What Are Your Other Addictions?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
LC Kid

Let's Catch'Em!!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

Addictions? Fishing, by far.
:D
Stay Sharp!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote:You ever run across an older Zeb 44 with the middle finger ring, let a brother know. I have seen them come up here and there, but not often.

If I don't buy it myself, that's hot :drool:

My oldest is mid 80s so I don't have anything too fancy. My primary reel is an early 90s Abu Garcia
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Fishing, diving, knives, arms, not necessarily in that order. Over the years have accumulated toooo much stuff. Definitely a Whaler fan have three. Though older, 2 of the 3 in really fine shape. My son is "borrowing" my 1984 15' Supersport at the moment. In almost new condition. Has been garaged from day 1 and has the original 1984 Johnson 70 on it....runs really good. I take care of and maintain my boats, cars, and equipment. When younger and a bit more reckless, several of us would get our small boats and think nothing of running 20 miles offshore. :confused: No radios, stupid kids but we all made it. Rods, reels, and tackle, oh yeah. Scuba and Third Lung. My wife is ready to downsize. Fortunately she enjoys the activities as well. Good for me she has the patience of Jobess ;)
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

My other expensive hobby is bicycles but I only have two in my posession at the moment. One is an old Centurion Prestige from 1989. It is an old steel road frame that has been completely upgraded with a 2010 Shimano Ultegra drivetrain along with new wheels, bars, stem, seatpost, the works. The other bike is a Surly Crosscheck which is a steel frame cyclocross bike. I bought the Surly brand new as an complete bike about 3 years ago and in the meantime I have upgraded and replaced every single part on that bike. I think the only original part on the Surly is the rear brake cable hanger.

I don't have near enough woodworking and power tools, but I'm not as obsessive about those.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Guns are my first addiction, mainly handguns. I had to sell a few of my Spydies to get the Kimber.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Gunslinger wrote:Guns are my first addiction, mainly handguns. I had to sell a few of my Spydies to get the Kimber.
Call me a whanker, but I like your Colt Mustang the best of your collection
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

senorsquare wrote:My other expensive hobby is bicycles but I only have two in my posession at the moment. One is an old Centurion Prestige from 1989. It is an old steel road frame that has been completely upgraded with a 2010 Shimano Ultegra drivetrain along with new wheels, bars, stem, seatpost, the works. The other bike is a Surly Crosscheck which is a steel frame cyclocross bike. I bought the Surly brand new as an complete bike about 3 years ago and in the meantime I have upgraded and replaced every single part on that bike. I think the only original part on the Surly is the rear brake cable hanger.

I don't have near enough woodworking and power tools, but I'm not as obsessive about those.
Are you sure you don't mean a Nishiki Prestige? I didn't think Centurion made a Prestige model? I just sold a mint '84 Centurion Cavaletto.
~David
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Evil D wrote:Are you sure you don't mean a Nishiki Prestige? I didn't think Centurion made a Prestige model? I just sold a mint '84 Centurion Cavaletto.
It's a Centurion. The Tange Prestige tubing is nice. It's surprisingly light and nimble for a 25 year old steel road bike.

Untitled by senorsquare, on Flickr

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You really can't go wrong with an '80s lugged road bike frame made of quality tubing. You can upgrade everything to modern parts and it will ride with the best carbon frames out there. My latest is an '81 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, but it's all original except the bar wrap and seat, and will likely stay that way for a while, it just rides and shifts way too nice to modify just yet.

~David
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

JD Spydo wrote:It's interesting that a lot of these older, hand made items are superior in many cases than many of the newer items are. Just like what drew me to Spyderco knives I just admire and respect anything that is high quality and items that they took pride in making.
Old hand tools & especialy hammers. The quality is my main attraction. I mean stuff like Green River, GTD & Wells bro's taps & dies, the quality of that gear from that time period just blows me out. The variety as well, so many manufacturers competing to make the best tool & thereby gain market share.
Spyderco is then just a natural progression for a bloke like me. Quality, super steels, variety & even a tool to boot.
Antique stationary engines is another thing of mine. I love all the working bits on the outside of the motor & to see the crank with the rod & piston going in & out. rocker gear rocking & missing more than hitting, just enough to maintain the governed speed. All with a carby that a 10 year old can understand.
O.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I have got a small collection of diamond crescent wrenches and trimo pipe wrench's
My favorite Spyderco is the one I'm carrying now :p
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I would say looking for the ideal knife is my only hobby, but my other interests all involve living an active lifestyle. Sea paddling, hiking and mountain biking would be the big three with karate and generally keeping fit thrown in as well.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
VWTattoo

Post by VWTattoo »

My interests lie in the following areas:

1. Knives, of course. Currently, I am sitting at 83 Spydercos, and a host of others from mainstream makers, with an eye for older models from them.

2. Watches- I have about 75 watches, mostly focused on Older 60's through 80's Seiko automatics. There are many reasons why these are worth investigating- case shapes and styles, automatic movements made in house that are very robust and accurate, and beautiful dials that hold up very well. I have a few high end ones, and I have to watch my wife, because she does wear them at times, too! That's OK- she has bought me many a jewel of a watch, including both of my Grail Watches.

3. Flashlights. Like JDSpydo, by far my favorites are SureFire lights. I have 9 at this time, and am awaiting some of their newest ones to be released, so that I can somehow manage to acquire them without upsetting my better half... :p

4. Bass Guitar Gear- I have 6 guitars- (2) 5-Strings, which I mostly play, and (4) 4-String bass guitars. I stick with the 5 string Music Man Stingray 90% of the time, as the sounds just hit all the right spots. I also recently picked up a Genz Benz 900W Amp and a Bergantino HD212 cabinet, which is an amazing duo that lets the bass tone shine through and thump. Currently I play in two projects.

I work in the IT field, so I try to avoid anything computer related when I am not at work! ;)
2004 VW R32 :cool:
Got GIN-1?
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

car's; judo; bike"s
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

VWTattoo wrote:
4. Bass Guitar Gear- I have 6 guitars- (2) 5-Strings, which I mostly play, and (4) 4-String bass guitars. I stick with the 5 string Music Man Stingray 90% of the time, as the sounds just hit all the right spots. I also recently picked up a Genz Benz 900W Amp and a Bergantino HD212 cabinet, which is an amazing duo that lets the bass tone shine through and thump. Currently I play in two projects.

Back around 2000 I tried to learn bass, and I did ok but a number of things got me out of it, but not before spending a grand on a gorgeous two tone wood grain 5 string Ibanez and a Fender amp. I wanted to like Fender so much but they just didn't feel right in my hands, not like the Ibanez did.
~David
KNaB

Post by KNaB »

Guitars/instruments and effects are another addiction of mine as well. Pictured is my Les paul custom goldtop, an epiphone les paul that I've had since I was 15, and a Gibson les paul bass from about 1995. Not pictured, but I also have a Fender Jaguar, and Fender custom shop strat. As far as effects go, I have an affinity for Delay. On my board I have a Boss DM-2, Boss DM-3 (both analog), Boss-DD-5(digital) , and if you look to the right of the board there is a largish silver pedal. That is a JHS panther delay, which is a pretty fantastic unit. Picked up a couple of new toys recently. A shoegazer pedal and a Bit Mangler, both from Devi Ever.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Watches. I'm also slowly getting into guns. Whatever my wife allows me, she really doesn't like guns in the house. If she doesnt stop I'd have more.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

FCM415 wrote:Watches. I'm also slowly getting into guns. Whatever my wife allows me, she really doesn't like guns in the house. If she doesnt stop I'd have more.
Lol. Just tell your wife that it's a high-powered precision drill. :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

This weekend's fun. The Savage Mk2 FV-SR comes with a heavy 16 1/2" threaded barrel. This is just starting out. Need a better stock thank the Ruber Miad factory. Thinking it will shoot a bit better once I tweak it a bit and do a couple of things to make accuracy better. This is sighting in at 25 yards, so not too good yet but improving...

swissknife
Location: beautiful switzerland with not so ugly knive-laws anymore.. ;)

Post by swissknife »

for me it would be jumping off things - i like skydiving and recently went for a BASE-course (Building, Antenna, Span, Earth); i started skydiving in 2007 and have over 400 jumps to my name, plus 20 BASEjumps.

once you get into jumping, costs add up quickly, a typical skydiving-rig costs around 6000$, way more if i would have bought it in switzerland. then there's jumpsuits like your "regular" one for freeflying, then there's the wingsuits, trackingsuits.. lots of electronics like (audible) altimeters, cameras..

[video=youtube;X6V86MzuMmk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6V86MzuMmk[/video]

this is a video of my first ever cliff-jump last year in italy.

fun fact, i carry a spyderco harpy clipped to the harness, this would be used in case of certain emergencies as there is no reserve-parachute on a BASErig (and no time to deploy one :p ).