Challenge

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Kweb wrote:Im in. Kershaw skyline or D-fly????
Forgot about the Skyline. Neat little knife.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

18 year old gerber ez-out combo-edge! great knife!!!
JHR

Post by JHR »

The knifes I carry most are my Victorinox knives. There's always a Classic SD on my keychain.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

What about a variation on this challenge? Go for x amount of days, using your knife a significant amount (get it dull), but you are not allowed to sharpen it with anything that was designed as a sharpener, only improvised methods.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Pockets wrote:What about a variation on this challenge? Go for x amount of days, using your knife a significant amount (get it dull), but you are not allowed to sharpen it with anything that was designed as a sharpener, only improvised methods.
I like it!
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I'm going car camping with some friends next weekend, and I'm going to try to do this. I can't decide between my Para 2, my Sage 1, and my ZT 0350.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

i've been carrying my byrd hawkbill every day of late. Also my CTS-XHP Manix :o .. Spent a week or so carrying just a CRKT M16 - not a bad little knife at the price it would have cost (a not-so-mysterious benefactor sent it to me) and for the weight and function it seems pretty decent. Had some issues with the pivot getting loose but I'm sure some loctite would help. I think I may do that I was meaning to put up a review of it anyway.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I decided to replace ONE of my daily carry spydies with an oldie I got on a ridiculous closeout price nearly 7 years ago. This is day 2 and I am making it alright. I am letting this one serve in place of my Military (big shoes to fill). I have carried it very little, but still love it and could never get rid of it. I did truly pay under $25 for this and could have purchased more at the time.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

I only made it a day. Caly 3 goes back in the pocket.......
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Its Day 4 (I started on friday) and my CRKT Drifter has surprised me, because When I got it I carried it for about a week then put it in my knife box and put my spydie back in my pocket. I really like how smooth it is and its recurve blade provides plenty of belly for cutting just about anything you would every day.
The frame lock is surprisingly strong and the handle feels pretty good. The ergo's could be better and the clip is a little too tight, and the jimping isn't too good, but what do you expect from a knife I got for $13? overall its going pretty good so far and I have 3 days to go.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'm.sure one of my opis will work.well but I'll be asking myself why I spent all that money on my sprint runs if I won't make as much use of them as I can. Life is short as I'm all too acutely aware.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Im carrying a $950 strider in my pocket and my cheapest knife was $50....... fail
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

its the 6th day and on the 4th day I switched out for the Gerber Evo Mid the knife My uncle in the marines carries 9He normally carries a Emerson commander but I gave him the Gerber so hes been carrying it for a little while), for veterans day. Also wore my USMC hat.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

I think everyone should have an Opinel or two. They're just fun.
dbcad wrote:Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

Enjoy your edges folks:)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Rwb1500 wrote:I think everyone should have an Opinel or two. They're just fun.
To take a page from both this challenge and also from the epic gbelleh edc thread, I am going to continue this challenge. Next week will be my Opinel along with my Spydies.
Day 6 almost complete and I have enjoyed this knife all over again.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
M80

Post by M80 »

Rwb1500 wrote:I think everyone should have an Opinel or two. They're just fun.
I have a #8 i love it ;)
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I've been carrying a Kershaw Chill (along with a Cruwear Millie....and a GEC #15) and I like it...its a bit small, and is just a $30 chinese made knife. But its pretty well designed (RJ Martin) and the build is pretty good. So it has seen a fair amount of use.
On the hunt for...
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Well, I went back to the ez out! Didn't skip a beat as it is a great carry knife for under 30 dollars! Back to the stretch, native, delica, and whatever else I choose! :D
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

.357 mag wrote:I've been carrying this in my pocket for the last 2 weeks. I got it in trade with a few other things but I think these Beckers go for $10-12.

Doesn't that thing cut holes in your pants and your leg? :eek: :)

That does look like a nice little fixed blade. The term "Becker Necker" comes to mind. Is that sold as a neck knife? I may need to check them out. Very cool.

I have 4 knives on me right now. None cost less than $30. Like Ken I could carry my Opinel 6. I just don't want to carry only it. It's the only under $30 knife I can think of. I will do this though. I'll carry it and only use it unless I have a cutting job that might endanger the Opinel or if it is obviously not the knife for the job. I did the same thing during "little/big knife" week. I only used my Manbug for a week unless I absolutely needed the GB (or Sage4) which I also carried. I don't want to use a favorite for a job it's obviously not designed for. I would never pry a hub cap off with a Manbug. But I would use my GB. YEAH RIGHT! :)

Jack
PS edit: I found your knife on knivesplus for $22.50. You are still under the challenge price. :) I think it is the same knife.

Dang. Just saw the date on the thread. Guess I missed out. :)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Jeez, guys. I carried a knife worth less than $30 every day of my life for 65 years as I very slowly evolved into a spydieman. Does that count? I carried the three below, in turn, over the last 35 years or so, the last one, only a couple of years. In my earlier days I favored Solingen-made Tree Brand knives. I know you're wondering... I started when I was six ;)

K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.