Subway vs Blimpie vs Other Submarine Sandwich/Hero/ Sandwich places?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Subway vs Blimpie vs Other Submarine Sandwich/Hero/ Sandwich places?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Opinions? What do you like best? Blimpie seems to give the largest portions but some Subway sandwiches are nice, like the meatball and cold cut trio.

Though, the local mom and pop places seem to be the best when it comes to dedicated hero sandwiches.

Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Ya know, that's a close call because both Subway and Blimpie have been kind to me. I've been to Subway far more than Blimpie since Subway seems to be more available in the places I've been, but, that said, Blimpie makes quite a nice meatball sandwich.

Tough choice, but I'll give the nod to Subway with the understanding that Blimpie is a close second.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
SIGnificant

Post by SIGnificant »

Jersey Mike's is better than either IMO.
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

I worked as a manager at subway for about 6 years. It was a great franchise and good food but always felt like portions could've been bigger
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'm going to say Subway. (For one, I've always enjoyed their sandwiches and two, we don't have any Blimpie's in my one-horse town ;) ).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

For my money, Schlotzsky's can't be beat. They aren't nationwide yet - but they've got the best sandwiches I've ever eaten...

TedP
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have eaten at Subway more because of the $4.00 special but I just like to make a simple sandwich at home. My favorite is made with Honey Wheat bread, mayonnaise, tomato, swiss cheese and Turkey breast.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I love subway because it is more commonly found here, but FIREHOUSE tops everything else on your list. Look it up, go find one, enter the building, order a tasty sub, thank me later!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Quiznos is my favorite. Second would be Schlotzskys. I remember eating in Schlotzskys in Austin when they only had 2 restaurants in the whole world. Third would be Jimmy Johns.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Subway gets a lot of flack when compared to other sub chains, but I really do love a chicken bacon ranch with southwest sauce on it...that's some good eatin.

For me though, if we're talking about any kind of sub/hoagie type sandwich, if I have the option I will always go to Penn Station and get a cheese steak with mayo, onions, and extra banana peppers. There was a time in my life that I thought I had about a week left to live, so I went out and ate at all my favorite restaurants, and PS was one that I ate at multiple times.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Quiznos is the best chain...but Mom and Pop all day long. We have a place here in B'ham by UAB called Fat Sams. A local sports station (Jox 94.5 show The Round Table)did a "sandwich bracket" where they took like 15 different restaurants' sandwiches around Birmingham and had a NCAA basketball style weekly challenge. All participants were mom and pop only. Fat Sam's won it all with their sandwich, "The Kitchen Sink". And that MF has everything but the kitchen sink on it. 6 meats, 4 cheeses, lettuce, onion, tomato, banana peppers, and a dressing that is sort of Caesar-ish . The place is a dump but a UAB institution, and had it not been for the Sandwich Bracket I would have never known about it. It is like eating a football of deli sliced heaven.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Subway: Italian herb & cheese bread, Spicy Italian with provolone cheese, everything on it except jalapenos (they talk back to me, go figure), oil & vinegar, black pepper & oregano, toasted. I rest my case. You can thank me later...
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Nothing compares to the local mom&pops shops! The large chains have too much overhead to really give you your money's worth! For less than the price of 2 $5 footlongs, at any one of the 4 mom&pops, I can get an 18 inch hoagie with 10 times the meat, 3 times the cheese, and twice the other topping than 2 subway foot-longs! :D
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I prefer mom & pop places as well, but I like the meatball and BLT at subway, the ham at Jersey Mike's, the flavors but not as much the portions/value at quizno's. I haven't found a place here that I'm into yet. I dig Firehouse for what I've gotten as well. Do they all have a ton of hot sauces sitting around? That's always a bonus in my book ;)
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

When I was working we had a Subway on the ground floor of our building and yet, like most of my co-workers, nine times out of ten if I wanted a sandwich, I'd walk the six blocks over to Bruegger's Bagel Shop. Subway's bread always smelled great, but it couldn't make up for how little meat they put on it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Mr Goodcents is decent around here. They slice the meat and cheese fresh, unlike Subway. The Goodcents near me has fresh bread daily and is kept absolutely immaculate.
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

Which Wich ( A new chain that moved into the area) has now earned my vote, tons of meat great toppings including a olive salad that rocks. Ordering takes some direction to do right, but the sandwiches are the best.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I would vote for Subway....as for Jersey Mike's.....bleh. Overpriced for the portion. But for a sub, I prefer to hit local mom and pop places. In Los Angeles it is Cavarettas, Jim's Meat Market, Dan's Super Subs, and DeFranko's Submarine Sandwiches.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Qcrazy wrote:Which Wich ( A new chain that moved into the area) has now earned my vote, tons of meat great toppings including a olive salad that rocks. Ordering takes some direction to do right, but the sandwiches are the best.
Good product but the ordering is the most bass ackwards bunch of caca ever. Too confusing
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Here in South Carolina Firehouse Subs are very good, however it is hard to best the subs our local Publix market makes.

Local places are usually the best.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.