What Are Your Other Addictions?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Holy ****, that is one mean sounding Mustang!
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

3rdGenRigger wrote:Holy ****, that is one mean sounding Mustang!
Thanks. It runs pretty healthy. It makes about 400hp at the wheels and winds up to 7k with ease.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rg02

Post by rg02 »

I have two smokers and 3 weber kettle grills to BBQ and grill. Also into Atwood tools as well as antique cast iron cookware.
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

rg02 wrote:..antique cast iron cookware.
Thats cool, I just went down to Hillsville Flea Market, which attracts hundreds of thousands of people over Labor Day weekend and saw LOTS of old cast iron stuff, and overheard some people totally geeking out over their cookware fetish :) It was fun.

I buy older tools whenever I can, like today went to a swap meet and picked up and hand cranked grinding wheel...my 11 year old picked up a Norlund double bit axe head that need refurbing, boy sized just for him! It's actually, a borderline double bit "hatchet." Little bit rare, not bad for $8!

Check here: http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yestery ... 20Co..html, and scroll down to see the "saddle cruiser" pattern, if you are so inclined to geek out over axes!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

rg02 wrote:I have two smokers and 3 weber kettle grills to BBQ and grill. Also into Atwood tools as well as antique cast iron cookware.
I do 99% of the cooking at my house. I have tried everything under the sun to season iron and can't seem to get it anywhere near as non stick as a decent teflon coated pan. I gave up a year ago and bought a bunch of Calphalon stuff.
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

ginsuwarrior wrote:Thats cool, I just went down to Hillsville Flea Market, which attracts hundreds of thousands of people over Labor Day weekend...
I used to love the trip to Hillsville, but it isn't the same as it used to be.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:I do 99% of the cooking at my house. I have tried everything under the sun to season iron and can't seem to get it anywhere near as non stick as a decent teflon coated pan. I gave up a year ago and bought a bunch of Calphalon stuff.
Nothing seasons cast iron like lard and a proper "heat treatment". I have also had good success with peanut oil.
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote:Nothing seasons cast iron like lard and a proper "heat treatment". I have also had good success with peanut oil.
I did so much research on it, tried dozens of techniques that everyone swore by. I finally came across a very scientific method that a guy wrote up that went in detail about the scorch/burn temperatures of various oils and why some were good and some were bad for seasoning, and he recommended flax seed oil. I seasoned it and reseasoned it and it would cook some things ok but the surface never did get quite hard enough to withstand the scraping of spatulas and such when things did stick (which was another thing flax seed oil was supposed to be good for...a hard surface after seasoning). I was steered away from lard/bacon/etc seasoning because I was told the surface can actually spoil and go rancid over time. I still have my pan and haven't completely given up on it, but it's really hard to argue with the Calphalon stuff, despite the recent hype about the dangers of teflon coating. I've also tried a lot of high end stainless stuff in the past and can't seem to keep it from sticking either. The Calphalon stuff, you can drop an egg in a dry pan and it won't stick even if you burn it to a crisp. Just the other day I was making hotdogs for the kids and got really distracted and ended up forgetting that the pot was boiling and it boiled away and scorched the crap out of the hotdogs, smoked up the house and everything. The ash/burn mess in the pan literally wiped out with a rag.
~David
Holland

Post by Holland »

mountain biking, working out, and love my music
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

History - I have two degrees in the field and am always buying books on topics that I am fuzzy or have no clue about. It's a never-ending journey. :D

MMA - Since high school, I have been a big fan of the sport. I even took brazilian jiu jitsu in college because of my interest. I'm such a big fan that all my other sport interests have pretty much been put to the wayside.

Videogames - This passion has died down a bit since starting a new career. Still, I love playing games and am always excited to see the newest and greatest products and systems. I don't think this hobby will ever truly die in me.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

My other addictions would have to be cycling and watches. They are both expensive but lately I only by what I use. Watches are a very expensive addiction, I have one nice one and another that is quite nice that I can wear and not worry about. I know enough about them to know that what I want I can't afford, that is the thing about very expensive items they are so expensive they really aren't a temptation. But if I had a couple of bucks ...
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I would say, GOOD BOOKS, Meat and Cheese-based pastries, tomato juice, and mint-chip flavored ice cream. Also, as you can tell by the icon, kittens/cats.

Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Have to add this today , being completely ignored and banging my head against the wall.
Must be an addiction I've been married 17 years :mad: .
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Addicted to many things so let's just say decks of poker cards. Fortunately, not addicted to gambling... :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Only knives.
I probably cannot handle more than one at one time. It used to be books. Still reading but not even close to what I used to read. During entire year I read less than I used to read within a month. Considering the crappy pictures, which I am posting once in a while, will be funny to say that photography was my another addiction for at least 7-8 years. It was different era. Film cameras. I had my own dark room and processed manually B&W, colors, slides. I loved special effects with B&W. Than lost interest, lost skills. Than were computer games. Strategy and RPG mostly. Also for several years. Also lost interest. Still once in a while playing couple old games.
Actually there is one more addiction. This is dark chocolate.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
JD Spydo

D. A. M. Quick fishing equipment

Post by JD Spydo »

I have a rather odd addiction>> I collect fishing reels and equipment associated with them. But not just any reel>> I collect German made "D. A. M. Quick fishing reels, rods and other fishing equipment that they made. I strictly only collect the German made Quick fishing equipment even though they are still in business and are having their reels made somewhere else now.

I've also gotten a pretty nice collection of all kinds of knife/tool sharpening equipment as well as straight razor sharpening tools. OK I know that neither hobby is what you would call exciting but I think they are all interesting items to say the least.

It's interesting that a lot of these older, hand made items are superior in many cases than many of the newer items are. Just like what drew me to Spyderco knives I just admire and respect anything that is high quality and items that they took pride in making.

I love D. A. M. Quick reels so much that I just don't fish with anything else anymore. They are durable and heavy duty the way fishing reels are supposed to be made. Even "Quick's" ultra-light equipment will outperform many of the higher rated, high dollar, heavy duty reels that you pay huge money for nowadays.

I also like a lot of the new, high tech flashlights with Surefire being my ultimate favorite. This stuff might be boring to others but I sure like my hobbies.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I do have a love for old all metal Zebco 33 reels. I wouldn't say I collect them, but if I see one at a yard sale or something and it's in good condition I'll snatch it up. I haven't been fishing for a few years now so it's not something I pursue as a hobby. I have a really casual collection of elongated pennies...I buy/make one every chance I get any time I go anywhere that has a machine. For a couple years I was into collecting all the old '80s toys I grew up with...I have about 50 Schaper Stompers, a few mint condition GIJOES, tons of Spawn/McFarlane figures. Last time I sat and looked up the value of the Spawn figures I have it was well over $3k in online prices.
~David
TheChunk91

Post by TheChunk91 »

Racing dirtbikes and guns are the only things I would consider my addictions besides knives. And maybe dr. pepper consumption.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:I do have a love for old all metal Zebco 33 reels. I wouldn't say I collect them, but if I see one at a yard sale or something and it's in good condition I'll snatch it up. I haven't been fishing for a few years now so it's not something I pursue as a hobby...
You ever run across an older Zeb 44 with the middle finger ring, let a brother know. I have seen them come up here and there, but not often.

*Landon*
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Believe it or not... perfumes and fragrances. I have about 30-40 bottles of perfumes and wear almost all of them regularly in rotation.

The perfume community is absolutely huge - it is a $27.5 Billion global market. It is dominated by several large perfume houses (e.g., Chanel, Hermes, Guerlain), with a lot of very interesting niche and specialty manufacturers. There is also a plague of "celebrity" fragrances and cheap trashy imports of questionable quality. Sound familiar? The parallels to the cutlery/knife industry are pretty humorous...

If you are interested in geeking out on perfumes, the biggest fanboy site on the web is BASENOTES. Just remember, life is too short to wear cheap cologne!

TedP