Picked up a Fisher bullet space pen

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Kev83

Picked up a Fisher bullet space pen

Post by Kev83 »

So I was looking for a decent pen, better than your average Bic pen I guess you can say. I know that as far as "nice" pens go, this one is pretty far down on the totem pole; but it works for me and fulfills my needs as a writing device. I decided to check out the space pen series from Fisher because I work out in the field and write on anything I can and could never get my normal dime a dozen pens to write in the sometimes precarious positions I scribble in and different materials I write on. I found the bullet series pretty neat and convenient so I bought one. Got it on amazon for about $16. It writes great and on any surface that resembles paper, writes on dirty or smudged paper and can handle moist surfaces and oils/grease well also. When closed, it fits great in your coin pocket and is always at the ready. When the cap is put on In the open position it's an averaged sized pen with decent weight and feels nice in a standard writing position. About the only knock I give it is, the matte black finish on it is a tad bit slick but it's not a deal breaker, at least for me it's not. So if you're looking for a decent pen at a good price point check it out. I'm sure many pen enthusiasts already have seen it and I have no doubt they're better pens out there, but if you're like me and just wanted a step up from your cheapie type pens give it a shot. Below are some pics for size reference compared to my paramilitary 2 and my streamlight Microstream. All of which are my EDC.

kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I have two of those. They are great and fit my needs perfectly. I don't need a $300 pen. ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I love that pen but it really needs a screw on clip. I use the Space Pen refill in a modded Zebra 701 and love it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

Evil D wrote:I love that pen but it really needs a screw on clip. I use the Space Pen refill in a modded Zebra 701 and love it.
I agree, a clip of some sort would be nice on it.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea the clip is the downfall. The bullet pen got me intrigued with other pens that use the cartridge. I have a County Comm Embassy and Hinderer Investigator which are nice and reasonably priced.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Will post a picture of mine when I get home this afternoon. It's butt-ugly, but I always have one in my pocket for work.
OK here it is!

3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I have a Bullet finished in black titanium nitride, and I never go anywhere without it. The cap is sharp enough to use as a cigar punch, it'll write upside down or under water, or on metal because the roller ball is titanium and won't scar. The ink cartridges also last about 4 times as long as a Bic. You really can't go wrong. I look at pens the way I look at my knives...reliability is everything. I want something that will always work no questions asked.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I read somewhere that the U.S. Space program spent about thirty thousand dollars developing a pen like that for the astronauts and the Russians just use a pencil.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I read somewhere that the U.S. Space program spent about thirty thousand dollars developing a pen like that for the astronauts and the Russians just use a pencil.
OK but if I'm gonna bother flying to the moon I'm not gonna bother sharpening a pencil in zero gravity lol
~David
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I read somewhere that the U.S. Space program spent about thirty thousand dollars developing a pen like that for the astronauts and the Russians just use a pencil.
Not true...NASA and Russia both used pencils to begin with...the US adopted the Space Pen in 1968 for the Apollo 7 mission. The Russian cosmonauts adopted the Fisher SpacePen a year later in 1969.

---> Branden
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

You could always get a baliyo. It has a Fisher space pen in it. Only the made in the USA ones though.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Avoid the cheaper Chinese made BaLiYo.

---> Branden
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

3rdGenRigger wrote:Not true...NASA and Russia both used pencils to begin with...the US adopted the Space Pen in 1968 for the Apollo 7 mission. The Russian cosmonauts adopted the Fisher SpacePen a year later in 1969.
Exactly. Fisher designed the pen and more or less handed them out to the space program. The government didn't spend one dime to develop the technology...they probably didn't even pay Fisher for the pens. :p
LC Kid

Deal Breaker

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

I never understood why the Fisher Bullet Space Pen has no Clip
:confused: I like the size, the F&F, I like it uses a Space Pen Refill and I like the price.

That said, No Clip is a Deal Breaker for me
:D And that's precisely the reason why I really love my Hinderer Investigator Pen :cool:
Stay Sharp!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Mine have clips. They can be bought separately, but fall off easily. I put some superglue on mine after loosing one clip. Hasn't moved since ;)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Personally, I carry mine deep in pocket, so I don't need/want the clip. It is just friction fit and slides right off. They are really comfortable to carry in pocket.

Fisher also has another pen called the "Infineum" which has a non-replaceable ink cartridge. The early versions of the pen were guaranteed not to run out of ink for the life of the user. I've been unsuccessfully trying to drain mine for several years now. Haven't reached the bottom of the well yet.

TedP
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Space Pens on How It's Made..

[video=youtube;eEXtz2FEbBc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEXtz2FEbBc[/video]
~David
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Blerv wrote:Exactly. Fisher designed the pen and more or less handed them out to the space program. The government didn't spend one dime to develop the technology...they probably didn't even pay Fisher for the pens. :p
The original Bullet design was penned in 1949, and was originally coined by Fisher as the "Anti-Gravity Pen", because it could write upside down. Big upside to the space program to not have broken pieces of lead from mechanical pencils floating around, not to mention the dust on their precise instruments. I'm sure it practically sold itself.

And the Bullet is available with a pocket clip, and they can be ordered separately from Fisher...$3 I think.

---> Branden
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

I've carried this one since the turn of the millenium.

I also have the "Astronaut" model.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

They don't need a pocket clip, it just sits in the pocket until ready.