Work Sharp Ken Onion

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JHR

Work Sharp Ken Onion

Post by JHR »

I picked one up at Cabela's today and I've been playing around with it for a couple hours. First knife was a beater Kershaw Oso Sweet. Love the knife, but since it was one of my cheaper knives and it was dull, it had to play guinea pig. I decided to just go with the lowest angle setting possible (a little under 15 per side). Why not? With this machine, repairing a chipped-out blade or lowering the blade angle is trivial.

Preliminary observations: Don't loiter any section of the blade on the coarser belts! The coarser belts will flay metal from your knives. My Oso Sweet now has a oso sweet recurve to it :D

I need to pay more attention to the tip. Don't move the tip off the belt, lift the blade upwards when the tip reaches the center of the belt. Still haven't mastered this part so the tip now looks a little funny.

The faster settings and the coarse and medium belts used in conjunction will heat your blade noticeably. As I understand, high heat can affect the heat treatment of your blade so buyer be warned.

The 6000-grit belt leaves a very nice mirror finish on the bevel and gets it screaming sharp in no time. A few strokes of the strop later and I can say I'm very pleased with the results. A little practice and I should have no problems with unwanted recurves or tip mutilation :eek:
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

So the Ken Onion version allows you to use different speeds?

A buddy of mine has the original version, and it's done quite a number on his Kershaw Needs Work. I think that comes from lack of practice though.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
JHR

Post by JHR »

Indeed it does, and it comes with a handy button that holds the trigger down. It can be set to go very slow. I think I'll make sure to go slow and use the button so I can move the blade across carefully.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sounds like a recipe to remove too much metal and burn edges to me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Can they run on batteries too in case the power goes out?
JHR

Post by JHR »

sir_mike wrote:Can they run on batteries too in case the power goes out?
Nope.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

According to the info at Cabela's, which I assume comes from the company, the operating Wattange is around 90-150W. Not too heavy and definitely within the grasp of a moderate inverter.

Seems like this could be pretty convenient for some folks, but I honestly would lean toward a belt grinder in that price range, I think. I would want to do more than sharpen knife blades, however.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Oso curvy. Haha.
dbcad wrote:Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

Enjoy your edges folks:)
JHR

Post by JHR »

Been playing around with a $17 Buck Bantam.

But this time I did a little tip I found on bladeforums and put some green polishing compound on the 6000 grit belt. So now I do know that the system is capable of producing edges that cut whittle freestanding hairs.

I've been getting edges with bench stones and a leather strop for a while but it would take much longer than what I would be able to achieve with a power system.