Curious What Fellow Spydie Fans Have Tastes In Guns/ Carry

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
raven

Post by raven »

Here's another toy...

This is a GA Precision Crusader, .308 Win, AICS 2.0 stock, Badger Ordnance Rings, and Atlas Bipod ;) .

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Nice looking set up, Raven. Do you have the glass picked out yet?
:spyder:
Dan
raven

Post by raven »

Thank You... yeah, just haven't had a chance to get it all set up ;) .
Here you go... (sorry for not posting it :o )

US Optics :cool:

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

My classiest pistol is a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. While I try not to abuse it, it is no safe queen. The only change I made was to install Strider Gunner Grips. I may soon install a wider-notch rear sight. I bought it around 1999 or 2000, and carried it concealed for a couple of years, while I was still carrying more utilitarian 1911 pistols on police patrol, until 2002. In 2012, I started carrying it again, some of the time. As I get older, snappy .40 recoil with light-alloy-framed .40 pistols is no longer fun, compared to the gentler push of a steel-framed 1911 .45 ACP.

From April 2002 until November 2013, I had to carry a .40 duty pistol, with several models being approved. (Some .45 ACP pistols were authorized in November 2013, and another added this month.) At first, I used a pair of G22 Glocks, but when I discovered the slimmer-trigger option, and learned about DAK, I switched to a SIG P229R in 2004. I still carry the P229R at work, but .40 recoil is not kind to my aging, aching right wrist. (I used to shoot .44 and .41 Magnums in the 1980s, before admitting to myself my hands were a bit too small for N-frames, though I still have my much-worn Model 58 .41 Mag.)

Knowing that my chief was considering allowing 9mm duty pistols, and wanting to spare my wrist further damage, I bought a pre-owned but pristine two-tone 3rd Generation G17, which is now my choice for concealed carry off the clock, usually with a Surefire X300 affixed, in a Raven Concealment holster. I recently bought a 4th Generation G19, which is still undergoing function-testing. As a patrol officer, I must carry .40 or .45, but if I can get into a plainclothed investigator position, I can "qual" with a G19 as a primary duty pistol, and if so, I will probably make the full transition to lefty carry.

My newest pistol, still undergoing function testing, is a Walther (S&W) PPK/S, stainless steel, .380 ACP. It makes sense, as my wife's favored pistol is a German-made Walther PP; we can share spare magazines if we are both carrying Walthers.

For pocket carry around the house, I favor my Seecamp LWS-32.

To keep from writing a book, I will just briefly mention some of my revolvers. The smallest and lightest is an Airweight derivative of the S&W Model 642, dubbed the "M460" as it passed through the Performance Center. This one is no safe queen; it is much-carried as a second gun. I also love my S&W Model 19-5, my several GP100 sixguns, my Super Redhawk Alaskan, Ruger Bisley, and several single-action sixguns made by Colt and USFA.

Shotguns are just working tools for me. I have never learned to love any of them. I have a Remington 870P, with a Vang-comp barrel, that keeps buckshot patterns tight. I have been contemplating a Benelli M2; perhaps I can learn to love it.

To keep this brief, regarding rifles, I will only mention my pair of Mini-14 carbines, both being 580-series, with flash hiders. One has a Sage International SCAR chassis, with collapsing AR-style stock. It is topped with an Aimpoint Micro T-1, and has plenty of rail space for attaching Surefire Weaponlights. I am just not an AR15 person, though I assembled one for my wife. The Mini is a better fit for me, with its safety lever and other features being notably lefty-friendly, as-is.
Civilians, Dodo, Guntings, Mili, P'kal, Rescues, Ronins, Temperance, others...

Have Colt, will travel.
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Has anyone seen the new Glock model 42 .380
I am eagerly waiting to handle one of these! Until late 2011, I would have scoffed at the idea, but a soft-kicking, locked-breech, hand-filling polymer-frame .380 may be just what my aging, aching right hand needs, an orthopedic back-up gun. (After a lifetime of toting bigger bores, including wrist-crunching Magnums, a G17 is my orthopedic primary concealed-carry gun.) The Kel-tec and Ruger LCP are a bit too small, and the Kel-tec does not inspire confidence; the G42 looks a bit bigger, perhaps just about right for me. I am breaking-in a Walther PPK/s now, but being fixed-barrel, it may kick more than a G42.

Some complain that the G42 is not 9mm. Well, a G19 hurts my right wrist when I shoot it, so a smaller 9mm Glock will hurt worse. (A G17 is relatively painless, at this point in time, especially with an X300 mounted, thankfully.)

Yes, I do carry two pistols. The taxpayers have expected me to make a portion of the population dislike me, for nearly thirty years. Three of my personally-known colleagues have been hit in their hands or arms at the outset of gunfights. One of them was off the clock at the time.

I am certainly not an advocate of .380 ACP, for folks who can carry more per-shot power, but have learned to respect what it can do. One shooting in my patrol district involved a .380 breaking a femur, a one shot stop. The femur is not a small bone!
Civilians, Dodo, Guntings, Mili, P'kal, Rescues, Ronins, Temperance, others...

Have Colt, will travel.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

GREAT optic, Raven. Thanks for sharing.
raven wrote:Thank You... yeah, just haven't had a chance to get it all set up ;) .
Here you go... (sorry for not posting it :o )

US Optics :cool:

-raven-
:spyder:
Dan
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

SCAR heavy goodness.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

J32A2 wrote:SCAR heavy goodness.
Such an awesome rifle. I got to put a mag through one a while back when one of my LEO buddies brought his out to the range. Such an awesome weapon. His was an L model though, and he used it as his patrol rifle. Still does, last I checked. He has an EOTech holo sight on it too.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Officer Gigglez

Rex G wrote:My classiest pistol is a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. While I try not to abuse it, it is no safe queen. The only change I made was to install Strider Gunner Grips. I may soon install a wider-notch rear sight. I bought it around 1999 or 2000, and carried it concealed for a couple of years, while I was still carrying more utilitarian 1911 pistols on police patrol, until 2002. In 2012, I started carrying it again, some of the time. As I get older, snappy .40 recoil with light-alloy-framed .40 pistols is no longer fun, compared to the gentler push of a steel-framed 1911 .45 ACP.

From April 2002 until November 2013, I had to carry a .40 duty pistol, with several models being approved. (Some .45 ACP pistols were authorized in November 2013, and another added this month.) At first, I used a pair of G22 Glocks, but when I discovered the slimmer-trigger option, and learned about DAK, I switched to a SIG P229R in 2004. I still carry the P229R at work, but .40 recoil is not kind to my aging, aching right wrist. (I used to shoot .44 and .41 Magnums in the 1980s, before admitting to myself my hands were a bit too small for N-frames, though I still have my much-worn Model 58 .41 Mag.)

Knowing that my chief was considering allowing 9mm duty pistols, and wanting to spare my wrist further damage, I bought a pre-owned but pristine two-tone 3rd Generation G17, which is now my choice for concealed carry off the clock, usually with a Surefire X300 affixed, in a Raven Concealment holster. I recently bought a 4th Generation G19, which is still undergoing function-testing. As a patrol officer, I must carry .40 or .45, but if I can get into a plainclothed investigator position, I can "qual" with a G19 as a primary duty pistol, and if so, I will probably make the full transition to lefty carry.

My newest pistol, still undergoing function testing, is a Walther (S&W) PPK/S, stainless steel, .380 ACP. It makes sense, as my wife's favored pistol is a German-made Walther PP; we can share spare magazines if we are both carrying Walthers.

For pocket carry around the house, I favor my Seecamp LWS-32.

To keep from writing a book, I will just briefly mention some of my revolvers. The smallest and lightest is an Airweight derivative of the S&W Model 642, dubbed the "M460" as it passed through the Performance Center. This one is no safe queen; it is much-carried as a second gun. I also love my S&W Model 19-5, my several GP100 sixguns, my Super Redhawk Alaskan, Ruger Bisley, and several single-action sixguns made by Colt and USFA.

Shotguns are just working tools for me. I have never learned to love any of them. I have a Remington 870P, with a Vang-comp barrel, that keeps buckshot patterns tight. I have been contemplating a Benelli M2; perhaps I can learn to love it.

To keep this brief, regarding rifles, I will only mention my pair of Mini-14 carbines, both being 580-series, with flash hiders. One has a Sage International SCAR chassis, with collapsing AR-style stock. It is topped with an Aimpoint Micro T-1, and has plenty of rail space for attaching Surefire Weaponlights. I am just not an AR15 person, though I assembled one for my wife. The Mini is a better fit for me, with its safety lever and other features being notably lefty-friendly, as-is.
A PPK is a great example of what happens when form meets function. Such a classy pistol. Caliber isn't the greatest, but it can get the job done if you know how to place your shots. And I love my shotguns. Not more than my handguns, but certainly more than my rifles. 870 is by far my favorite, and probably will be until I croak. Love me an 870P with wood furniture. And I'm no AR person either. If I did run an AR, it'd be a classic A2 type configuration with the carry handle rear sight and fixed full stock.
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Resilience
Henry - get both

Post by Henry - get both »

Nice SCAR. The 308 version is close in weight to the .223 version, but hits twice as hard!

Despite not being a striker fired pistol I do love my FNX .45. On most guns with double /single action like my Beretta M9 the trigger break is to far back for me. The large grip on the FNX totally resolves that for me. For actual carry I will only use striker fired guns without manual safeties.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Yeah Rex G the sharp snappy recoil is exactly why I have never cared anything about the .40 S&w especially in small handguns. I had a Glock 27 once for about six weeks and traded it in on a model 26 9mm . I have bad arthritis and degenerative bone disease and I hate the 40. If I wanted anything more powerful than a 9mm it would be a 357 Sig model 33 Glock. I think the .357 Sig is the best handgun caliber there is especially if concetned about recoil and want something more powerful than a 9mm
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I look for it to get a lot more expensive with the closing of the lead smelter in Missouri and last week I read where the Government is going to outlaw any ammo with lead in it by 2018. Just another deliberate well calculated move by the current administration to disarm and destroy this country. 22s are all lead so if they can't find a suitable alternative then what.
This is not only unsubstantiated fear mongering, but just plain wrong. Lead for bullets has come from other sources for a long time.
dbcad wrote:Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

Enjoy your edges folks:)
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

mikebandw186 wrote:Why do they refuse to make a 9mm single stack? It's what everybody wants!

Someone has to keep Kahr in business. ;)

P9 Covert, K40 Covert, and a CW9. I like the goofy guns they don't sell anymore.

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Just saw in the 2014 issue of Glock Magazine where they say you can put every shot in the head of a siloute at 25 yards with the new model 42. Thats good shooting from a small single stack 380
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Just saw in the 2014 issue of Glock Magazine where they say you can put every shot in the head of a siloute at 25 yards with the new model 42. Thats good shooting from a small single stack 380
Lol. Everyone they hand the gun to can do that?

RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Anyone seen the new Remington single stack 9mm carry pistol. It's one of the best looking handguns I've seen in a while.
Officer Gigglez

RanCoWeAla wrote:Anyone seen the new Remington single stack 9mm carry pistol. It's one of the best looking handguns I've seen in a while.
Yeah. The R51. Seems cool. It appears to use the Beretta rotating barrel design, which is good.
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Resilience
Officer Gigglez

Rwb1500 wrote:Lol. Everyone they hand the gun to can do that?
The gun is responsible for accuracy. Not the shooter. Duh. Everyone knows that. Especially the Glock fanbase.
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Resilience
Officer Gigglez

Rwb1500 wrote:Someone has to keep Kahr in business. ;)

P9 Covert, K40 Covert, and a CW9. I like the goofy guns they don't sell anymore.

Kahr seems to make good stuff, but I hate how they feel in my hand. It has a lot to do with the polymer frame, but I have been known to like certain poly guns. Kahr however, not so much.
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Resilience
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

Hk USP, HK P30, Five-SeveN, VLTOR/Daniel Defense AR, Benelli Super Nova, Benelli Super VInci, and many more!