Sgian Dubhs: Scottish Dirks: Anyone like them? Show your's!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Sgian Dubhs: Scottish Dirks: Anyone like them? Show your's!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Sgian Dubh, the traditional Scottish stocking dirk worn as part of the Highland outfits are very cool tools and there are so many interesting variations. You can get them for tens of dollars on up to hundreds or more, when it comes to certain custom-made versions.

Also, you can sign this Pro-knife petition here: It seems as if the government in the UK wants to make it illegal or hard for Highland clans and bag pipers to wear the real bladed Sgian Dubhs. I heard some have told pipers to wear fake plastic versions!

http://www.clans2014.com/petition-to-de ... kburn-700/

[ATTACH]22702[/ATTACH]
Attachments
SgianDubh.jpg
SpyderEdgeForever

Good news: I just read on the petition page that the petition worked: People WILL be allowed to wear them AS LONG AS THEY ARE SHEATHED. Personally, I think that is still too much of a restriction; what if you want to take it out and use it for something? Even so, at least they will be allowed to wear them.

" *** STOP PRESS **** News has come out today (August 30th 2013) that NTS and Unique have reversed their decision to ban the Sgian Dubh at next year’s event. It will now be acceptable to wear your sgian dubh (provided it is kept sheathed at all times). Thanks to everyone who signed this petition."

SpyderEdgeForever

Here is another Sgian Dubh:

[ATTACH]22703[/ATTACH]
Attachments
ScottishSgianDubhDagger.jpg
dialex

Post by dialex »

Although I'm not particularily very fond of those, I do however own one, the plastic (Grivory) version made by Cold Steel. Sort of a backup disposable knife.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
SpyderEdgeForever

That is a good one, I think they call it the Braveheart. There was a series they made some years back called the Culloden and Mini Culloden dirks.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

If I had quite a bit more money at my disposal, I may order a matching Sgian Dubh and Dirk set from a custom maker. I have yet to see one of either that are of reasonable quality and anything approaching traditional for an affordable price, it really does seem like the options are either 1) cold steel, or 2) custom. I would pay 80-100 for a nice sgian dubh, but 500 is a bit much for one knife for me.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:That is a good one, I think they call it the Braveheart. There was a series they made some years back called the Culloden and Mini Culloden dirks.

I hadn't ever seen these, those look pretty cool.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.