living composing music, but it's what I do. Music and math is what defines me.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Manchu, were you a Korean Rock Marine? I've heard those guys are pretty bad dudes!
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Event rental business, tents, tables chairs lighting etc. This is from a job we did in the summer it was about 6000 square feet.

Manchu

Post by Manchu »

eric m. wrote:Manchu, were you a Korean Rock Marine? I've heard those guys are pretty bad dudes!

No, I'm US Army - Infantry…currently stationed in Korea.
Keep Up The Fire!!

:spyder: : Janich/Snody Ronin, Chinook II (2/ea.), Manix (1st gen.), Persian (1st gen), UKPK-G10/orange, UKPK-G10/fg, Southard, Gayle Bradley, Goddard OD Lightweight Sprint Run

**Sent from a remote location using smoke signals.**
termite

Post by termite »

The Mastiff;903619]Welcome Termite!
Thank you for the welcome, Mastiff.
You've definitely been around some railroadin'! Those 40's have always been a favorite, but they've really thinned down. Was lucky to get a couple of them last night. Run like champs and sound so sweet.

I have loved the big diesels since a child hopping trains on the B&O line between cleveland and Akron. I was soothed to sleep by one during my days working a steel prep gang through the sandhills of nebraska on the then Burlington & Northern. We mostly camped and kept the work train pulled by an old SD 9 on a side track near Mullen. Loved those things.

Of course those night time coal trains lead by 5 SD 40's would wake us up and shake the ground at run 8 with a mile of coal behind, and a few more pushers at the end.

The call "hot rail" still gets my adrenaline going.

By far the hardest labor job I've ever had and I've worked a bunch. Beautiful country but not enough women to go around. :)

Joe[/QUOTE]