Does anyone use their little pry bars?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jazz

Does anyone use their little pry bars?

Post by Jazz »

I'm just curious, does anyone actually use their wee keychain pry bars for anything? Please chime in. I've had mine a couple years and have maybe pulled out a staple with it once - thought it'd be way more useful. Just takes up valuable pocket room.
- best wishes, Jazz.
knolan

Post by knolan »

I literally LOL'ed out your post Jazz. I too have been carrying a JP Toucan (and a couple of others around for 8 months on my keys) and much like you, aside from opening a couple of packages, the main result is a series of nice assorted sore red spots way too close to some of my favorite parts.

Perhaps if one doesn't carry a knife, or if the right individual in just the right circumstances could possibly find more uses for these tools? As for me, mine will be gifted since I don't think my body can take much more poking with jagged metal edges.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Yeah, pretty much the same here. It's a great idea in theory but I took mine off the key ring a couple months ago because I hadn't used it in like a year.

Ken
玉鋼
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

I carry my 4" pocket widgy at work and it's a tool I use every day. I work on machinery and use it to poke, pry, scrape or whatever. It's great for everything you shouldn't do with a knife or screwdriver.
I tried it on my keychain for a while but it was to big and sharp. I still plan on getting a smaller titanium micro or pico widgy to try out and probably keep in my truck.
:)
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
LC Kid

EDC Core

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mr. Jazz!

This is the Core of my EDC Stuff:

And I really use these three guys, like a thousand times every single day, but I have to say that my Atwood Larva Tool probably takes the most punishment out of it :cool:

I use it so much that actually I just don't know how I made it before I got it :D
Stay Sharp!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

LC Kid wrote:I use it so much that actually I just don't know how I made it before I got it
That was exactly my thought BEFORE getting mine. Just didn't work out. I like it, I just never used it.

Ken
玉鋼
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The last thing I needed to pry were the calipers off my car when I did the brakes last time, and one of those wee little pry bars just wouldn't be of much use. Before that, I can't remember the last time I had to pry at anything. I carry a Victorinox Spirit, which has an extra thick screwdriver/bottle opener/pry bar in the middle tool that is made extra thick for prying things. If I had a pry job small enough to justify a wee little pry bar, I would just use that instead.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
I have the small Widgy on my keys, and last winter I used it several mornings to pry open the door on my frozen 4 Runner.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Let me think. Opened two cans of contact cement, peeled off a section of Cove base, deburred five PVC pipe cuts, scraped rust out of three galvanized pipe nipples, cleaned off the mating surfaces of a dielectric union, lifted a countertop into alignment. I think that's all I did with it this morning, but there could have been some other stuff. You'd be surprised at what you can do with two or three of those little guys and a little ingenuity.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

yablanowitz wrote:...You'd be surprised at what you can do with two or three of those little guys and a little ingenuity.
I think you just hit on my problem using them ;) I need one of those little glowy arrows that says "Insert pry tool here" ;)

Ken
玉鋼
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Whereas I look at something and think, "if I stick one in there, and hammer the other one in over here I bet I can pop the spot weld and get this thing apart." :D
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Interesting stuff. I guess it depends on what you do in a day. I cook, and use my Salt 1 a ton. I use my SAK flat screwdriver to scrape/light pry, etc. I carry a Wave and use it a lot at work too. I have a wee widgy on my out and about keys and work keys, but just don't find a need. Thing is, they're cool, and I want to use them. I'll just keep carrying them til I go kooky.
- best wishes, Jazz.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

yablanowitz wrote:Whereas I look at something and think, "if I stick one in there, and hammer the other one in over here I bet I can pop the spot weld and get this thing apart." :D
...and I say 'hmm, it's welded together, nothing I can do about THAT!' ;)

Ken
玉鋼
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I don't really have a need for one because I always carry a full sized multi-tool. That being said, I do have the one Jazz sent me with my prize from his GAW and it stays on my keys, because you never know.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

:) I bought a few just to give away, too.
- best wishes, Jazz.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'm.a range officer and my P-bar has come to the rescue numerous times. That's only at the range too
Stuck doors and drawers have given way to mighty P-bar too.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

xceptnl wrote:I don't really have a need for one because I always carry a full sized multi-tool. That being said, I do have the one Jazz sent me with my prize from his GAW and it stays on my keys, because you never know.
I carry a Leatherman Wave (the old one with real screwdrivers instead of those crappy bits), a mini-prybar on my keyring all the time and a couple more of the little bars in my shirt pocket at work.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

My Leatherman at work is the old Wave - WAY better than the new style. I find all those flathead bits very useful - the new ones not. Why'd they change a good thing? I wish I could find a new old Wave. As a side note, I like new wave music too. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Jazz wrote: I wish I could find a new old Wave. As a side note, I like new wave music too. :cool:
Would that be old new wave? ;)

I prefer new old wave myself. ;)

Ken
玉鋼
knolan

Post by knolan »

yablanowitz wrote:I carry a Leatherman Wave (the old one with real screwdrivers instead of those crappy bits), a mini-prybar on my keyring all the time and a couple more of the little bars in my shirt pocket at work.
Not to derail the thread, but what's the issue w/the new Wave's replaceable screwdriver bits? Reason I ask is because I picked up a new Wave a few mos ago, and the bit quality seemed good visually in terms of oxidized steel, with sharp edges to dig in screw heads (although admittedly I haven't used em' yet), etc. Guess I'll have to go use the bits and see how they fare...