Anyone else cheat on Spyderco with CRK?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
d.2.the.p

Anyone else cheat on Spyderco with CRK?

Post by d.2.the.p »

So a couple months ago, I was in the market for a new knife. I was looking for a nice Ti frame lock with a 3" or shorter blade to be exact (3" blade limit here in DC). I already have a Techno which I love and carry often and have tried and sold the Leaf Storm twice. Since there wasn't anything else in Spyderco's lineup that interested me, I started looking elsewhere.

Last September, I received a CRK Mnandi with walnut inlays from my brother as a birthday present. Since then, I've carried it to the office almost every day (it splits work pocket time with the Bradley Air). It's an amazing knife - solid, functional, beautiful, and "perfect" from a f&f standpoint. So I figured I'd look at a Small Sebenza.

After much deliberation, I decided on a Small Sebenza 21 Insingo with black micarta inlays. I've got to say that this knife is absolutely astounding. The blade shape is great for my daily knife uses and also looks awesome. The handle fits my hand perfectly, and the inlays provide a little more width and grip to the slender handle. Lockup is solid in all directions. Overall f&f is immaculate. On top of everything else, it's a just slick looking knife.

Keep in mind, I'll always maintain a few Spydies in my EDC rotation (currently CF Caly 3, Micarta 75mm Persian, Chaparral 1&2, Techno, & Nishijin D'fly), but the Seb is here to stay.

Any other CRK fans here?
Clip

Post by Clip »

It's funny you say that, as I just took shipment of a new-to-me large Sebenza 21 two days ago. It's taking some time getting used to thumb studs again, but the F&F of the knife is on par with the Taichung Spydercos (impressive both ways you look at it). Left hand, S35VN, double lug, plain handle. I was in the market for S30V and inlays but these don't show up too often. Might try my hand at giving the scales a brushed, then anodized finish.

Mine's a little bit special in that it's only the second proper left-hand knife in my collection, and I thoroughly enjoy handing it to other people then shouting at them "How does it feel?!" when they try to open it.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

Clip wrote:I thoroughly enjoy handing it to other people then shouting at them "How does it feel?!" when they try to open it.
HAHAHAHA. That's awesome.
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

I've been thinking about it... cheating I mean. Spyderco is my company as I have sold almost every other brand knife I own besides my Ontario Rat One and a few fixed blades. CRK offer something different from spyderco, not necessarily more... but different. I am finding it hard to part with $400 for a knife that I am not sure I will carry as much as my spyderco knives, if it all. But there is something about the Sebenza that calls to me. Strider knives too... but the is something so elegant in the Sebenza design... reminds me of a light saber from star wars... elegant, yet extremely effective. I still have not pulled the trigger so for now, I'm not at risk of sleeping on the couch in the spyderco house!! =o)
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I can not tell a lie. I have wanted one of these since 2008. Finally sold some other less interesting brands to get this. Amaxing F&F.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Oh, yeah, plenty. Mnandis, small and large Regular, Classic and 21 Sebenzas, Umnus, Nyalas, OPKs... :D
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

This thread seems to be perfect timing for many.

I actually just received my first CRK(Small Micarta Sebenza) on Monday. I absolutely love this knife. I was blown away at the F&F. Everything about this blade screams quality. I kicked myself in the butt for waiting over 5 years to get one.

While on the "cheating" subject, I have to admit that I have not really been into Spyderco the last few months as I have other brands.

Come Join Us Click Here
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

cosmo7809 wrote:While on the "cheating" subject, I have to admit that I have not really been into Spyderco the last few months as I have other brands.
I'm kinda in the same boat right now. They haven't released anything recently that has really spoken to me. I REALLY wanted a Domino, but I can't justify spending money on a knife I can't legally carry in the city I live in.
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

DJFrostbyte wrote:I've been thinking about it... cheating I mean. Spyderco is my company as I have sold almost every other brand knife I own besides my Ontario Rat One and a few fixed blades. CRK offer something different from spyderco, not necessarily more... but different. I am finding it had to part with $400 for a knife that I am not sure I will carry as much as my spyderco knives, if it all. But there is something about the Sebenza that calls to me. Strider knives too... but the is something so elegant in the Sebenza design... reminds me of a light sabre from star wars... elegant, yet extremely effective. I still have not pulled the trigger so for now, I'm not at risk of sleeping on the couch in the spyderco house!! =o)
It's well worth the plunge, my friend. I was on that fence for a long time and always found it hard to spend that kind of money on a knife. However, it is just that - elegant but also extremely practical and useful. I will not be babying my CRK's at all.

I, like you, have also been looking at Striders as well. I really want to get my hands on a PT CC, but they're out of stock literally everywhere on the internet. Supposedly, the CC's haven't been plagued with some of the f&f issues that other models in the Strider line have. Also, I don't carry my knives clipped anymore, so the PT CC could work out well.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

I too got rid of some unused knives to get a CRK and just received a small Sebenza today in the mail and its pretty nice. Now I want a small Insingo too (I like the blade style) so I will need to sell more unused items to fund another CRK. :D
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

sir_mike wrote:I too got rid of some unused knives to get a CRK and just received a small Sebenza today in the mail and its pretty nice. Now I want a small Insingo too (I like the blade style) so I will need to sell more unused items to fund another CRK. :D
I think in the future I will be looking into an small micarta Insingo.
*Landon*
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

xceptnl wrote:I think in the future I will be looking into an small micarta Insingo.
You will not be disappointed. My Sm Micarta Insingo has been seeing a lot of pocket time lately. It has slain many a cardboard box and shrugged off landscaping duty in my back yard. It got all gunked up with a ton of ivy and other vines I was clearing out, and it took only minutes to break down the knife, clean it, relube, and put it back together. The blade shape is awesome. It has all the characteristics I love in a wharncliffe blade with the addition of a little belly.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I don't use folders that don't have holes... Tried (even a Sebbie..), but it just doesn't click...

I have considered getting a custom from Sacha Thiel, Deviant blades or Howard Viele who all use the opening hole with a licence from Spyderco.
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

While we're on the subject of confessing our affairs, I may or may not have purchased a used KnifeArt sm Insingo with CF scale very recently as an early birthday present to myself...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

d.2.the.p wrote:While we're on the subject of confessing our affairs, I may or may not have purchased a used KnifeArt sm Insingo with CF scale very recently as an early birthday present to myself...
Pictures or it didn't happen! :D
*Landon*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

My bro just got a large Insingo. Super impressive knife. I have way more respect for CRK than before :) .

That said, buying a $400+ knife isn't really cheating on Spyderco. They aren't designing for the same sales, imo.
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

xceptnl wrote:Pictures or it didn't happen! :D
I'm actually waiting to get it back from CRK. The blade's grind was slightly uneven causing the tip to appear "bent" to one side, so I contacted CRK CS, and they said they'd fix it. These are not currently available at KnifeArt, and I'm not sure if they will be again, so I snatched one of these off the secondary market at a discounted price knowing it wasn't "perfect." However, for the small price of shipping, they will ensure it comes back to me as it should be. Their warranty and CS helps to justify the price.
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

Blerv wrote:My bro just got a large Insingo. Super impressive knife. I have way more respect for CRK than before :) .

That said, buying a $400+ knife isn't really cheating on Spyderco. They aren't designing for the same sales, imo.
Oh absolutely. One's no "better" than the other. Just different. However, what they share in common is giving you a lot of value for the money you spend.
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

I am the opposite I have already done the CRK thing, I guess over the years I have owned 5 of them but I always ended up selling them to my friends. Now that I carry a Tuff I doubt I will ever have another CRK, I like the Spyderco hole better than the thumb studs on the Sebenza. Not to put down the Sebenza but I always thought they lost there edge to quick, I have had the Tuff for six months and have only polished the edge once and it seams I was always sharping my Sebenza, with similar use.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I find framelocks singularly unattractive, but was intrigued enough by all the Chris Reeve hoo-ha to purchase a LH snakewood Mnandi a few years back. I still own it and, as would be expected of anything from Chris Reeve, it's a very well made knife. However, aside from its excellent fit and finish, I can't really find anything to like about it, or about any other Chris Reeve folder I've handled since then. That said, I have been doing a bit of cheating on Spyderco this past year, most of due to the total absence of DA/DE OTF autos in the lineup. :(
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!