5th anniversary gift ideas for my wife... any suggestions??

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DJFrostbyte

5th anniversary gift ideas for my wife... any suggestions??

Post by DJFrostbyte »

Hey fellas,
My wife and I are going to be celebrating our 5th anniversary on September 6th. I've already booked a weekend getaway in a nice resort on the beach in Galveston texas (a short drive from Houston) but that is not enough. Anyone have any gift ideas? And yes, she already has a couple spyderco knives including a Pink LUM and a pink Squeak :D Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rob
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spyderco Dragonfly with wood marquetry overlay from Santa Fe Stoneworks. :D They also offer a matching wood box to store it in.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I know that Wouter showed us pics of a pink Dragonfly 2 but I don't believe it's out yet. What about a purple Delica FFG?

Nice to see another Houstonian on the forums. ;)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Congrats on your upcoming anniversary, DJ! Five years is the first “real” milestone in a marriage. (We just celebrated our own 5th year anniversary on July 4th). :)

If it were me, I would probably suggest getting her a rare or discontinued Spydie (e.g. Kiwi in mother-of-pearl, pink FRN Cricket, Q in any variation, pink FRN Jester, etc.).

Or, if she is already well-equipped with Spydies, you might look at getting concert tickets to her favorite band. This always seems to be a good choice too. :D

P.S. You're right, D1omedes. Just checked and it appears that the pink FRN Dragonfly is not out yet. (However, there are still plenty of pink FRN Natives out there ;) ).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The pink Dragonfly is available from some "national" knife dealer, but I would echo Spydernut's suggestion to maybe look for a discontinued model that could be considered jewelry. Also I know that a few custom engravings can make a plain stainless knife look like something truly special for your someone special. I have some contact info if you decide to go this route, but your timetable may be tight.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Congratulations! I would say firstly, not a vacuum. What does she like? Watches, jewelry? I have a heck of a time with mine. I just celebrated 20. We went on a river cruise.
- best wishes, Jazz.
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

Hey everyone! Thanks for the suggestions! I honestly think my wife would kill me if I bought her another knife. I need something a bit more romantic. She already has most anything a woman could want (she's spoiled). Jewelry is always an option, but I was hoping for something a bit more outside of the box... a bit more non-traditional but still thoughtful and meaningful. I know this is a hard question to ask of people that don't know me, or my wife from Adam. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas that would really blow her away.
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with this but unique jewelry has always been a good thing to get women, IMO. Basically, anything that really reminds them of a specific moment or something that they have really wanted. I know it's vague but that seems to be the conundrum that is the female species - vague hints but specific answers.

If I were you, I'd probably call her siblings or close friends. If you two have gone on special trips then you might want to look into that as well. Just my 2 cents. :)
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Have Louis Vuitton bag delivered to the resort that may work failing the expense of those .
There is some nice jewellery here in the uk its welsh gold very "In" called Clogau .
They have an online site and do some very nice eternity rings which are suitable for anniversary s .
Another option arrange for a private ceromony to renew your vows , roses and champagne ?.
I'm just saying this I don't get my wife any of these things I but her Spyderco knives I like :D .

Edit: you could put a cute puppy in a box but be sure to have air holes ;) women can't resist puppies .
Also just remembered there is a traditional list for various years 5th and I'm not making this up is wood :D ... ;) .
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

DJFrostbyte wrote:Hey everyone! Thanks for the suggestions! I honestly think my wife would kill me if I bought her another knife. I need something a bit more romantic. She already has most anything a woman could want (she's spoiled). Jewelry is always an option, but I was hoping for something a bit more outside of the box... a bit more non-traditional but still thoughtful and meaningful. I know this is a hard question to ask of people that don't know me, or my wife from Adam. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas that would really blow her away.
Hmm. What about getting her a really nice jewelry box? I ordered one for my wife several years ago that was hand-made in Sorento, Italy. You can choose from several different woods/patterns, etc. You can also choose different songs if you go with the music box option. Here's a link: http://www.sorrentomusicboxes.com/

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Are you handy? Make her something, they like that. It's gotta be personal though. Don't go to Home Depot and get a birdhouse kit.

Also, send her flowers at work if she works. That one makes them crazy, especially if she works with other women. They oooh and ahhh, and get all jealous and catty. Only send flowers as a part of a larger master plan, do not just send flowers. You can send her flowers at home too. You could send flowers and show up with flowers. Double whammy! Again, you need more than just flowers.

For God's sake don't buy her a knife or she might use it on you.

A nice leather bound journal with a letter from you on the first few pages. That's a lady killer. I did that for an old ex one time, I ran into her years later and she told me she still had it and it how thoughtful it was and that it always made her think of me. Can't make this stuff up.

I've come to find that with my wife and gifts (and probably most women) more is always better. Get her a bunch of smaller things, but be thoughtful. Does she have a favorite chapstick or lip gloss or one of those other things women are always using? Buy 20 tubes of it. Make a bouquet out of it. Gotta get creative.

Again, I'm not saying do any of these one things and be done. I'm saying do a bunch of them. Shotgun theory, you're bound to get a hit sooner or later.

May I ask you and the ladies ages? Just to get a better idea of who we're shopping for.

Congrats on five years. We're just about to two, and we haven't killed each other yet, so I have high hopes for a couple more.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Rwb1500 wrote:...Congrats on five years. We're just about to two, and we haven't killed each other yet, so I have high hopes for a couple more.
Hee hee. Not killing each other in the first year is always a good sign. :p Just think: two down, only 48 years to go! ;)

razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I got my GF this on Christmas...

Labor of love , took a LONG time to make

Are you on the USN?, Post in the jewelery and apparel subforum, and see if somebody could make a necklace of some sort from Mokume Gane or Timascus or something :D

Slack belt , contoured it

Girls dig it when you make stuff :D
dialex

Post by dialex »

Congratulations on your anniversary. To many more and all the best to you both. Allthough you are saying she wouldn't like another knife, I suspect she would appreciate an SS Ladybug Tatoo for her keyring. Hey, it worked for my wife! ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

Rwb1500 wrote:
May I ask you and the ladies ages? Just to get a better idea of who we're shopping for.

Congrats on five years. We're just about to two, and we haven't killed each other yet, so I have high hopes for a couple more.
We are both 30 years old. I like the idea of making her something or the leather journal with a personal letter in it. She isn't really a high maintenance girl, but she does enjoy nice things. I also like the jewelry box idea... i only wish I had the time and skill to hand craft her one. I appreciate all of your help here. I will definitely do the flowers to her work. I think she'd like that! Any more ideas??
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I've had the best luck with a rule of 3 for gifts: A large central gift, a smaller medium gift, and a useful little stocking stuffer.

Example I gave a girlfriend: A very nice set of earrings, a custom made perfume I created for her, and a Photon II microlight.

Why 3? Here's why: She wore the earings twice, the perfume once, but not a week went by that she didn't thank me for that little Photon II on her keys. Go figure!

Some suggestions:

Sign up for a couples dance class - women love to dance, and its a useful skill for you to learn. I suggest Tango - fairly simple to learn and sexy. You want a class with multiple classes so that you will actually learn something.

A hot air ballon trip would also be very romantic.

For the medium item: Custom Perfume, Jewlery, a Mont Blanc Pen if she's a writer. A high end Iphone case. A lous vuiton, Prada or other italian leather designers wallet. A pair of designer women's sunglasses.

For the small item: Nice set of headphones if she loves music, a small flashlight for her keys, a SPA gift certificate.

Free option: Take a day off work a few days before the trip, and clean the house while she's at work. Major points.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Mark, as soon as i saw your name post up on this thread I laughed and thought he better not recommend his book for an anniversary gift. :p Ok, back to you Rob. What does your wife like? hobbies etc? I have spent a decent amount of $$ on expensive gifts but the well thought out gifts were the ones that everybody remembers...example, I found out that you can have a flag flown over one of the big govenment buildings in D.C. for the cost of the flag. I gave one to my wife's uncle with the flag in a case and the lframed etter showing it was flown for him in appreciation for his service in Vietnam. That hangs in his living room front and center and it came real close to (so he says, although everyone saw it) bringing a tear to his eye. Think hard Rob and you will come up with something that she will always remember. Good luck.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

Man, you guys rock. I have so many great ideas now! So many thanks for your input to everyone! I love being a member here! First forum I've been on where I feel that people are genuinely helpful!
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I was also going to suggest looking into a piece of Mokume Gane (Razorsharp beat me to it) such as a ring like this artist makes:

http://www.mokume-gane.com/index.php?page=home
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

ferris wheel, I will bookmark that for future reference for when the time comes :p