Legality of carrying a personal emergency pry bar?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Legality of carrying a personal emergency pry bar?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I know pry bars have been discussed elsewhere, but my question is a legality one. I guess it's better to ask the police or look up the laws directly, but, I was reading in a survival book that one should always carry a small pry bar or entry tool on their person because you never know when you will be in a collapsed building, bus, vehicle, or other thing, and have to pry and break your way out.

Would this be considered a "breaking and entering tool" if a policeman saw you with it, or does it depend on the officer and the situation? I'm thinking something that is about the size of a large folding knife, or around those dimensions, as opposed to a crowbar type thing.

Like this from KABAR:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/425454 ... teel-blade

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Also, would the fact that it has an edge make it be considered a large knife or not?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As with many things, the answer would depend on the prybar being discovered by the police, and the circumstances under which they discovered it., If you're observed loitering outside a building at 2am, and frisked, most cops are probably going to consider any prybar to be a burglar's tool and the specific one you referenced a weapon. Most cops also have a low tolerance for certain types of behavior and, since there's rarely ever a specific law against acting like an ******* in a public place, they can get very creative if you give them sufficient reason to do so.

FWIW, I worked in building with poorly maintained 80 year old elevators for about eight years before I retired and carried a 12" Stanley Wonder Bar in my attache case every day. Never had to use it, never had a problem with the police, but I did get odd looks from security at some of our other offices,
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

The Deacon wrote:As with many things, the answer would depend on the prybar being discovered by the police, and the circumstances under which they discovered it., If you're observed loitering outside a building at 2am, and frisked, most cops are probably going to consider any prybar to be a burglar's tool and the specific one you referenced a weapon. Most cops also have a low tolerance for certain types of behavior and, since there's rarely ever a specific law against acting like an ******* in a public place, they can get very creative if you give them sufficient reason to do so.
To quote Terry Pratchett: "Lockpicks are only geographically legal. Having them in your own home is perfectly legal.
Having them about your person at midnight inside a bankvault that is miraculously empty of money without a proper explanation is so far from legal it can't be seen with a powerful telescope" ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Considering that this KaBar is named a "Entry Tool" - the name itself would probably be used by a Prosecutor in trying to establish intent to commit a crime. That's why I probably won't ever EDC a "Warrior"... :cool:

TedP
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

The Deacon wrote:since there's rarely ever a specific law against acting like an ******* in a public place
If only these kinds of laws were more prevalent. Unfortunately they'd probably just get used to persecute people though.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

A large edged bar like that Ka-Bar or a County Comm E.O.D. should fall into fixed-blade legality. Non-edged ones should fall into normal tool categories unless you hit someone with it. I would have a reason for carrying it prior to being asked though.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I've got a small 6"x1"x1/4" Ti prybar in my bag... and it really came in handy when we needed to pop the window on the elevator at the Legion to get the key out (yeah... the emergency key was ON the person trapped in the elevator).
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.