Shipping service at stamps.com

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Shipping service at stamps.com

Post by jackknifeh »

Couple of years ago I joined stamps.com before Christmas. I got a free scale. The scale has no display. You need to connect it to the PC to use it. You get a bunch of stamps you can put in your printer and other stuff. The service costs $15.99 per month. This served me pretty well for shipping Christmas stuff and the shipping charges were very discounted. But after a few months I got to thinking I was loosing money since I didn't ship stuff very often. So I called to cancel. They talked me into a $9.99 monthly charge and I kep that. I think I lost a feature or two but whatever it was it was something I never need. So, I'm still good. Then I decided to cancel completely and called them back. They suggested I still use stamps.com with no monthly charge at all. I said ok. This way I could still have the addresses I had saved in the software. Couple of days ago I went to mail a small package weighing 1.5 oz. I think. It would have cost me about $5.60. The stamps.com rate was $1.69 I think. So I changed my plan they had put me on back to the $15.99 per month. Then I sent them an email telling this same story and that I wanted back on the $9.99 monthly charge plan. So, I'm back on that.

I just thought someone may want to use a shipping service with good rates and ship right from your house. Get a free scale also. If you want a better scale you can pay for it. Anyone looking at this would need to see what the initial sign-up is. Anyway, Christmas is coming and it may help some out. You can use USPS.com to ship from the house. The package I was going to ship the other day would have cost $5.90 with USPS.

Just in case anyone is interested. Sign up for the initial plan, get the scale then call them and get put on the $10 monthly rate (if you want). Hope this may help someone. If not, kiss m,,, I mean Merry Christmas. :D

PS edit: When I got the $0 per month plan I didn't realize I would be paying almost $6 for every package I could ship for under $2. If I had realized that I'd just have kept the $9.99 plan.
mrphotoman

Post by mrphotoman »

or just go through usps.com and have no monthly charge and print the postage right off your printer.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

mrphotoman wrote:or just go through usps.com and have no monthly charge and print the postage right off your printer.
Thats true. But the package I mailed today for $1.69 would have cost $5.90 using USPS.com. These were the cheapest prices I had from both sites. So if you send enough packages it's a good deal. Depends on need.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

mrphotoman wrote:or just go through usps.com and have no monthly charge and print the postage right off your printer.
The point being that with the monthly plan, each individual package you ship would be significantly cheaper.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Good post Jack. Unfortunately(?) all our packages are inbound ;) (cough... Spyderco... cough ;) ) Family all lives here so no shipping for birthdays, Christmas etc.

But for folks who do, it seems worth while.

Ken
玉鋼