Curious What Fellow Spydie Fans Have Tastes In Guns/ Carry

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

RanCoWeAla wrote:You can't beat the Glock 26.
I'd pretty much agree right now. :)
christopher

Post by christopher »

Sig 220 .45, Sig220 9mm, 290 9mm, Sig 220 (marked as a Browning) 9mm.

Of all of these I prefer the .45.
Chris
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Hehe I really enjoyed shooting a couple of IPSC COF's with my little gun this afternoon.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

My baby is a rem700 spsvar in a mcmillan a5 stock with: jewel trigger set to 1#, badger m5 bottom metal, egw 20moa base, nightforce 2.5-15x50 F1 with a mildot reticle and nightforce ultralite rings. I have a load worked up for her that is 175 SMK over 44gr of varget in hornady brass and a fed210 primer seated to 2.800" OAL, which has gotten me about .4" 5 shot group at 100 yards. Been a several months since I have gone shooting cause of the cost of ammo and reloading components.

So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
Auxiliaryjohn

Post by Auxiliaryjohn »

My daily carry for the past 4 years has been a Glock 36 in .45 cal. Small enough to carry, and large enough to get the job done if necessary.

Sometimes a S&W 4516, if it's real windy.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

"Been a several months since I have gone shooting cause of the cost of ammo and reloading components." chuckd

That's why I've changed things up a bit & am shooting more 22 now. Still get to practice the basics, shoot more and have fun, but I wouldn't be shooting this much with center-fire anything now. Just too expensive with the 40, 45 & long guns until prices level and the political climate shifts back into the global cooling mode. Trouble is, people seem to be shooting more 22's than ever and even the lowly 22 is pretty scarce here now.
eitenbuffalo34

Post by eitenbuffalo34 »

Finally picked up a Mosin Nagant circa 1942. Time to go shooting!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:spyder:'s: Paramilitary 2 Satin Camo, Caly 3.5 Carbon Fiber, Translucent Blue Manix, Pacific Salt SE, Tenacious, and Paramilitary 2 M390 Blue
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

noseoil wrote:"Been a several months since I have gone shooting cause of the cost of ammo and reloading components." chuckd

That's why I've changed things up a bit & am shooting more 22 now. Still get to practice the basics, shoot more and have fun, but I wouldn't be shooting this much with center-fire anything now. Just too expensive with the 40, 45 & long guns until prices level and the political climate shifts back into the global cooling mode. Trouble is, people seem to be shooting more 22's than ever and even the lowly 22 is pretty scarce here now.
I agree, I have wanted to buy a 22 bolt gun but haven't had the cash for that, not to mention when I was looking to get one the ammo was at its most scarce, not sure about finding it now, hopefully its better.
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I like the 9mm because there is plenty of it now in most places and it is quite a bit cheaper than either the. 40 or 45
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I used to have several handgun calibers and now after prepping for Haiyan, I'm a convert of a single caliber. Last time I prepped a bob, was two years ago. An earthquake hit us and we had a tsunami warning. It was a pain prepping a hundred rounds each for 3 calibers and a shotgun. Preparing 200 rounds of 9mm only and distributing it among four bags went much faster and less confusedly than preparing for 3 calibers. 200 rounds for 3 handguns was pretty convenient.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

My Glock 26 in a Minotaur holster. I also shoot it pretty regular. I load it with Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +Ps for CC.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

enduraguy wrote:My Glock 26 in a Minotaur holster. I also shoot it pretty regular. I load it with Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +Ps for CC.
How's the velocity on those from the G26?
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I don't shoot anything but 115 gr. loads in my three Glock 9mms. The best 9mm load you can get is the Cor-Bon 115+p the only 9mm load made for civilian purchase that is the equivalent of law enforcement loads in 9mm. It has a 115 grain hollowpoint traveling at 1350 fps. They also make a 90 grain that I use in my model 26 and it's loaded to 1500 fps. These duplicate some. 357 magnum round and I guarantee are very effective.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:How's the velocity on those from the G26?
I have not chrono'd them myself, but I think the guy goes by "tnoutdoors" on youtube. He shot some (+P) from a 26 and the 5 shot average was a little over 1,000 FPS. :cool:
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I don't shoot anything but 115 gr. loads in my three Glock 9mms. The best 9mm load you can get is the Cor-Bon 115+p the only 9mm load made for civilian purchase that is the equivalent of law enforcement loads in 9mm. It has a 115 grain hollowpoint traveling at 1350 fps. They also make a 90 grain that I use in my model 26 and it's loaded to 1500 fps. These duplicate some. 357 magnum round and I guarantee are very effective.
"Duplicate" is a strong word here. Maybe "come close" in muzzle energy, but definitely not in penetration depth.
Yea, when I knew less about terminal ballistics I liked the idea of a light, fast load. I now prefer the idea of a heavy slightly slower load that will penetrate a "BG" no matter what size they are or what they are wearing to an effective, vital organ reaching depth. I'll leave the 90grn 1,500 FPS loads to the folks who want a 8" penetration depth. Nevermind if that light load hits heavy clothing, or bone.

I get a kick out of the folks excited about those 50grn 9mm loads. Sounds like a fun varmint round though.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Thanks guys.
Irelander

Post by Irelander »

I've been a Glock fan for quite a few years. Certified as a Glock Armorer and fell in love even more. I used to carry a G26 but found it a bit bulky for my thin frame to conceal. I now carry a Kahr P380 religiously. Its a great pistol and what it lacks in knock down power is overshadowed by a great reliable design and my practicing almost everyday with it. My G17 is my HD gun but it is basically there so I can fight my way to my Remington 870.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Irelander wrote:I've been a Glock fan for quite a few years. Certified as a Glock Armorer and fell in love even more. I used to carry a G26 but found it a bit bulky for my thin frame to conceal. I now carry a Kahr P380 religiously. Its a great pistol and what it lacks in knock down power is overshadowed by a great reliable design and my practicing almost everyday with it. My G17 is my HD gun but it is basically there so I can fight my way to my Remington 870.
Yup, I will use mouse guns as inhalers from ****. Apply to nostril and activate. Once for each nostril. Repeat as necessary. That should do the trick. :)

What ammo do you use with your Kahr? I have read from the interwebz that since small calibers have basically no knocking power, that you might as well go for penetration and use FMJ's.

I used to have this Keltech and regret getting rid of it.

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Irelander wrote:I've been a Glock fan for quite a few years. Certified as a Glock Armorer and fell in love even more. I used to carry a G26 but found it a bit bulky for my thin frame to conceal. I now carry a Kahr P380 religiously. Its a great pistol and what it lacks in knock down power is overshadowed by a great reliable design and my practicing almost everyday with it. My G17 is my HD gun but it is basically there so I can fight my way to my Remington 870.
A fine piece, to be sure. I've literally held one in my hand at every gun show for the past three years and fell in love with it every time. God knows I love my CW9, but I just wish that Kahr offered manual thumb safeties. If they did, I would own a P380 in a heartbeat. I’ve seen that Kahr came out with the economy version of the P380 (as part of their CW Series -- http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CW380.asp). Pretty tempting, but I still like the manual safeties as found on the Sig. Sauer 238.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

It is wise to have firearms chambered in military calibers, ensuring a good supply of ammo! The 9mm parabellum is a NATO standard and also a world standard! Love the Kel-Tec! It's a go anywhere companion, even in summer! I only carry FMJ's in it because of the penetration! :)